Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Budget 2014 (Merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#41 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,862 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:39 AM

Aye, but it would seem that lots of people of a certain political hue are assuming 'them' refers to, well, them! 

Well, for the Tories it's clearly not 'us'.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#42 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:41 AM

George Osborne doesn't think people will squander their retirement pots. From my dealings with former clients, it will happen. 

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#43 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,862 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:54 AM

George Osborne doesn't think people will squander their retirement pots. From my dealings with former clients, it will happen. 

It doesn't matter if they squander them or not.  If they invest and the market tanks (or whatever variable) then they're screwed.

But it'll be their own fault because poverty is a punishment not a circumstance.

- Severus, July 2012

#44 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:01 AM

Some will, some won't, but at least now people have a choice.

#45 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:03 AM

Well, for the Tories it's clearly not 'us'.

Using 'us' would have been grammatically incorrect.

Says something really when the only response to the budget Balls and his followers can come up with is bluster over a daft PR gaff.

#46 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,632 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:04 AM

It seems that most commentators think this was a rather dull, steady as she goes budget so I can't be bothered looking into it much.

Recent history suggests that budgets tend to collapse into shambles a few days later when everyone reads the small print so it might get more interesting then.

Recent history suggests that budgets tend to collapse into shambles a few days later when everyone reads the small print 

Not just recent history, either, but yes, you are right.

#47 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:09 AM

Some will, some won't, but at least now people have a choice.

Yes, let's sacrifice the misguided, misinformed, vulnerable, disadvantaged & unintelligent at the altar of choice.

LUNEW.jpg

#48 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,862 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:09 AM

Using 'us' would have been grammatically incorrect.

Says something really when the only response to the budget Balls and his followers can come up with is bluster over a daft PR gaff.

They didn't use 'them' either.  But to keep with the grammar police, "we" (as opposed to 'they') would have been appropriate if the Tories really did share a love of bingo n beer, eh?  Or maybe Tories just aren't hard working.

Of course, it's not the only response.  It's one of many.  But it's a useful lightening rod as it focuses us on the sheer out-of-touch-ness of what passes for the government's brains trust and how they think the great unwashed can be appeased.

- Severus, July 2012

#49 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,632 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:11 AM

eh up, sithee, , I think you need to apply Healey's "First Rule of Holes"

#50 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,862 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:11 AM

Yes, let's sacrifice the misguided, misinformed, vulnerable, disadvantaged & unintelligent at the altar of choice.

It will also affect the well guided, well informed, protected, advantaged and smart - because if something goes wrong it'll likely be out of their control anyway.

- Severus, July 2012

#51 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:18 AM

It will also affect the well guided, well informed, protected, advantaged and smart - because if something goes wrong it'll likely be out of their control anyway.

Absolutely, but they'll be able to regale their family and friends with anecdotes on how nice it was to have had a choice!

LUNEW.jpg

#52 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:47 AM

Of course the 1p of a pint is meaningless anyway. What will happen, if it happens at all, is that pubs will knock the penny off for a couple of weeks and then quietly restore the prices back up to their original price as beer is almost always rounded to the nearest 5 or 10 pence these days anyway. Knocking the price down by only 1p is a massive inconvenience to pubs; it means altering all their tills and a large increase in fiddly change. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#53 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,862 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:49 AM

Of course the 1p of a pint is meaningless anyway. What will happen, if it happens at all, is that pubs will knock the penny off for a couple of weeks and then quietly restore the prices back up to their original price as beer is almost always rounded to the nearest 5 or 10 pence these days anyway. Knocking the price down by only 1p is a massive inconvenience to pubs; it means altering all their tills and a large increase in fiddly change. 

Nonsense!  It's a massive boost to the booze industry.  Massive.  It's not a gimmick at all.

- Severus, July 2012

#54 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:23 AM

I haven't looked at the detail of the pension changes but my first thought is that people will take the pot of cash, look at the options available to them in terms of buying an annuity or investing it, and then decide that the returns are either too low or risks too high. Then they'll go to the local estate agent and find themselves a buy-to-let property. Even if it's only a one bedroom flat and it's got a mortgage on half of it the returns will still be better than an annuity and the risk non-existent because prices are only going one way.

End result being a further bump in house prices and more young people unable to get on the property ladder (whilst being ineligible for housing benefit).

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#55 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:24 AM

Are you saying that retired people are misguided, misinformed, vulnerable, disadvantaged and unintelligent?

My, my.  What prejudice.

#56 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:26 AM

Clearly the coalition should have raised the tax on beer then given that you think a tax deduction is meaningless.

I'm glad you're rich enough to take it so lightly!

#57 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:29 AM

I haven't looked at the detail of the pension changes but my first thought is that people will take the pot of cash, look at the options available to them in terms of buying an annuity or investing it, and then decide that the returns are either too low or risks too high. Then they'll go to the local estate agent and find themselves a buy-to-let property. Even if it's only a one bedroom flat and it's got a mortgage on half of it the returns will still be better than an annuity and the risk non-existent because prices are only going one way.

End result being a further bump in house prices and more young people unable to get on the property ladder (whilst being ineligible for housing benefit).

Good grief.  Beware those evil seniors!

Don't worry though because them thar yungsters can always apply for funding under the Help to Buy scheme to assist them on that property ladder.  We must never have young people renting must we?

#58 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,862 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

This was discussed yesterday during one of those responses that apparently didn't happen because no one said anything until the Tories released a poster.  It's certainly a strong possibility and will further hit HARD WORKING PEOPLE's ability to save as rents would likely follow prices upward.  There'd be unlikely to be any impact on prices negatively for a while because of a steady supply of PEOPLE WHO HAD TO LIVE IN BLACK AND WHITE IN THE 50s turning up with a nice wad of cash.

- Severus, July 2012

#59 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,862 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:31 AM

Clearly the coalition should have raised the tax on beer then given that you think a tax deduction is meaningless.

A 1p cut on a £3.50 product is meaningless.

- Severus, July 2012

#60 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:46 AM

A 1p cut on a £3.50 product is meaningless.*

It is meaningless because, as I've already explained, it's highly unlikely the retailer will actually pass the penny saving on. And even if they do pass the saving on, you need to buy 300 pints or so to get one free. I don't know about you, but it takes me quite a while to get through 300 pints, and if I could manage it in a reasonably short time I doubt I'd be in any fit state to notice I'd saved myself the price of one pint! :rolleyes:

* up here the product is about £2.80, but the effect is still the same. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users