Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Now for the next hurdle

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 glemiln

glemiln
  • Coach
  • 211 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:58 PM

Well done Hornets - to demonstrate emphatically the step-up we are achieving for our current level.  Now the difficult bit to carry it on next week and beyond. This result should help with our confidence.

What happened to the kicking machine radar- 7 was it missed?  Let's hope it's out of the system for when it matters.  How did Sheridan fare?

Let's hope for an interesting tie on Tuesday.....Fev or Halifax or Owdum at home?

#2 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:10 PM

Today was a fiesta for the lads to show off their skills and I agree it should do our confidence a power of good!  The All Golds must have felt the way our lads have for the afternoon as Hornets started quick, finished late and ran tries in regularly throughout.  Forget Crooky's missed efforts as it was a bit blustery and his party piece only just failed, he banged one against the far post that just landed on the wrong side!  Hornets, in their inimitable fashion managed to bomb a couple of golden opportunities.

Just one thing that's been bothering me lately about the game in general, am I the only one who lings for the time when referees were not forced to dress up like sodding clowns.  Today's team wore a sickly orange ensemble whilst some are embarrassingly coaxed into shocking pink!!!!  All to suit some sponsor.

Pugwash.

Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

War doesn't decide who is right, just who is left!

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#3 mickhornet

mickhornet
  • Coach
  • 434 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:36 PM

Lewis Sheridan at hooker was a success, speeding up the play the ball.15 tries and 8 goals; 3 players with hat tricks,T'eo, Millard, and Langley.A brace each from  Llewellyn. and Baines, and one each from Crook and Jordan.A veritable feast of entertaning rugby . Well played everyone!!! 

#4 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 358 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:59 PM

I think that the Refs might be sponsored by Specksavers. They have it on the back of their sirts.
It could be a fair comment about their eyesight at times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was rather disapointed that Lewis Sheridan was moved out to the wing and also full back. He was up in support of a couple of breakaways but did not get the try scoring pass.

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

#5 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:37 AM

With a couple of knocks, Doug, I guess Tol had to shuffle players as best he could. I think as long as Lewis is getting game time he's gaining experience at this level. Certainly I think we saw plenty of his potential yesterday, which augurs well for us! Also really good to see Dave Llewellyn back - he gives us an extra bit of poke in the centres. And Michael Ratu was a revelation - arguably his best game yet for us. If we can keep him fit, it gives us another great option in the threequarters.

All round a very accomplished performance yesterday - but Batley are perpetual Grand Finaliists and will test us to the limit. And, let's face it, it's got to be significantly better than a trip to London Skolars...

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#6 The Collector

The Collector
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:32 AM

A very good performance yesterday which illustrated the gulf between Championship and Championship One.

Pleased to see Chris Baines have an outstanding game ( for me he would be in my 17) also Mike Ratu Dave Llewelyn. They all played well and hopefully will boost their confidence for Batley nest week.

Interesting for me was how well the boys gelled together with only one saints player Tilley who played very well. They seemed more settled as a unit and perhaps we over use dual registration players. Only an opinion but sometimes dual registration can be a handicap and not a benefit. We'll have to see how it pans out over the season.

#7 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:54 AM

A very good performance yesterday which illustrated the gulf between Championship and Championship One.

Pleased to see Chris Baines have an outstanding game ( for me he would be in my 17) also Mike Ratu Dave Llewelyn. They all played well and hopefully will boost their confidence for Batley nest week.

Interesting for me was how well the boys gelled together with only one saints player Tilley who played very well. They seemed more settled as a unit and perhaps we over use dual registration players. Only an opinion but sometimes dual registration can be a handicap and not a benefit. We'll have to see how it pans out over the season.

Bainsey played a blinder yesterday, his enthusiasm to follow the ball-carrier and make himself available was great to see. Also tackled himself to a standstill. I'm with you - he'd be in my 17 every week. Nice to see Chris Tyrer back on the field too after his awful Injury last year.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#8 ormskirknet

ormskirknet
  • Players
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:35 PM

Couldnt make it over for the game yesterday, pretty impressive scoreline.

Hopefully this gives us a bit of confidence back to kick on!

#9 The Baron Mk11

The Baron Mk11
  • Coach
  • 770 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE "Just one thing that's been bothering me lately about the game in general, am I the only one who lings for the time when referees were not forced to dress up like sodding clowns.  Today's team wore a sickly orange ensemble whilst some are embarrassingly coaxed into shocking pink!!!!  All to suit some sponsor." UNQUOTE "

I'm with you Puggie, I much prefer the Dickin Green

Kind Regards

The Baron

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

#10 glemiln

glemiln
  • Coach
  • 211 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:26 PM

Interesting points and injuries permitting perhaps an unchanged team is order of the day for Batley. It cannot help with confidence if there is too much change, provided the players chosen are playing for the shirt and well.  Hope that Sheridan can become a regular - speedy playing of the ball is what we need at this level - I believe he's a good kicker too (if Crook's radar remains off target)?  We need to start getting a few points in the table, especially at home....so repeat performance with strong defence please.

#11 ArthurDaley

ArthurDaley
  • Coach
  • 514 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE "Just one thing that's been bothering me lately about the game in general, am I the only one who lings for the time when referees were not forced to dress up like sodding clowns.  Today's team wore a sickly orange ensemble whilst some are embarrassingly coaxed into shocking pink!!!!  All to suit some sponsor." UNQUOTE "

I'm with you Puggie, I much prefer the Dickin Green

Kind Regards

The Baron

One of the best laughs I had at Hornets, many years ago.
Oi ref, theres a pub near here named after you.
The dick in green, even the ref smiled at that.
A large VAT Dave please.

Allso known as Teodozjusz Matuschanskavasky

#12 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 192 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:53 PM

I though Baines had a really good game in the pack and Llewellyn in the centres. I've been going to Rugby League a long, long while but yesterday was the first time I've seen a player head the ball clear ! Well done Ryan.

#13 ormskirknet

ormskirknet
  • Players
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:12 PM

One of the best laughs I had at Hornets, many years ago.
Oi ref, theres a pub near here named after you.
The dick in green, even the ref smiled at that.

That happened last season when we played Fiji in WC warm up game.

We were getting battered by the Fiji side but the biggest cheer of the afternoon went up as we managed to get over the whitewash.......Only for the ref to have spotted something nobody else in the ground or on the pitch had, and chalked the score off.

Even the Fiji coaching team were shaking there heads, what a plonker!

And then just as the crowd calmed down into a quite hush, the famous shout went out............."Oi Ref"

Even the ref himself laughed, brilliant! it was all about the timing

The old ones are the best

Edited by ormskirknet, 18 March 2014 - 12:16 PM.

#14 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:36 PM

One of the best bits of banter I ever heard was whilst stood in the Willbutts and we had a player down injured.  Someone yelled to a tall, pale gangly TJ "How much do you charge to haunt a house linesman?"

With only a half turn he shouted back "How many rooms?"

The place erupted and everybody laughed like a drain.

Pugwash.

Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

War doesn't decide who is right, just who is left!

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#15 Mike Oxhard

Mike Oxhard
  • Players
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:43 PM

Sorry to hijack this thread but...Coming over from Batley on Sunday, any ideas on a good pub? Preferably cheap?, is there a wether spoons near the ground?
Also... When we went to grand final last year we watched your win over Oldham, a guy named Forster stood out a mile for me.. Is he still with you? Cheers look forward to a great game on Sunday

#16 BOLTON ROUGHYED

BOLTON ROUGHYED
  • Coach
  • 666 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:04 AM

Well done Hornets - to demonstrate emphatically the step-up we are achieving for our current level.  Now the difficult bit to carry it on next week and beyond. This result should help with our confidence.

What happened to the kicking machine radar- 7 was it missed?  Let's hope it's out of the system for when it matters.  How did Sheridan fare?

Let's hope for an interesting tie on Tuesday.....Fev or Halifax or Owdum at home?

"To demonstrate emphatically the step-up"......?

You beat Gloucester by pretty much the same scoreline as you did towards the very end of last season.

Here's a demonstration of "stepping up"

Crusaders played 3, won 2 points for 60, points against 68.......

Your record: played 3, lost 3......for 32, against 138......   Yep...You've really stepped up there.

See you next season, back where you belong......Yes....with us...

Kindest regards.

#17 PooingDog

PooingDog
  • Coach
  • 998 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:19 PM

"To demonstrate emphatically the step-up"......?

You beat Gloucester by pretty much the same scoreline as you did towards the very end of last season.

Here's a demonstration of "stepping up"

Crusaders played 3, won 2 points for 60, points against 68.......

Your record: played 3, lost 3......for 32, against 138......   Yep...You've really stepped up there.

See you next season, back where you belong......Yes....with us...

Kindest regards.

Yeah but this time we did it with one hand behind our backs.and our eyes closed.

Don't be bitter, we might only get one season here but we earned it, by slaughtering you lot at the LSV.  :P  :P  :P

Memento mori

Who cares -Wins!!!

Carpe Cerevisi

AKA. Winston Smith

Give 'em a fair trial..........and then hang 'em"

#18 BOLTON ROUGHYED

BOLTON ROUGHYED
  • Coach
  • 666 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:44 PM

Yeah but this time we did it with one hand behind our backs.and our eyes closed.

Don't be bitter, we might only get one season here but we earned it, by slaughtering you lot at the LSV.  :P  :P  :P

Eh?

Of course the best team won at LSV... The best of two poor teams, neither of which would have a hope of competing in the championship, as you have proved already.

Where's the bitterness in my post?

I was just pointing out facts. I'm sorry if you don't like it. I hadn't realised you'd played with one arm behind your backs and your eyes closed on Sunday...When did they introduce that handicapping system? Maybe you should ask Batley to do the same for you this weekend.

#19 glemiln

glemiln
  • Coach
  • 211 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:01 PM

It was always going to be hard to stay up given the advantages of the established Championship teams, but especially coupled with the RFL decision to relegate 5 clubs this season only.   Also, unlike some other clubs, we do not have here today, gone tomorrow benefactors and unlike some are not going to spend money we do not have.   Well, despite our (disappointing) pointless early start to the league campaign and points conceded, I can only hope that we can turn the corner over the long campaign.  Hopefully, last week's resounding victory, which did show we have stepped up a level, will be the catalyst for improved performances and who knows what can happen come the shake out?  Oldham conceded 24 in overcoming Egremont - no step-up there.  If we do join Oldham next season, it will be from an improved perspective, still with a good ground and a bit more money!

#20 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 192 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:51 PM

Sorry to hijack this thread but...Coming over from Batley on Sunday, any ideas on a good pub? Preferably cheap?, is there a wether spoons near the ground?
Also... When we went to grand final last year we watched your win over Oldham, a guy named Forster stood out a mile for me.. Is he still with you? Cheers look forward to a great game on Sunday

Pubs and cheap don't go together these days matey, not in Rochdale anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users