Random thoughts on Wales vs Scotland

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:39 PM

Just got back from Cardiff from a good weekend of ale and rugby union.   Here's some random thoughts in no particular order.

1.  Cardiff has a real buzz about it when Wales are playing.   The whole city is taken over by it.

2.  The locals are very worried by the collapse of junior rugby in Wales, and think that the future of Welsh rugby isn't that great.

3.  Brains SA is still a good drop.

4.  Wales can play a bit.

5.  Scotland are an embarrassment to rugby in all forms.  Could have played for a thousand years and not scored.

6.  Contrary to popular belief on here, they do make a noise during conversions.  Quite a lot of it.

7.  But they talk during the game.   There's a constant bubble of conversation in the background.  You don't hear it at big football games with a similar sized crowd.  Maybe it was because the game had zero intensity.

8.  The game had zero intensity.

9.  Cardiff has *lots* of good looking women.  If I were ten years younger....

10.   I enjoyed the weekend, as a social thing more than anything, and would go again quite happily.

11.  The atmosphere in the stadium was closer to a cricket Test than a rugby league Test.

12.  None of the Scottish team would get close to an SL side.  Not one of them.  Some of their backs aren't Championship standard.  Danny Brough would have been the best player in Scotland by a mile had he joined them.

13.  Quite a lot of the Welsh would play SL easily.

14.  I still remain baffled by RU forward play, but a good dose of ale, some eye candy sat a few rows in front and some good mates to chat to and it all seems okay.

15.  One Scottish bloke in front of us was so drunk he fell off his seat.   This was before kickoff!  He slept through most of the match.  Given he was supporting Scotland, he probably did the right thing.

16.  Charlotte Church's parents keep a decent pub. (in truth, I think they left a while back, but it's still a good, honest boozer)

17.  I could do with an early night...

That's me.  I'm done.

#2 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,168 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:29 PM

I would suggest items 3 and 9 may be connected
God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#3 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,694 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:32 PM

Having lived in Cardiff for 7 years I can confirm a lot of those points.

#4 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,156 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:52 PM

Denton was the workhorse of the Scottish team and probably the sole reason the score didn't get into cricket score territory after Hogg was sent off.  He covered his forward duties and also was seen doing full-back coverage as well.  He was also the one member of the team who actually looked threatening with the ball in hand.  He'd do well in SL if that's his typical performance.

One thing I wish RL refs had both the authority and guts to do is to actually look at the replays on the big screen and change their decision if they get it wrong.  The ref upgrading Hogg's yellow to red was the right decision for both the incident and the game, none of this rubbish "on report".

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#5 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,068 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:21 PM

My random points are

1.The Scottish RL team is way better at their respective sport than the Scottish RU team, heritage players or not.

2. Denton is a fine running forward and is wasted in RU. 

3. The sending off incident would be a caution in RL. The new Wigan full back makes Hogg look like an amateur in the late/dirty hit stakes.

4. When chasing the game and with a penalty 10 yards from the opposition's try line why do RU teams go for the kick to touch and lineout option when they might lose the lineout. ? Why don't they take a tap penalty and have their biggest most powerful forward make a charge for the line followed by the  rest of their pack for a direct score or a ruck right on the line.? 

#6 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 668 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:45 AM

[quote name="keighley" post="2900439" timestamp="1395012095"
4. When chasing the game and with a penalty 10 yards from the opposition's try line why do RU teams go for the kick to touch and lineout option when they might lose the lineout. ? Why don't they take a tap penalty and have their biggest most powerful forward make a charge for the line followed by the rest of their pack for a direct score or a ruck right on the line.? [/quote]

Timewasting? Scotland know they can't score a try against an organised defence in a month of Sunday's so why not waste a bit of time forming a set piece.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#7 WelshpoolMarauder

WelshpoolMarauder
  • Coach
  • 519 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:56 AM

One thing I wish RL refs had both the authority and guts to do is to actually look at the replays on the big screen and change their decision if they get it wrong.  The ref upgrading Hogg's yellow to red was the right decision for both the incident and the game, none of this rubbish "on report".

I personally feel that a lot of RL refs at the top end are afraid of getting the cards out for fear of damaging the game as a spectacle. There was a very ugly hit in the Paramatta v Roosters game by one of the Eels players, which I personally felt was easily as dangerous as the hit Hogg put in, yet it was only put on report. Two referees, neither of them with the bottle to say 'your day is done, sunshine'.

You see all sorts of stuff being let go in league games that union refs wouldn't stand for, and I don't think it does the sport any favours - a game that ignores thuggish behaviour becomes a game that only thugs will play.

#8 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,694 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:45 AM

Denton was the workhorse of the Scottish team and probably the sole reason the score didn't get into cricket score territory after Hogg was sent off.  He covered his forward duties and also was seen doing full-back coverage as well.  He was also the one member of the team who actually looked threatening with the ball in hand.  He'd do well in SL if that's his typical performance.

Putting a player on report does nothing to help the team he 'wronged', but potentially helps their opponents if he is subsequently banned.

Something that RL can learn off RU  :sleep: 

#9 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,865 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:43 AM

I agree that the outcome should always be a decision being made. It's a nonsense in RL when everyone knows a bad tackle or a forward pass (for example) has been made, but nothing is done about it because 'them's the rules'.

I do find it a slightly odd process (as per the final forward pass in the France-Ireland game) when the Video ref is sort of sitting in his box, shrugging like a Frenchman, and the ref looks up the screen and says, 'right, ok I'm calling it a forward pass.' from looking at the screen. I suppose it depends how good the image is and, ultimately, the ref is the final arbiter.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#10 latchford albion

latchford albion
  • Coach
  • 384 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:22 PM

Putting a player on report does nothing to help the team he 'wronged', but potentially helps their opponents if he is subsequently banned.

Well you've taken so much; it's only fair to give something back ;)

#11 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,545 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:52 PM

I too feel 'on report' can be a cop out.

#12 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,068 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:02 PM

Very true. I was at the France v Samoa WC game and two Samoans should have gone which would very probably have given
France a win.

The Samoan miscreants were subsequently banned but that didn't help France merely Samoa's next opponents.

#13 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:35 PM

Denton was the workhorse of the Scottish team and probably the sole reason the score didn't get into cricket score territory after Hogg was sent off. He covered his forward duties and also was seen doing full-back coverage as well. He was also the one member of the team who actually looked threatening with the ball in hand. He'd do well in SL if that's his typical performance.

One thing I wish RL refs had both the authority and guts to do is to actually look at the replays on the big screen and change their decision if they get it wrong. The ref upgrading Hogg's yellow to red was the right decision for both the incident and the game, none of this rubbish "on report".

it was however a poor decision in the first place to give only a yellow.

#14 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,177 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:36 PM

Timewasting? Scotland know they can't score a try against an organised defence in a month of Sunday's so why not waste a bit of time forming a set piece.

I saw this and was baffled by it. They pretty much gave away ball in hand 10m from the try line to create a contest for the ball. :/ unbelievable.  

#15 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:38 PM

I agree that the outcome should always be a decision being made. It's a nonsense in RL when everyone knows a bad tackle or a forward pass (for example) has been made, but nothing is done about it because 'them's the rules'.

I do find it a slightly odd process (as per the final forward pass in the France-Ireland game) when the Video ref is sort of sitting in his box, shrugging like a Frenchman, and the ref looks up the screen and says, 'right, ok I'm calling it a forward pass.' from looking at the screen. I suppose it depends how good the image is and, ultimately, the ref is the final arbiter.

yeah i found that strange. In rl, once it is passed to the VR only the vr can make the decision.

#16 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,156 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:56 PM

yeah i found that strange. In rl, once it is passed to the VR only the vr can make the decision.

I think they changed it to speed up the game.  If the ref sees it clearly on the first run through on the big screen then why bother waiting for someone else to watch it endless more times before making a decision?  It also puts the decision back in the hands of the primary match official to be consistent with the rest of the game rather than a retired referee in his cozy little TV review box to get it wrong.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#17 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,694 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:00 PM

Very true. I was at the France v Samoa WC game and two Samoans should have gone which would very probably have given
France a win.

The Samoan miscreants were subsequently banned but that didn't help France merely Samoa's next opponents.

It's a tough one as we don't want endless stoppages while the video ref checks if anything was missed, but fairly major issues such as a player being put on report could be checked and maybe still have the outcome of inconclusive needing further review, but in many cases it is very clear that something should be done there and then.

I thought Cian Healey was very lucky in the France/Ireland 6N game as late in the second half his flying headbutt on a French a player at a ruck was so blatant and really should have been yellow at the very least. Replays showed a very clear view of him diving across the ruck head first into the French player.

#18 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:33 PM

I think they changed it to speed up the game. If the ref sees it clearly on the first run through on the big screen then why bother waiting for someone else to watch it endless more times before making a decision? It also puts the decision back in the hands of the primary match official to be consistent with the rest of the game rather than a retired referee in his cozy little TV review box to get it wrong.

im not convinced watching it on a big screen from 70yards away is the best process tbh.

#19 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 232 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:52 PM

You see all sorts of stuff being let go in league games that union refs wouldn't stand for, and I don't think it does the sport any favours - a game that ignores thuggish behaviour becomes a game that only thugs will play.

I made this point last year to my club president.  We played a game, the opposition had one player who put in four shoulder charges in a row amongst the 17 or 18 he did in the game.  Not even a word from.  Somebody didn't know rules but one of our guys was injured off one of them and my view is how can we win players when the referees refuse to protect their safety?

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

#20 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:47 PM

I made this point last year to my club president.  We played a game, the opposition had one player who put in four shoulder charges in a row amongst the 17 or 18 he did in the game.  Not even a word from.  Somebody didn't know rules but one of our guys was injured off one of them and my view is how can we win players when the referees refuse to protect their safety?

Was the shoulder charge banned at that stage?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users