Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

cougars game

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#181 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,541 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:48 PM

And I know it was just because we were short on backs but Jarrad is wasted in the centre and at times was too far away from the action to talk to the ref

totally agree, we don't get enough out of him at centre. stack is our heart and we need him influencing play.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#182 homeandawayer

homeandawayer
  • Coach
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:07 PM

And I know it was just because we were short on backs but Jarrad is wasted in the centre and at times was too far away from the action to talk to the ref

The pity was that the only time the ball got past Forber and into the hands of Big Red he scored a great try. Did he touch the ball again??

#183 homeandawayer

homeandawayer
  • Coach
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:16 PM

come on, he wasn't the one who dropped balls on the first tackle or caught well out of position for 40-20 kicks. Yes he was awful, but surely after 1 of 2 you should twig what he's going to be like and not give him a chance to get involved, some of the decisions like the ball steals where the fans were going crazy were the correct decisions and actually quite blatant. At 18 points up with 20 to go there is no excuse for losing the game.

So everytime we got in their half and he gave them a penalty it didn't influence the game...we'll agree to differ.  I could see a big improvement in the first half , Connor might've been at fault there and if he'd caught the ball off the chipover we wouldn't be having this conversation , but i think we've found his best position with a bit more practice.

#184 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,541 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:30 PM

So everytime we got in their half and he gave them a penalty it didn't influence the game...we'll agree to differ. I could see a big improvement in the first half , Connor might've been at fault there and if he'd caught the ball off the chipover we wouldn't be having this conversation , but i think we've found his best position with a bit more practice.

i agree with Kayle, and I don't think not being in position for a 40-20 is his fault as he's never played in this position before. That comes with experience, we desperately miss ell miller. As he's a natural finisher and great positioning in defence.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#185 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:38 PM

Gutted about today's result we should've put the game to bed, Connors chance in the second half would've won us the game IMO the game changed as Coward Lupton and James went off the field. Some of the decisions given by the man in the middle were shocking especially the one that led to the winning try where their full back caught the ball and went in to touch behind the dead ball line. Let's go to Dewsbury and come back with something, we have a new coach who can only take us forward were seeing changes in our attack already. Let's get behind our lads!!!

Edited by scott, 24 March 2014 - 03:38 PM.

#186 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:49 PM

Lions hornets haven town & barrow. The writings on the wall. Them 5 should beef up C1

#187 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:14 PM

It's a bit early to be writing us off just yet, the coach has only had 3 games and their is no reason why it can't be turned around.

We looked good in the first half as we played structured nearly error free rugby. Then a mixture of bad errors, bad decision making, bad luck, bad reffing, and also good play from the Cougars turned the game on it's head. We just couldn't get any possession to stem the fight back. Also a mixture of Matty, Carter, Miller, Olstrum not playing and another 4 players playing out of position to cover them all made a difference especially when you are playing a half back who can manage the game and the ref the way Handforth can. The ref seemed to cave in after he marched them 10 yds for back chat and then he had a long talk about it and proceeded to cane us after that, but some of the pens were def justified and it was our own stupid play.

Edited by The Voodooguru, 23 March 2014 - 10:15 PM.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#188 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:25 PM

It's a bit early to be writing us off just yet, the coach has only had 3 games and their is no reason why it can't be turned around.
We looked good in the first half as we played structured nearly error free rugby. Then a mixture of bad errors, bad decision making, bad luck, bad reffing, and also good play from the Cougars turned the game on it's head. We just couldn't get any possession to stem the fight back. Also a mixture of Matty, Carter, Miller, Olstrum not playing and another 4 players playing out of position to cover them all made a difference especially when you are playing a half back who can manage the game and the ref the way Handforth can. The ref seemed to cave in after he marched them 10 yds for back chat and then he had a long talk about it and proceeded to cane us after that, but some of the pens were def justified and it was our own stupid play.

I would love to agree with you. However after today a must win I am sorry but its bleak.

#189 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 871 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:29 PM

God people are really down, no ones responded all day, Im disapointed as much as anyone, but every team is capable of beating each other in this league( Leigh the exception) haven beat the Rams, Barrra beat the Eagles, the Eagles beat the Rams, the Hornets beat the Dogs, there will be upsets all season no dout about it, the Cougars will surprise a few, I expected the Brow to give them a game in the CC  as they are one of the best around but the Cougars nilled them, yes at 18 points up we should have pushed on, but once the ref gave  them a team warning they hardly put a foot wrong, they got the bit between there teeth with some help of the ref mind ! we had our chances to draw level but for what ever reason went for the kill instead of taking the two on offer.

Jordan James had a great game, would like to see more of him in a Town shirt, Callum played well but for me he was jumping about trying to throw the dummy to much, if he had passed to Jordan on one occation we would have won the game, anyone know what was up with Hopkins? for me Dudson looked unfit, young Connor apart from two silly penaltys tackled well and looked ok, we really missed Matty mind, his tackling around the ruck was a miss as where his scoots from dummy half, think he may be missing for a while.

With the right mind set and somebodys back I think we could get something in our next match, heres hoping!!

#190 HOLYMOLY

HOLYMOLY
  • Coach
  • 249 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:02 PM

This so called "partnership "is no good for team moral,and stops the continuation of the same fellas playing week in week out with each other. How can a team just throw in two or three players from another and hope they gel with the rest,it's just won't happen. Keighley don't have this problem and will get stronger as the season goes along,as you did see. Personally this D/R,Parnership stuff really sticks in my throat.

Just my opinion ,all the best for the rest of the season

#191 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:10 PM

Do you gave any knowledge about the team morale at town?
This season is about the club not the players and they need to understand that. Fair enough if they're getting replaced by inferior players but if we get relegated and Haven don't how many will stick with town out of loyalty if they get offered more down the road? A couple at best!
It's time to think about the club not the individual and if that upsets a few then so be it. It'll say more about them as individuals than it will about the club. Everyone has had a game now so it's up to the coach to decide who he thinks is capable.
For once there's a bigger picture and ego's don't come into it.

Edited by GeordieTownie, 24 March 2014 - 04:11 PM.

#192 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,002 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:33 PM

Holymoly it's an entitled and arguable opinion , but I'm afraid our lack of recruitment in the offseason left us no other option if we want to compete for the 9 . We signed Haney and Mcgoff as first grade players , and have three amateurs who it's a gamble to throw in . Mcavoy has been the one diamond .We are frighteningly exposed without this artificial stimulus . As I've said all along , I hope we've got it right . Our fate may well rest with the quality and attitude of Wigan players ? But now we've gone down this route we have to go all in .

Edited by DavidM, 24 March 2014 - 05:08 PM.

#193 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:17 PM

cant believe you let an 18 point lead at  home slip away guys!

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#194 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,002 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:26 PM

Nope , we can't and we were there . Three times we should have won games we lost . Coach will no doubt be mulling that one . We'll only know later if they were fatal ... Positive - we can get into these positions . Negative - not being clinical ( in all our games ) ,and a very tough fixture list to claw it back . I have faith in this bloke to get a grip of things , I think he's what we need but we've made it very hard work . Also , this league is looking much less set in stone and much more unpredictable and topsy- turvey than other years . But still , four lost points at home that were there then gone hurt like hell .

Edited by DavidM, 24 March 2014 - 05:48 PM.

#195 HOLYMOLY

HOLYMOLY
  • Coach
  • 249 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:56 PM

Holymoly it's an entitled and arguable opinion , but I'm afraid our lack of recruitment in the offseason left us no other option if we want to compete for the 9 . We signed Haney and Mcgoff as first grade players , and have three amateurs who it's a gamble to throw in . Mcavoy has been the one diamond .We are frighteningly exposed without this artificial stimulus . As I've said all along , I hope we've got it right . Our fate may well rest with the quality and attitude of Wigan players ? But now we've gone down this route we have to go all in .

I'm optimistic about your season,I believe Town and Keighley will scrape thru,just. If,god forbid,one of us goes down I feel it may be a long haul back. All the best

#196 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,903 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:04 PM

This so called "partnership "is no good for team moral,and stops the continuation of the same fellas playing week in week out with each other. How can a team just throw in two or three players from another and hope they gel with the rest,it's just won't happen. Keighley don't have this problem and will get stronger as the season goes along,as you did see. Personally this D/R,Parnership stuff really sticks in my throat.
Just my opinion ,all the best for the rest of the season

That's easy to say for clubs in the heartlands of West Yorkshire where you have a multitude of players on your doorstep. Our isolated position makes it much tougher to attract players without paying them over the odds and so the DR system at least gives us some options. I don't think any of us particularly like the system but if it helps us compete then it's something we have to accept. I'd love to see a team of 17 local lads on the field but the reality is that at this level that isn't viable, especially in this crucial season.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#197 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,844 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:26 PM

The club has proved over the past few seasons our loyalty to the local players and even yesterday we had 9 Cumbrians and 3 others who live here in the 17 man match squad.    I don't think any local player has any cause to feel put out by us using DR.   It is a system that I and others would not use by choice but this season is so vital that we couldn't afford to get to the nitty gritty part of the season and find we were short of players to fullfil vital fixtures for any number of reasons.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users