Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

cougars game

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#141 Monkeydo

Monkeydo
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:54 PM

Load of ###### ###### that 2nd half. Think we might have the dumbest set of players in the whole league. Its hard to know where to start, Farrell does a couple of good things but at least 3 stupid things, Connor doesn't seem to understand what a 40-20 is, Lupton at the end trying go over from dummy half when he's as quick off the mark as an oil tanker, Forbers 'defence' and non existant creative game, Callum throwing dummy after dummy when there's no one next to him to dummy to! Good luck trying to sort that mess out Vievers!
Remember the rubbish 2nd half against Swinton? The defence was flying off the line at times, well today they clearly couldn't be bothered to do that.
The less said about that ###### cobb the better too.

#142 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,002 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:54 PM

Probably a first ... I have literally no idea what to say .

#143 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:06 PM

If you asked March which players to take off the field for Town he'd have said Brett Phillips, James and McAvoy. We done that for him and lost all momentum allowing there pack to get on top and win them the game
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#144 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,541 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:08 PM

That's the type of performance that sees you playing championship 1 next year. To be be cruising 22-4 with 25 to go and to get beat is shocking. Other than James who I thought was outstanding, the Wigan lads done nothing at all. Murphy from an attacking point was non existent compared to Brett and tierney. Lucock just isn't ready, and when we introduced him and duerden for mcavoy and Brett we just fell apart. Why we never done one high bomb into the sun is beyond me. Dan rooney to spell mcavoy would be perfect as both there defences are top drawer but how he dosent make the bench is beyond me. We missed olstrums work rate late on and either Brett or tierneys skill when coming into the line. Very very poor today.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#145 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,002 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:15 PM

Our attacking kicking game is non existent ... How easy did they make it look . Two tries from kicks and one from 40/20 .Our whole attack is so clunky and lacking direction . Do we practice passing the ball accurately and quickly ? So much aimless side to side . I could see that coming from the minute Farrell dropped the ball first tackle - we totally lost all momentum . Cobb - sorry I won't go there ... And yet twice we have clear loose balls to score , and firstly two blokes can't pick it up off the floor , then Connor tries to catch it with one arm ? Everything is so so difficult . I don't know where you go from that - with four Wiganers!
Good luck Phil

Edited by DavidM, 23 March 2014 - 05:16 PM.

#146 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,541 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:23 PM

Yeah we said afterwards that Farrells dropped ball was the turning point, but to completely fall to pieces was awful. No offence to keighley but they were a poor outfit and to lose at home to them means your destined for the drop. Totally agree with gillmeister, taking Brett,mcavoy and James off was poor decision making.

#147 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:24 PM

If you asked March which players to take off the field for Town he'd have said Brett Phillips, James and McAvoy. We done that for him and lost all momentum allowing there pack to get on top and win them the game

My sentiments also,and why we didn't take the kick at the end for a draw god knows, also why did we not take the two penalties on offer which would have meant they had to score 4 times (which they did !) The game should have been put to bed we only have our selves to blame, but nine penalties against us in a row from the 14 year old ref didn't help. We need to get our heads up and go to Dewsbury next week believing we can win that one.

#148 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,002 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:26 PM

And their bloke did exactly what stack did ... Caught it then put his foot over the line ... Penalty then winning try . Cheers

#149 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,002 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:28 PM

Unicorn that's a symptom of control and direction ... Who's taking charge , who's grabbing hold of us at it slips away ? Two old halves yet again who run rings round us

#150 Monkeydo

Monkeydo
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:31 PM

Callum needs some help sharpish from someone with plenty of experience and WHO CAN KICK! He also needs the forwards to give him a chance of pulling some of his dummies off by actually running some lines and making the defence think

#151 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:17 PM

I can't believe that second half, we were playing well and containing them.Then all of a sudden we couldn't control the ball or the game and let them back into it. With 1:30 ish on the clock and we run a kickable penalty - REALLY?!?!?
I think it's clear from that performance Dudson had no interest in being up here on DR. The other 3 players had a go and James especially played really well.
Absolutely gutted that we threw that game away.
Did anyone hear what vievers had to say afterwards? How did he explain the collapse?

Edited by The Voodooguru, 23 March 2014 - 06:31 PM.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#152 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,541 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:34 PM

I can't believe that second half, we were playing well and containing them.Then all of a sudden we couldn't control the ball or the game and let them back into it. With 1:30 ish on the clock and we run a kickable penalty - REALLY?!?!?
I think it's clear from that performance Dudson had no interest in being up here on DR. The other 3 players had a go and James especially played really well.
Absolutely gutted that we threw that game away.

thats always going to be the risk with dual reg. how much do the lads really want to be here, our lads are desperate to keep the club up, but the Wigan lads can't have that passion about a club there not signed to. We've had a good few up now, James and tierney have been excellant for us and Hopkins gave us his all. But the others haven't looked any better that the lads we have. But youve got to remember we were missing Matty, carter,miller and olstrum who are all match winners on there day. We need at least a bonus off the rams next week.

#153 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:40 PM

Barring 15 minutes (where we fell apart) we were easily the better team. Only difference being they scored a lot more points when they were on top. I think we made changes that along with some terrible decisions gave them the advantage. But why we never take kicks to keep the scoreboard ticking over is beyond me. If we were the type of team who score from every play then fair enough but we aren't so it's daft not to take points when they're on offer.

#154 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,002 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:50 PM

We had to take that last kick , but I think by then we were so scrambled , anxious and frustrated we weren't really thinking . Those tries we gave up were so so soft , but so often for us at the other end it's such blooming hard work ! I thought James was good , and I actually thought Murphy did well at fullback. We must be looking at the pivots and our direction , quality and threat there . Our passing at times to the edges is woeful . Very frustrating , we're not losing to world beaters. Brett and Mcavoy are 80 minute dynamos , did we think we had it won ?

Edited by DavidM, 23 March 2014 - 06:56 PM.

#155 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:50 PM

Unicorn that's a symptom of control and direction ... Who's taking charge , who's grabbing hold of us at it slips away ? Two old halves yet again who run rings round us

Our assistant coach should have taken charge of the situation especially as he was on the field
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#156 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,844 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:08 PM

Let's be honest we haven't looked like an attacking force all season and we should have been even further ahead than we were at half-time with a bit more composure.   The game changed in the second half when we took off James and Coward and brought back Dudson and Shacks, who didn't have a bad game.   We didn't have the same go forward and that plus Handforth taking over the refereeing duties resulted in 9 consecutive penalties against us.   

On today's showing we have a long way to go before we can be confident of avoiding the bottom 5 and some players need to realise that fact.  When we start to play like a team then I'm sure our results will pick up but there was too much amateurism on display from a match winning position, which let's face it, we have seen on several occasions before today.      They kicked 2 good long 40/20's with the wind and we expected the same in the second half but I can't remember us even attempting one and that has happened in other games both this season and last.

Of the Wigan lads Jordan James was outstanding, Connor Farrell was trying but any better than Rooney, not sure, Dudson was a big disappointment and he didn't look fit to me.    Young Murphy was steady but offered nothing in attack.    We definitely need a half-back soonest or else Callum is going to be burned out in a few games time.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#157 anok4u

anok4u
  • Coach
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:24 PM

How frustrating to watch was that 2nd half ( felt sorry for Keith having to watch it with his dodgy ticker),first half I thought we played some decent stuff but Jesus the 2nd half was a lesson into how to implode,stupid penalty after stupid penalty ffs..fair play to the cougars for not giving up.
Oh and the difference between stack and the cougar player was stack caught the ball in play and then stepped out,the cougar player caught the ball over the line...
go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

#158 Ben10

Ben10
  • Players
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:25 PM

[quote name="DavidM" post="2904445" timestamp="1395600601"]

We had to take that last kick , but I think by then we were so scrambled , anxious and frustrated we weren't really thinking .

Peter was thinking and said to go for the two but to be overruled by the bench!!

#159 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,002 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:28 PM

Cheers mate . It's one of them that's great if it works , so tough one . I thought James was gonna power over again but not to be . It didn't get to him , dudson had a go I think then the knock on which amazingly Cobb spotted ...

Edited by DavidM, 23 March 2014 - 07:32 PM.

#160 homeandawayer

homeandawayer
  • Coach
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:34 PM

Excuse me!  As Keith says we got 9 consecutive penalties against us in the second half, not to mention forward passes and knock ons that were ignored.  How do you propose to hold out for the win under all that pressure?

If we were a top team maybe but we're not and with hardly any ball it gave Keighley the impetus they needed then it snowballed. There have been some valid points made but we were easily the best team until the kid with the whistle intervened. I'm not a ref basher generally , we usually beat ourselves but not today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users