Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Today

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:41 PM

Well you can only beat what is put in front of you and we certainly did that, Rugby League can be a cruel sport when your outclassed by stronger and faster opponents and today Oxford were put to the sword from virtually the first minite. With a half time score of 52 -0 it was a no contest but credit to Oxford they never gave up in the 2nd half and held the damage limitation to 66 -6 ...I think that's how it ended. On a day when every bounce of the ball virtually went our way plus,s for me were the performance of Mathew Tebb who looks a fine prospect and the goalkicking of Andy Ballard who kicked a few from the touchline today, only negative was Aston Wilson left the field early to what looked like a recurrence of an injury.

Posted Image

#2 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 437 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:56 AM

I heard before the game Wilson was out injured so not sure why he was risked if that is the case.

I think half time we lost us momentum we had & came out 2nd half thinking we could score by just running through them.

I'm not sure this year is our year to get to wembley but a wins a win & I hope oxfords performance wasn't a ploy for the league game next week.

#3 Lapu Lapu Hun

Lapu Lapu Hun
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:12 AM

I heard before the game Wilson was out injured so not sure why he was risked if that is the case.

I think half time we lost us momentum we had & came out 2nd half thinking we could score by just running through them.

I'm not sure this year is our year to get to wembley but a wins a win & I hope oxfords performance wasn't a ploy for the league game next week.

Some ploy to lose by 62 points in the hope of winning at home. Maybe Hawks second half was a ploy so that next week they can rack up 100 plus as league more important than the Challenge Cup.  

#4 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 893 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:28 AM

Some decent team tries yesterday, performances all round were certainly a few notches on last week, even bearing in mind the quality of the opposition. The half-backs - Grimmer especially - got more involved, and Hood and Tebb doing hooking duties offered more March had done the previous week. A good sign that several changes, plus a couple of early injuries to Wilson and Oakes, didn't seem to knock us off course.

After spending the entire first half in the role of bewildered onlookers, Oxford bucked up a bit after half-time with the wind behind them and more possession, put one or two moves together and maybe should have had a couple more, which should be regarded as a warning against any complacency for the trip down there next weekend. 

#5 gabby

gabby
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:49 AM

I think what was more important was the number of tries we didn't score. We had a few ruled out for being touch in goal etc, but several overlaps were wasted by players dying with the ball with men unmarked. A good side will take advantage of our 'greediness'.
It is far better to remain silent and be thought a fool
than to open your mouth and prove that you are.

#6 maccca-6-

maccca-6-
  • Coach
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:56 AM

I thought jimmy watson would av got a few 2day
hunslet hawks champions 2010

#7 james cunny

james cunny

maximus aurelius

• Coach
  • 5,287 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:22 AM

If he got a pass a couple of times after we made a break he would have done should be in team every week if not at full back on wing he's our best support player when someone makes a break
Hunslet Hawks Champions 2010

#8 maccca-6-

maccca-6-
  • Coach
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:05 AM

I agree. Very good support player, I just think we look more solid with kainy at fullback

#9 Duck Egg

Duck Egg
  • Players
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:34 AM

I thought jimmy watson would av got a few 2day

It wasn't the lads fault to be fair. He was expected to play the full 80mins, but had to leave early due to the failed promise of a lift...

#10 Gazmeister

Gazmeister
  • Coach
  • 242 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:59 AM

I predicted a score of 64:6 on Hunslet’s Facebook page.  Does that mean I win two free tickets?

I spoke to Jimmy after the game in the bar and he said him and Grimmer couldn’t have bought a try today.  He certainly tried to get on the score board and it certainly wasn’t through the lack of trying.  I lost count how many times the line was broken and he was in support play and the player either didn’t pass it or it went the other way.  It’s one of those games where he could have either scored four or five or not any at all.

As for Jimmy or Kainy at full back, I think the decision will always be split as they are different types of players.  It depends on whether the manager likes a defensive player or an attacking player – I think Barry Eaton prefers the former than the latter.  But an attacking player is always exciting to watch.

I think both will play next week.  Kain will drop to FB and Watson will go in the centre for Wilson.

PS....Ballard still cannot jump for a ball in the corner.  As soon as the opposition pick this up on video I think we are going to be in trouble there    

#11 maccca-6-

maccca-6-
  • Coach
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:06 AM

I predicted a score of 64:6 on Hunslet’s Facebook page. Does that mean I win two free tickets?

I spoke to Jimmy after the game in the bar and he said him and Grimmer couldn’t have bought a try today. He certainly tried to get on the score board and it certainly wasn’t through the lack of trying. I lost count how many times the line was broken and he was in support play and the player either didn’t pass it or it went the other way. It’s one of those games where he could have either scored four or five or not any at all.

As for Jimmy or Kainy at full back, I think the decision will always be split as they are different types of players. It depends on whether the manager likes a defensive player or an attacking player – I think Barry Eaton prefers the former than the latter. But an attacking player is always exciting to watch.

I think both will play next week. Kain will drop to FB and Watson will go in the centre for Wilson.

PS....Ballard still cannot jump for a ball in the corner. As soon as the opposition pick this up on video I think we are going to be in trouble there

Fair point. It's a funny 1 when talking about wingers defence cause my opinion is they're not in team to defend but it's a massive advantage if they can. I've not really seen many over the years who have defended well

#12 Neverumind3

Neverumind3
  • Players
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:05 PM

To add to the injuries Liam hood just said on twitter he's got to go for an op at LGI..like KOL said we can only beat whats put in front of us. I think it will be a bit tougher down at there place next week but any kind of win will do for me

#13 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:03 PM

you have to smile when you win a game 68- 6 and yet someone finds fault.

Thought the announced  attendance was about right, but noted that no one from HIST replied to our queries about the given attendance for the York game-- all the queries came from supporters who are members of HIST, I thought it would have been polite to answer them. 

#14 maccca-6-

maccca-6-
  • Coach
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:10 PM

Thought the announced attendance was about right, but noted that no one from HIST replied to our queries about the given attendance for the York game-- all the queries came from supporters who are members of HIST, I thought it would have been polite to answer them.

Who's found fault?

#15 morley-hawk

morley-hawk
  • Coach
  • 513 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:08 PM

Thought the announced attendance was about right, but noted that no one from HIST replied to our queries about the given attendance for the York game-- all the queries came from supporters who are members of HIST, I thought it would have been polite to answer them.

Ask the Club directly rather than putting questions on the forum, we don't bite!

#16 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:48 AM

The people asking the question on here- are the club.

Do you remember the last time the Oxford coach Trevor Benson was at SLS he was the coach at London Skolars and brought a team of "unknown players" for a game played on a Monday evening. During this game the referee asked the club photographer  to leave the  touchline as the Skolars players were complaining to him about having their photos taken-- that referee was Mathew Thomasson the same as on Sunday.

Just a piece of useless information I thought I'd share with you.

#17 Progman

Progman
  • Coach
  • 363 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:00 PM

AGM on Thursday ask questions then

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users