Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tom Lillycrop

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,079 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:19 AM

Ditto Tommy G eh BSJ ? The problem with veteran players - especially props, is that you have to rotate them more often, which cuts down your options.

Too true and one reason not to read too much into individual performances in Sunday's game. One thing I noticed (if I'm correct that is) was that Farrell played the full 80 minutes - if I am right then that is some performance.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#22 graham fisher

graham fisher
  • Coach
  • 245 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:39 PM

That's the only downside to having a big squad & not running a 2nd team,trying to keep players happy!! To me Tom is too good a player to be sat up in the stands,and the same apply' s to Wright,Farrell & Buchanan it's going to be tough this week when picking your 17!!!

#23 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:53 PM

Although still against amateurs. Lets' not build him up too high before he has had a proper chance to prove himself against stronger sides.

Whoa BSJ.  Your sensible and pragmatic approach to all things posted on here is to be admired, but!!! Were not the whole team playing against the same amateurs?  The superstar known to you as Walshaw and indeed all of the team were playing against the same oppo and we all saw who stood out.  That said I fully expect him to miss out on Sunday. One thing I have learned over my forty years watching the mighty rams is if ever I rate somebody the coach doesnt.  Its painful and frustating, but having this forum to vent my spleen has made it almost bearable. I also concede that I dont know who I would srop to put him in the team.

#24 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,079 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:46 PM

It is worth noting that GM hasn't just come across Tom in the past couple of years but has been involved in his coaching for quite some time beforehand so was well aware of his potential and if he seemed to be improving or going backwards over the last year.

As GF rightly says the lack of a second team is a major drawback for many clubs. Unfortunately it costs money to run such a team, which is difficult for all under the current circumstances.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#25 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:58 PM

Whoa BSJ.  Your sensible and pragmatic approach to all things posted on here is to be admired, but!!! Were not the whole team playing against the same amateurs?  The superstar known to you as Walshaw and indeed all of the team were playing against the same oppo and we all saw who stood out.  That said I fully expect him to miss out on Sunday. One thing I have learned over my forty years watching the mighty rams is if ever I rate somebody the coach doesnt.  Its painful and frustating, but having this forum to vent my spleen has made it almost bearable. I also concede that I dont know who I would srop to put him in the team.

Don't think either Tonks or Hales have kicked on any more than Lillicrop has TBH - they'd be my choice for "resting".

#26 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 799 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:43 PM

What do people mean when they say his "face doesn't fit".

#27 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:43 PM

scott hale tackles for his life for  80 mins , worth a lot in my book.

#28 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:45 PM

They mean similar to my mug never getting on the front cover of time magazine . sithee.

#29 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:39 PM

Tom. You are one of the most articulate people who posts on here.  You know what it means

#30 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,565 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:12 AM

Tom. You are one of the most articulate people who posts on here. You know what it means

Articulate???

You mean like a lorry?

;) ;) :)

#31 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,079 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:36 PM

Tom. You are one of the most articulate people who posts on here.  You know what it means

The implication of the phrase is that the decision was taken for reasons other than his performance and abilities. Are you saying that this is the case NickD?

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#32 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,079 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:38 PM

And I have never labelled Walshaw as a superstar, just for the record.

:rtfm:

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#33 John North

John North
  • Coach
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:29 AM

Not sure what NickD's beef is tbh.

The club posts a statement from GM explaining the reasons for Toms departure (something we never saw in the Jowitt era)

What more can the club do.

Red Amber Black - Its that simple

#34 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,079 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:01 PM

Whoa BSJ. Your sensible and pragmatic approach to all things posted on here is to be admired, but!!! Were not the whole team playing against the same amateurs? The superstar known to you as Walshaw and indeed all of the team were playing against the same oppo and we all saw who stood out. That said I fully expect him to miss out on Sunday. One thing I have learned over my forty years watching the mighty rams is if ever I rate somebody the coach doesnt. Its painful and frustating, but having this forum to vent my spleen has made it almost bearable. I also concede that I dont know who I would srop to put him in the team.

I bet you were a big Phil Artis fan weren't you Nick?

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#35 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:31 PM

phil artis was one of the best players   i have ever seen in a dewsbury shirt ... , well for one game anyway .

#36 YOUNG UN

YOUNG UN
  • Coach
  • 752 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:05 PM

phil artis was one of the best players   i have ever seen in a dewsbury shirt ... , well for one game anyway .

Wasn't there once a match day  programme, can't remember where, but the type error had him down as P ARTIST?

#37 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,565 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:13 PM

Nar it was his brother

Pizz who turned out that day

;)

#38 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,079 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:49 PM

phil artis was one of the best players i have ever seen in a dewsbury shirt ... , well for one game anyway .

Player of the year one season then couldn't get in the team the next.

Thankfully that sort of thing never happens nowadays.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#39 Eagletarian

Eagletarian
  • Coach
  • 4,587 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:51 AM

Confucius asks, Is T'Lillycrop the same as Flower Plucking or Plower Flucking?   Be careful, Dr. Spooner fill your boots!!!!!.....You thought you were playing at Sheffield on Sunday but you really will be playing at the Dogs!!!!

Rugby League should be the opiate of the people (Marks not in Las Palmas)

Posted Image

#40 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:09 PM

And I have never labelled Walshaw as a superstar, just for the record.

:rtfm:

Indeed you haven't BSJ. My apologies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users