TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Match Reports

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Official Rams Updates

Official Rams Updates
  • Coach
  • 255 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:27 PM

As you may have noticed, long time supporter and accomplished writer Chris Osbaldeston (Ossy) has taken to writing a weekly match report. The great thing about Chris writing a match report is that he can convey within it emotion from a supporters point of view which is likely to connect with that of other supporters.

Rather than start a new topic each week, Chris's match reports will be posted in this thread. They are always a good read and so enjoy some literary brilliance from someone that has watched the Rams for over 50 years.

DEWSBURY RAMS 76    WEST HULL ARLFC 10.

We were fifteen minutes or so into this game before I really began to relax. Makali had just sidestepped his way over for his second try to add to those already scored by Dale Morton and Tommy Gallagher; and Tom Hemingway was busy slotting over the conversions despite the wind. Then the West Hull outfit hit back with a well worked try on The South Stand side from winger Kristian Barker that started me wondering again!

The game didn’t really change a lot. The next try was a long range beauty from Aaron Brown, and even when The Rams fumbled a high kick leading to a second try for Louis Crowther, converted by Ian Kerman things didn’t change too much.

Right away Rams came back with a try from Joel Farrell picking up at acting half and going over by the posts. Hemingway added the extras, extending the lead to 32-10 when the half time hooter sounded.

The second half was always likely to be difficult for the amateurs and so it proved. Though they battled bravely it was Dewsbury who applied the pressure, and a hat trick of tries in ten minutes from Shaun Robinson was matched when Joel Farrell added a further two tries to his first half score. With Louis Sherriff, Shane Grady and new signing Ewan Dowes going over for further tries, and Tom Hemingway adding six conversions The Rams romped home 76 – 10.

To be honest I thought the attendance of 433 was a disappointing one. The visitors might have been overwhelmed in the end, but they never gave up, and fully deserved the noisy reception they got from both The South and The Main Stands as they left the pitch.

Teams :-  Dewsbury Rams – Louis Sheriff; Dale Morton; Joel Farrell; Shane Grady; Tom Hemmingway; Ryan Wright; Kieran Hyde; Tommy Gallagher; Lucas Walshaw; Makali Aizue; Jordan Grayston; Shaun Robinson; Aaron Brown.  Subs :- Stephen Nash; Ewan Dowes; Greg Scott; Matthew Haggerty.    

West Hull  :- Joshua Hart; Ian Kerman; Christian Barker; Lewis Brown; Sam Radford; Ashley Rout; Ryan Langton; Bryon Newby; Dean Thompson; Paul Shaw; Thomas Radley; Callum Windley; James Garmston.  Subs :- Aaron Hickinbotham; Kial Arnett; Louis Crowther; Scott Howlett.

Referee :- A. Gill. 

Follow us on twitter @DewsburyRams

Facebook: https://www.facebook...buryrams?ref=hl

Our website: http://www.dewsburyrams.co.uk/

Email: info@dewsburyrams.co.uk

#2 Official Rams Updates

Official Rams Updates
  • Coach
  • 255 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:56 AM

Here's another cracker from Ossy:

Dewsbury Rams v Workington.

March 30th, 2014.

I know we’ve got the big one against Wigan coming up on Friday but, given the disappointing performances we’ve seen from The Rams in the past couple of league games, this was always going to be an important game for us. Not least because we’ll probably be seeing five of the Worky squad again in a few days time; though this time they’ll be wearing Red and White! Ah well, I’m getting on in years I suppose, but the game seems to be changing a little too rapidly for my liking.

In the end though it didn’t make a great deal of difference, so I won’t mention it again!

Anyone who was worried that we might suffer some sort of hangover after last week’s performance didn’t have to wait very long to be put out of their misery - some ten minutes to be precise. By that time we’d notched up two tries, Wayne Grady crossing for the first in the corner after 5 minutes, and Anthony Thackeray repeating the dose a couple of minutes later. With Tom Hemingway adding both conversions we were off and running.

Though Haven hit back with a try of their own from Gil Dudson, converted by Kayle Connor, any nerves we might have been feeling disappeared in the final moments of the half with a 35th minute penalty from Kieran Hyde. When this was followed by a couple of quick tries from Greg Scott and Karl Pryce I was finally able to relax a little.

Half time :- Rams 22 Workington 6.

Having said that, the second forty was no walkover. It might have started well enough with Dale Morton crossing for another try after three minutes, but this was a far more focussed performance from the Cumbrians, one that forced us to work for our victory. Aaron Brown broke down the centre of the pitch before handing on to Karl Pryce, only for the centre to be hauled down in the corner.

The disappointment was short lived however, Greg Scott crossing for his second try around the 50 minute mark and, with Kieran Hyde adding the conversion from the touchline, Rams were 32 – 6 in front and looking comfortable. Maybe they backed off a little at this point, then again maybe Worky were beginning to show their true colours, but it was at this point that I started to worry again.

A couple of quickfire tries from centre Andy Morris, the second of which was converted by Kayle Connor, narrowed the gap to 32 - 16. They were kicking well at this stage, but The Rams were throwing the ball around and one stunning break down the right deserved a try only for the final pass to go to ground.

To be honest I thought there were rather too many errors at this point, but the defence was good and Workington were unable to take advantage and it was Dewsbury who completed the scoring with a neat kick through and a second try from Thackeray. With Tom Hemingway’s conversion completing the scoring at 38 – 16 in favour of The Rams we can now look forward to the Warriors on Friday evening. If you haven’t already got your tickets please don’t leave it any longer, we need all the support we can get. Hope to see you there.

Dewsbury Rams :- Kieran Hyde; Dale Morton, Karl Pryce; Shane Grady; Greg Scott; Aaron Brown; Anthony Thackeray; Ewan Dowes; Tom Hemingway; Ryan Hepworth; Scott Hale; Lucas Walshaw; Rob Spicer. Subs :- Ryan Wright; Makali Aizue; Tommy Gallagher; Stephen Nash.

Workington :- Jack Murphy; Jason Mossop; Jarrad Stack; Jack Hughes; Kayle Connor; Carl Forber; Callum Phillips; Kris Coward; Peter Lupron; Jordan James; Brett Phillips; Connor Farrell; Liam McAvoy. Subs :- Andy Morris; Daniel Rooney; Marc Shackley; Gil Dudson.

Referee :- Tom Crashley

Attendance :- 747

Man of the Match :- Rob Spicer.

Edited by Official Rams Updates, 31 March 2014 - 11:56 AM.

#3 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,267 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:28 PM

Why would you post the reports on here, surely they should be on the website and you could post a link to it here, whats the point in having a website if you dont drive traffic to it, there is a short report on the website but its rubbish, give Chris some space on the website, while im at it, you have Steve who is a very competent photographer, use a couple of his match pics in the report to compliment Chris's report, come on guys, its really not that hard and is much more professional.

#4 Official Rams Updates

Official Rams Updates
  • Coach
  • 255 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:44 PM

Why would you post the reports on here, surely they should be on the website and you could post a link to it here, whats the point in having a website if you dont drive traffic to it, there is a short report on the website but its rubbish, give Chris some space on the website, while im at it, you have Steve who is a very competent photographer, use a couple of his match pics in the report to compliment Chris's report, come on guys, its really not that hard and is much more professional.

Steve usually posts them on the website, and they are posted on here so that supporters can read them.
Like wise they are posted on Facebook and linked through our twitter.

The reports are presented by Ossy and if he is happy with them without the need for images then that is his choice and one I respectfully uphold. Should he decide to use images then that too is fine.

Regarding professionalism i respectfully disagree, we have a comprehensive social media strategy that covers all the information supporters want/need. The days of driving people to one place for information are gone. I believe that we should target the places online that supporters frequent and take the information to them, not expect them to chase a myriad of back links and routes so we can keep everything succinct and make our own lives easier.

We take the information to the supporters, we provide in game updates for those who can't make the game, we also provide footage/highlights of both home and away games and we present them with a well written match report written in the prose of a supporter. That is on top of regular updates and personal responses.

Posting links and expecting supporters to follow them to a source of centralised information is exactly the type of thing I am trying to avoid.

In regards to season tickets and online kit (once available) then supporters will be provided links and directed to the site where applicable. But they won't be forced by a promise of information. That information will be freely provided.

Edited by Official Rams Updates, 31 March 2014 - 05:58 PM.

#5 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,267 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:37 AM

Whatever, just another excuse for sloppyness and lazyness, youre missing the point.

#6 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:06 AM

Whatever, just another excuse for sloppyness and lazyness, youre missing the point.

No Gary, I think it just means someone has a different opinion to you.

#7 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,769 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:46 AM

Steve usually posts them on the website, and they are posted on here so that supporters can read them.
Like wise they are posted on Facebook and linked through our twitter.

The reports are presented by Ossy and if he is happy with them without the need for images then that is his choice and one I respectfully uphold. Should he decide to use images then that too is fine.

Regarding professionalism i respectfully disagree, we have a comprehensive social media strategy that covers all the information supporters want/need. The days of driving people to one place for information are gone. I believe that we should target the places online that supporters frequent and take the information to them, not expect them to chase a myriad of back links and routes so we can keep everything succinct and make our own lives easier.

We take the information to the supporters, we provide in game updates for those who can't make the game, we also provide footage/highlights of both home and away games and we present them with a well written match report written in the prose of a supporter. That is on top of regular updates and personal responses.

Posting links and expecting supporters to follow them to a source of centralised information is exactly the type of thing I am trying to avoid.

In regards to season tickets and online kit (once available) then supporters will be provided links and directed to the site where applicable. But they won't be forced by a promise of information. That information will be freely provided.

I do take Gary's point though. If I want to read the match report on an away fixture, I do tend to go to the website of the club involved, as I suspect would many other fans. Those fans may not use this forum, and would not be aware Ossy's report exists. Maybe Ossy would be happy to have his reports included on the Rams website in his own little column - "A supporters view" or something similar for those who don't like social networks, but would like to see a more comprehensive report than the official one.

#8 Official Rams Updates

Official Rams Updates
  • Coach
  • 255 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:08 AM

I do take Gary's point though. If I want to read the match report on an away fixture, I do tend to go to the website of the club involved, as I suspect would many other fans. Those fans may not use this forum, and would not be aware Ossy's report exists. Maybe Ossy would be happy to have his reports included on the Rams website in his own little column - "A supporters view" or something similar for those who don't like social networks, but would like to see a more comprehensive report than the official one.

I'll pass this onto Steve, and then if he goes with it I'll ensure a link is shared on the away teams forums and with their social media.
Id not considered it from an away supporters perspective, good idea.

Thanks

#9 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,267 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:29 AM

No Gary, I think it just means someone has a different opinion to you.

Yes, a wrong one LOL

#10 Ossy

Ossy
  • Coach
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:15 PM

("If I want to read the match report on an away fixture, I do tend to go to the website of the club involved, as I suspect would many other fans. Those fans may not use this forum, and would not be aware Ossy's report exists. Maybe Ossy would be happy to have his reports included on the Rams website in his own little column - "A supporters view" or something similar for those who don't like social networks, but would like to see a more comprehensive report than the official one.")

Thanks for that 'Grumpy',

There are several reasons why I started writing the reports again ... 

1. Not only do I enjoy writing them, but I was getting terminal earache from some of my fellow South Standers... not least from Nana Fox and the rest of The Barmy Army, and

2. I don't think the match reports we see on many of the Kingstone Press club websites do justice to the game I've followed for the past 50 odd years.

BUT ... for various reasons I can't guarantee to be there at every game and can't be tied down to a guaranteed report which is one of the reasons I stopped doing them in the first place. But now I'm back and will do all I can to continue writing them - perhaps under their old title 'A View from The South Stand' - because that's all they are, one man's view from The South Stand. How the club decide to make use of them I leave to them, but I do hope attention will be paid to the wishes of the supporters.

By the way, I'll be there on Friday evening for what promises to be quite an evening so why not come along and join me?

Chris

Edited by Ossy, 01 April 2014 - 05:17 PM.

#11 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,753 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:34 PM

I guess you prefer antisocial media Gary.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#12 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:30 PM

Yes, a wrong one LOL

You could have made the same point without accusing someone of being sloppy and unprofessional.

As for "driving traffic" to the website, I doubt it would add more than half a dozen hits to the website.

#13 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,267 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:10 AM

I guess you prefer antisocial media Gary.

Never used twatter or facefuk

#14 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,267 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:13 AM

You could have made the same point without accusing someone of being sloppy and unprofessional.

As for "driving traffic" to the website, I doubt it would add more than half a dozen hits to the website.

Of course its sloppy and unprofessional, look at the ###### that masquerades as a match report on your website, its just a 100 word copy and paste from an RFL flyer by someone who never even attended the game, how lazy is that.

#15 Official Rams Updates

Official Rams Updates
  • Coach
  • 255 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:54 AM

Of course its sloppy and unprofessional, look at the ###### that masquerades as a match report on your website, its just a 100 word copy and paste from an RFL flyer by someone who never even attended the game, how lazy is that.

Hi Gary,

Are you a Dewsbury supporter? Are you aware the website is in the lengthy process of being rebuilt so to pull away from the standard, somewhat restrictive template that it currently uses. The issue that we are restricted as to what freedom we have with the template, and creating new placeholders is something we can't do. If you know about websites then you'll understand what I mean when I say we are completely bound by the current CSS. If you don't, this means we can't change the format of the current site, literally all we can do is update/create text in current HTML <tag> <li> etc

There was a statement put out a short while back explaining this. That's why I ask if you're a Rams supporter, if you are I fully apologise you weren't aware and will refresh the statement for you.

Thanks

Edited by Official Rams Updates, 02 April 2014 - 08:19 AM.

#16 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:12 AM

To be fair although gary (uncle fester)coyle is a batley supporter he does take an interest in rugby league in general although a number of clubs have banned him from their grounds owing to him scaring the kids with his looks .

#17 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,267 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:40 AM

Hi Gary,

Are you a Dewsbury supporter? Are you aware the website is in the lengthy process of being rebuilt so to pull away from the standard, somewhat restrictive template that it currently uses. The issue that we are restricted as to what freedom we have with the template, and creating new placeholders is something we can't do. If you know about websites then you'll understand what I mean when I say we are completely bound by the current CSS. If you don't, this means we can't change the format of the current site, literally all we can do is update/create text in current HTML <tag> <li> etc

There was a statement put out a short while back explaining this. That's why I ask if you're a Rams supporter, if you are I fully apologise you weren't aware and will refresh the statement for you.

Thanks

As Keith says, not a rams fan but an RL fan, i used to do web design so know exactly what it involves and its so easy anyone could do it, if fact i produced the website template which Batley, Dewsbury, Sheffield and Thornhill used a few years back

Nobody is asking you to change the current format even though it looks very restrictive but if you can copy and paste a 100 word match report then why not just do the same with Chris's report and stick in a couple of img tags if so inclined to include a couple of match pics from Steve, it really is very simple.

#18 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,267 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:41 AM

To be fair although gary (uncle fester)coyle is a batley supporter he does take an interest in rugby league in general although a number of clubs have banned him from their grounds owing to him scaring the kids with his looks .

How dare you  :biggrin:

Edited by Gary Coyle, 02 April 2014 - 08:42 AM.

#19 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,769 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:43 AM

("If I want to read the match report on an away fixture, I do tend to go to the website of the club involved, as I suspect would many other fans. Those fans may not use this forum, and would not be aware Ossy's report exists. Maybe Ossy would be happy to have his reports included on the Rams website in his own little column - "A supporters view" or something similar for those who don't like social networks, but would like to see a more comprehensive report than the official one.")

Thanks for that 'Grumpy',

There are several reasons why I started writing the reports again ... 

1. Not only do I enjoy writing them, but I was getting terminal earache from some of my fellow South Standers... not least from Nana Fox and the rest of The Barmy Army, and

2. I don't think the match reports we see on many of the Kingstone Press club websites do justice to the game I've followed for the past 50 odd years.

BUT ... for various reasons I can't guarantee to be there at every game and can't be tied down to a guaranteed report which is one of the reasons I stopped doing them in the first place. But now I'm back and will do all I can to continue writing them - perhaps under their old title 'A View from The South Stand' - because that's all they are, one man's view from The South Stand. How the club decide to make use of them I leave to them, but I do hope attention will be paid to the wishes of the supporters.

By the way, I'll be there on Friday evening for what promises to be quite an evening so why not come along and join me?

Chris

Regrettably I can't be Ossy - just can't make it. Keep up the good work.

#20 Official Rams Updates

Official Rams Updates
  • Coach
  • 255 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:13 AM

As Keith says, not a rams fan but an RL fan, i used to do web design so know exactly what it involves and its so easy anyone could do it, if fact i produced the website template which Batley, Dewsbury, Sheffield and Thornhill used a few years back

Nobody is asking you to change the current format even though it looks very restrictive but if you can copy and paste a 100 word match report then why not just do the same with Chris's report and stick in a couple of img tags if so inclined to include a couple of match pics from Steve, it really is very simple.

Thanks for your suggestions, ill pass them on to Steve.

Hopefully there will be noticeable changes soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users