Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

London - the big question

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 293 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:58 PM

Just how many people are involved in rugby league in London?

In terms of players, coaches, volunteers etc....

Im wondering if the Broncos low crowds are a result of previous bad management ignoring the core people, or whether people are simply not interested in the broncos, and the numbers are only there as schools have kids playing rather than them choosing to play.

Can anyone provide a ballpark figure? What I am trying to find out is the actual catchment area in its current state

#2 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 413 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:21 PM

Whilst I'm not actually answering your question I'm afraid... I remember reading about a community club once whose junior games were mainly on the same day as Broncos' (at the stoop).. Travelling to the game after the junior games would take an hour minimum. Vast majority weren't willing to take that trip.

Complex nature of London and pro-RL I suppose.

Edited by welshmagpie, 17 March 2014 - 11:32 PM.

#3 EssexRL

EssexRL
  • Players
  • 99 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:48 PM

Important to recognise that while Broncs are having a dire time RL in London is in good shape. Lots of amateur sides with youth, mini, women teams. It will be interesting to see how many are at London Skolars on Sunday.
London Skolars

#4 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,115 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:23 AM

Here's a list of clubs, with a drop-down menu to see how many teams they run. http://www.londonrl.com/clubs

I know that's not the whole answer, but part of it at least.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,892 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:40 AM

The clubs from London this year at open age will be:

London Broncos

London Skolars (2 open age sides)

South West London Chargers (3 open age sides)

Staines Titans

Beckenham Bears

Newham Dockers

Fulham Foxes

Wests Warriors

Except for the 2 pro clubs the oldest club at open age level is Newham Dockers who were founded in 2012. The last 2 named clubs are brand new ANZAC social clubs

#6 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:07 PM

another open age are Hammersmith Hills Hoists

#7 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,973 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:12 PM

EDIT: I'll wait for people who know what they're talking about.  This time.

Edited by gingerjon, 20 March 2014 - 01:13 PM.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#8 Mister C

Mister C
  • Coach
  • 606 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:13 PM

And quite a few more if you count "inside the M25" as London For example if i were to drive from Central London to Elmbridges ground i wouldn't leave suburbia at anypoint!

#9 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,892 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:01 PM

Think they've folded, unless they've decided to regroup in the entry league

#10 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:10 PM

Think they've folded, unless they've decided to regroup in the entry league

well you live and learn! I thought they were fairly established. Obviously expat clubs are always in danger of losing too many key people too quickly. Is that what happened there? Perhaps that explains the new anzacs popping up.

#11 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,892 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:38 PM

well you live and learn! I thought they were fairly established. Obviously expat clubs are always in danger of losing too many key people too quickly. Is that what happened there? Perhaps that explains the new anzacs popping up.

A mixture of lack of off field support and the pub that sponsored them (Walkabout) being sold so they couldn't afford travel. Generally I think the problem has always been London having for the most part separate junior clubs and open age clubs plus so many clubs being set up in proximity. Fulham Foxes are Aussies and Wests Warriors Kiwis I believe

#12 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,171 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:13 PM

West warriors are (i believe) a group of lads who played try tag rugby. All big Kiwi boys.

Not quite London but certainly falling under the remit of London RL you have Elmbridge eagles, Esher Exiles, Southend Spartans, Weald Warriors, Susses Merlins, Portsmouth Navy Seahwaks (pushing it a bit i know).

Theres been talk of a Brentwood (essex) team, which i assume, be made up of ex-Barking & Dagenham players. For a couple of seasons theres also been attempts at getting an open age team started in Enfield.

Hoists folded as the Walkabout who sponsored them closed their doors, though expect some of their players to turn up at SW Chargers,Fulham or Wests Warriors.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#13 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:49 PM

Not quite London but certainly falling under the remit of London RL you have Elmbridge eagles, Esher Exiles, Southend Spartans, Weald Warriors, Susses Merlins, Portsmouth Navy Seahwaks (pushing it a bit i know).

Are these clubs under the London banner or is there a south/south east/south west kind of split?  There's Medway Dragons in Kent too isn't there but presumably they are too far away from London to come under London?

#14 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,892 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:54 PM

West warriors are (i believe) a group of lads who played try tag rugby. All big Kiwi boys.

Theres been talk of a Brentwood (essex) team, which i assume, be made up of ex-Barking & Dagenham players. For a couple of seasons theres also been attempts at getting an open age team started in Enfield.

Hoists folded as the Walkabout who sponsored them closed their doors, though expect some of their players to turn up at SW Chargers,Fulham or Wests Warriors.

Brentwood Eels have been accepted into East division 1 next season. They've run juniors for a long time so some players will be from there as well.

#15 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,892 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:55 PM

Are these clubs under the London banner or is there a south/south east/south west kind of split?  There's Medway Dragons in Kent too isn't there but presumably they are too far away from London to come under London?

London and South East have one governing body (but separate leagues) and East has another. The best teams from the East play in London premier and Esher and Elmbridge play in London 1 despite being just outside

#16 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 293 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:02 AM

this is all very confusing haha, 

so do we think there are less than 1000 people in London playing regular league at all age groups? or more like 10k?

#17 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,942 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:18 AM

this is all very confusing haha, 

so do we think there are less than 1000 people in London playing regular league at all age groups? or more like 10k?

"London and the South East has 18 clubs region wide that provide playing opportunities for our community players from ages 7 - 18. in 2012 over 1500 players have registered across over 60 teams....."

Just a cut and paste to assist

#18 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,171 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:41 AM

Well at the Dockers, last year we had U14s, U16s, U19s and open age teams. This year, due to the funding cuts (Sport England funding from the RFL funded two coaches for two of the Junior teams) we are only running U15's and an open age team. So participation figures fro last year will probably look better than this year.

Some of the Broncos young coaches also coached at London amateur clubs (I assume funded in the same way our coaches were), and as those coaches are no longer with the Broncos i expect other amateur clubs have been impacted as we have with having to cut some junior teams due to lack of resources.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#19 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,892 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:35 AM

London itself only:

Under 19s

London Broncos

London Skolars

Under 17s

London Skolars

Croydon Hurricanes

Staines Titans

Charlton Gunners

Under 15s

London Skolars

Newham Dockers

Croydon Hurricanes

Staines Titans

Brixton Bulls

Hayes & Ealing Vikings

Under 13s

London Skolars

Charlton Gunners

Croydon Hurricanes

Hayes & Ealing Vikings

Richmond Warriors

Staines Titans and Newham Dockers are the only amateur clubs to run open age and juniors in London

These are playing in London, East and SE based divisions split north and south at each age group

#20 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 217 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:54 PM

What about people running primary RL teams?  They always get forgotten about.

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users