England head coach Steve McNamara happy selecting Kevin Sinfield

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:41 PM

I'd carry him in an extended squad good player , missed one tackle in a game so what....raced up off the line......against Johnson's footwork him and Burgess were probably done for once Johnson decided to pull finger and make a do or die play.....racing up to shut Johnson down before he got stepping and weaving is a gamble......might of payed off. 

#22 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:18 PM

try something new in the Halves

Could that have been worded better?  Is an experiment appropriate at this level? Just try something to see if it works? Good plan! To be honest, I think I trust McNamara's and Sinfield's  skill, ability and experience  over that of the fans.

If England had beaten Australia in recent times it may be best to stick with a proven combination.

He has had many opportunities and in the main he has performed a tradesman like role.

How long should England persevere with Sinfield? he will be 34 by the time the Four nations starts and he has never been the quickest player even in his prime.

If he can not take on the line himself as well as distribute the ball he is a player that is easily read and shut down at Test level.

Its not as if replacing him is change for changes sake, time moves on and he has had more opportunities than many players in the England squad.

#23 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:24 PM

I'd carry him in an extended squad good player , missed one tackle in a game so what....raced up off the line......against Johnson's footwork him and Burgess were probably done for once Johnson decided to pull finger and make a do or die play.....racing up to shut Johnson down before he got stepping and weaving is a gamble......might of payed off. 

He should never have had England in that field position in the last few seconds of the game.

The fact it is well known that he is not the quickest opponent would have given Johnson the confidence to take him on and step him.

If he is selected you would think he would still be named the Captain and that means he would need to be on the field more than off it.

Its up to him and the Coach I guess but it will have England off to the wrong start for this four nations IMO

#24 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:28 PM

If he plays, you know he wont let you down. I would like to see him play one last series and maybe hand over the captaincy to Widdop at the end of the series, if they do win then that is a great send-off for him. 

His achievements deserve to be recognised. 

He might not even get to the four nations. Even at 34 he is still better than most.

Lockyer is still missed by Brisbane even after 2 years gone. Basketcase in the halves. 

#25 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:49 PM

Players like Locky are not easily replaced by any club, but you have to have a plan and players coming through for when the day comes (or buy one).

Growing old slowing, down and perhaps getting injured more often are guaranteed facts.

#26 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:11 PM

I like many others had egg on our faces after the wonderful game against NZ, Sinfield was pivotal in all we did good and has earned my respect , maybe we should not jump in two footed anymore? Sure he missed a tackle and his career will be over soon, i feel my confidence was restored in RL over the last few months and we should celebrate these players as much as possible.
We are losing stars of our game to RU and a more positive approach from all of us must help the whole game.

The missed tackle was bad enough and it wasn't the first time during the World cup that Sinfield did that however it was his failure to kick the ball out of pay with just 80ish seconds left that really showed him up.

#27 weststiger

weststiger
  • Players
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:43 PM

Start a fresh England build the team around Widdop,who has started the NRL season in fine form?

#28 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,592 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:50 AM

The missed tackle was bad enough and it wasn't the first time during the World cup that Sinfield did that however it was his failure to kick the ball out of pay with just 80ish seconds left that really showed him up.

Easy to call the plays from the comfort of a chair,judging by your comments,you'd have made the correct play or have put in a bone crunching tackle.Shame you weren't selected to play in the semi final,no doubt England would now be the World Cup holders.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#29 UxbridgeBunny

UxbridgeBunny
  • Players
  • 84 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:07 AM

Personally I would like to see sinfield and widdop play together for one comp. The NZ semi was their first real time together in the halves and was such an improvement over what had come before. Sinfields forever remembered for the missed tackle but he played two fabulous passes to set up 2nd half tries. Widdop is as good as the best of the Aussie halves in my opinion and takes the pressure of sinfield with infield kicks. The value of two kickers was evident in the final when Australia constantly closed down the only kiwi kicker. This must be sinfields last tournament so give him a chance to atone for his error. I would like to think McNamara has an idea of what follows (but I doubt he does), whether that be widdop/tomkins with hardaker at fb or mend his bridges with brough. To compete with Australia we definitely need multiple kicking options, with Smith, cronk and JT you simply can't close Australia down nor know where the balls going, with England previously relying on just kev it's not really his fault the opposition have known what's coming at times

#30 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:11 PM

Sinfield has to go. We need to begin building a spine for the 2017 RLWC. The reason Australias team is so good is because of the chemistry between Cronk Thurston Smith and Slater.

We need to have a spine which has played at least 7 or 8 times together before the 2017 RLWC. The time to build it starts now.

#31 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:40 PM

Personally I would like to see sinfield and widdop play together for one comp. The NZ semi was their first real time together in the halves and was such an improvement over what had come before. Sinfields forever remembered for the missed tackle but he played two fabulous passes to set up 2nd half tries. Widdop is as good as the best of the Aussie halves in my opinion and takes the pressure of sinfield with infield kicks. The value of two kickers was evident in the final when Australia constantly closed down the only kiwi kicker. This must be sinfields last tournament so give him a chance to atone for his error. I would like to think McNamara has an idea of what follows (but I doubt he does), whether that be widdop/tomkins with hardaker at fb or mend his bridges with brough. To compete with Australia we definitely need multiple kicking options, with Smith, cronk and JT you simply can't close Australia down nor know where the balls going, with England previously relying on just kev it's not really his fault the opposition have known what's coming at times

I agree, assuming they are both in form I see no reason to not start the 4 Nations with Sinfield and Widdop.

For all the polemic about Sinfield, I would much rather see him partner Widdop or even Tomkins in the halves than Chase.

#32 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:08 PM

I like many others had egg on our faces after the wonderful game against NZ,

Third out of three.   Again.

The egg's on your face because you accept and excuse years of mediocrity in our national team.

That's me.  I'm done.

#33 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:12 PM

Personally I would like to see sinfield and widdop play together for one comp. The NZ semi was their first real time together in the halves and was such an improvement over what had come before.

Oddly enough, it's for the same reason that I'd like to see Sinfield dropped.   Assuming he won't be around for the WC it looks like we'll persevere with him for a couple of years then spend two years casting around for a halfback partnership before finally settling on a pairing at the last moment.

How about gently retiring off Sinfield and doing the looking about now so that we don't have the same problem again in a few years time?

I don't know who the halves should be. Someone on the young side preferably.

That's me.  I'm done.

#34 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 296 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:13 PM

Here we go again, Macnamara putting himself in a corner. A fairly large proportion of us on here said the Sinfield and Chase pairing was wrong and we were proved correct. He alienated Brough and then stuck his head in the sand till the very last minute and then he changed it.

He will not see sense and makes these comitments. We should of been well into a Widdop/Brough combination by now, yet we are going to be stuck with Sinfield(missing vital tackles and conversions) once again. I would not be suprised if he begged Chase to come back and stuck Widdop on the bench again.

Sinfield did play in the s/final but we still lost and a large part of that is down to Sinfield/Burgess/Sinfield in that order.

Edited by jacksy, 19 March 2014 - 05:18 PM.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

#35 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:13 PM

I agree, assuming they are both in form I see no reason to not start the 4 Nations with Sinfield and Widdop.

For all the polemic about Sinfield, I would much rather see him partner Widdop or even Tomkins in the halves than Chase.

Setting aside the obvious problem of his Kiwi-ishness, he'll be past his best by the next WC.

Anyone have a list of 20-25 year old English halves to hand?

That's me.  I'm done.

#36 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,592 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:18 PM

Here we go again, Macnamara putting himself in a corner. A fairly large proportion of us on here said the Sinfield and Chase pairing was wrong and we were proved correct. He alienated Brough and then stuck his head in the sand till the very last minute and then he changed it.

He will not see sense and makes these comitments. We should of been well into a Widdop/Brough combination by now, yet we are going going to be stuck with Sinfield once again. I would not be suprised if he begged Chase to come back and stuck Widdop on the bench again.

Sinfield did play in the s/final but we still lost and a large part of that is down to Sinfield/Burgess/Sinfield in that order.

If we fail to win the next world cup with your preferred half back combination,will you have been proved wrong?

#37 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 296 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:24 PM

If we fail to win the next world cup with your preferred half back combination,will you have been proved wrong?

That combination will never happen now.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

#38 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,592 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:26 PM

Nice swerve.

#39 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:18 PM

If they make bad decisions and miss vital tackles then yes!

#40 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:42 PM

Setting aside the obvious problem of his Kiwi-ishness, he'll be past his best by the next WC.

Anyone have a list of 20-25 year old English halves to hand?

Some I can think of:

S Myler

S Ratchford

M Smith

J Mellor

STomkins

G Widdop

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users