Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Workington town

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 maccca-6-

maccca-6-
  • Coach
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:38 PM

Aren't new clubs allowed to start up?

Any new club that starts up won't straight away have away following especially long distance.

These clubs from the outside seem to have the same level of home support as us & I am sure we have had a fair few hammering in the past.

Time will tell if they will survive living within their means in the semi pro game.
But surely they deserve the chance to at least give it a go.

Skolars are still going & I am sure people questioned their presence.

Our support wouldn't be bad if the club announced the proper figure. 409 against york was an insult. They must think were thick
hunslet hawks champions 2010

#22 hunslet ramone

hunslet ramone
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:53 PM

True Macca ,

On look North tonight , there was a maths teacher on the pitch at Elland Road teaching young kids maths.

Could we book him for The South Leeds Stadium , to add our crowd numbers up.

Good job the guy that gives out our crowd figures don't teach them kids. 

#23 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:19 AM

Aren't new clubs allowed to start up?

Any new club that starts up won't straight away have away following especially long distance.

These clubs from the outside seem to have the same level of home support as us & I am sure we have had a fair few hammering in the past.

Time will tell if they will survive living within their means in the semi pro game.
But surely they deserve the chance to at least give it a go.

Skolars are still going & I am sure people questioned their presence.

To me Mike the games still a Northern game and documentation won't prove otherwise , London have been trying for years and thats with the RFL bankrolling em , Crusaders started in the south , team full of Aussie's , no visa's for some of em , and then just pushed straight into SL and look where that went , The thing is with the RFL (this new regime) , is that they should learn to walk before they can run , when i watched Hunslet at Elland Rd in the 80's if only i could have foreseen the future , big stadiums , empty seats but this is how the RFL have pushed the game , trying to make it bigger than what it is , when the games struggling in strong catchment area's , and maybe a French side being brought in next season , Lord Lucan would have been a better Treasury than this lot.............

#24 Progman

Progman
  • Coach
  • 319 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:41 AM

At least these new teams are starting at the bottom and have some teams near them to get some rivalry going

#25 maccca-6-

maccca-6-
  • Coach
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:58 AM

At least these new teams are starting at the bottom and have some teams near them to get some rivalry going

Yeah thats true jeff. But say for example hunslet warriors put a scaffold stand up and applied to cc1 do you think they'd be accepted??? Not a chance cause theyre not southerners
hunslet hawks champions 2010

#26 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 434 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:01 PM

To me Mike the games still a Northern game and documentation won't prove otherwise , London have been trying for years and thats with the RFL bankrolling em , Crusaders started in the south , team full of Aussie's , no visa's for some of em , and then just pushed straight into SL and look where that went , The thing is with the RFL (this new regime) , is that they should learn to walk before they can run , when i watched Hunslet at Elland Rd in the 80's if only i could have foreseen the future , big stadiums , empty seats but this is how the RFL have pushed the game , trying to make it bigger than what it is , when the games struggling in strong catchment area's , and maybe a French side being brought in next season , Lord Lucan would have been a better Treasury than this lot.............

I agree completely regarding these teams jumping straight to the top with full of Aussies. But
Like program said at least these teams are starting from the bottom. And if the RFL don't give them special funding is that really a problem?

More people than before are playing RL in non traditional areas, the only benefit I can think of summer rugby. It's allowing those to play it who were once restricted to just RU.
I remember going to neath to watch South Wales v Hunslet & SW had a team full of Welshmen. With 2 of them now Wigan regulars & 1 playing for Widnes.

If it's done the right way from the bottom through the juniors to the amateur game I don't see a problem.

#27 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:19 PM

Over the years Northern players have gone down South to play for these clubs because of the player shortage , but the Hemel clubs been going longer than Hunslet Warriors and the only difference is the stand and the warriors crowds are pretty healthy size , the RFL say you've got to have a sizeable stadium and a good fan base to get into SL , don't they have that rule for CC1 , out of this SL2 league thats on the cards only , Fev , Leigh , Halifax would get into the top flight , but the RFL would only move the goalposts if a smaller club won it................

#28 james cunny

james cunny

maximus aurelius

• Coach
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:27 PM

Warriors crowds are a healthy size because it's 2 quid to watch don't have a problem with any of Southern teams Hemel are pretty good got a draw at Oldham and gave us a few problems Oxford got us at a bad time we had a point to prove this weekend will give us a proper idea of what standard they are I would rather go these places then go to Leigh sports village 6 times a season
Hunslet Hawks Champions 2010

#29 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:42 PM

Warriors crowds are a healthy size because it's 2 quid to watch don't have a problem with any of Southern teams Hemel are pretty good got a draw at Oldham and gave us a few problems Oxford got us at a bad time we had a point to prove this weekend will give us a proper idea of what standard they are I would rather go these places then go to Leigh sports village 6 times a season

James............. Leeds , Saints , Wigan crowds are healthy and its wat £20ish , so i don't think money's the problem , people have said it on here before , you could give tickets away to come and watch Hunslet and people still would'nt come , put all these southern clubs in a league and just promote 1 , like what they do in the FA Conference League..............

#30 Lapu Lapu Hun

Lapu Lapu Hun
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:05 AM

James............. Leeds , Saints , Wigan crowds are healthy and its wat £20ish , so i don't think money's the problem , people have said it on here before , you could give tickets away to come and watch Hunslet and people still would'nt come , put all these southern clubs in a league and just promote 1 , like what they do in the FA Conference League..............

I think your idea of putting the southern teams in a league and promoting one is a great idea. When northern clubs hardly break even on a week to week basis then the travel cost savings would be highly beneficial. The same goes for the supporters who travel regularly. The money spent on fares and food etc going down to Oxford and Hemel plus the time would be a real benefit to travelling supporters. The same would apply to the southern teams coming north. It was said somewhere on this forum that about 10 came from Oxford.....not exactly much profit there for the Hawks.

#31 Progman

Progman
  • Coach
  • 319 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:11 AM

There as been talk championship 1 splitting in two with a north and south league with a play off for promotion

#32 Hunslet2012

Hunslet2012
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:41 PM

Home tie, very  winnable . I would not be too disappointed with that draw win that then the big guns in next round

like I said very winnable and look who we draw I should be mystic meg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users