Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

South Wales at home - Sunday 3pm

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 shades2

shades2
  • Coach
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:56 AM

Don't think we should get too carried away just yet anyway, looked at the Scorpions team on Sunday & didn't actually recognise any names in their 17

Had a look at the other match reports yesterday & you realise the likes of Skolars, Oldham, Oxford etc have some decent players & match winners who have done the business at our level before - e.g. Skolars had Ryan Mac, Lamont Bryan, Michael Worrincy & Dennis Tuffour etc in their losing side

Edited by shades2, 25 March 2014 - 07:58 AM.

#22 shades2

shades2
  • Coach
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:18 AM

Well done to Elvis - Championship 1 player of the week - well deserved

Elvis, George, Belly & Patto in team of the week

Edited by shades2, 25 March 2014 - 11:21 AM.

#23 andyacko

andyacko
  • Coach
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:33 PM

Don't think we should get too carried away just yet anyway, looked at the Scorpions team on Sunday & didn't actually recognise any names in their 17

Had a look at the other match reports yesterday & you realise the likes of Skolars, Oldham, Oxford etc have some decent players & match winners who have done the business at our level before - e.g. Skolars had Ryan Mac, Lamont Bryan, Michael Worrincy & Dennis Tuffour etc in their losing side

Also had Telly Pelo, who played well against us for Toulouse on a couple of occasions and Mufaro Muvududu, ex Fev. Good result for Oldham. I reckon results will have to be earned against the Skolars this season.
Having said all that, we have a team made of a bit sterner stuff this time around and a lot of what exudes from Patto and Ian Morrison helps on that score.
Had to chuckle when I saw Lee Radford was unhappy with some of his players at the weekend and their input...

#24 Happy Punter

Happy Punter
  • Players
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:02 PM

I think this league does offer a bit of everything, we ourselves are a blend of experience and youth. Just now though, we shouldn't be overly worried about the opposition, surely they'll be worrying about out team. Look at the players on the bench this week , waiting to be brought into the action. I dont think too many of our opponents would think them an easy option when they come into the fray.

The past few years have seen many close games but our wins haven't been numerous. However, I've always managed to come away happy so long as there has been some enterprising play , by whichever side. I can take a beating by a better team so long as they do it playing flowing quick rugby. Being battered by a bigger set of players isn't quite such "fun". So its nice to see matches this season , at a slightly less intense level, where we are able to showcase our flair and energy. Am sure the majority of this squad are welll capable of playing at the higher level but they will enjoy the opportunity this season brings. There will be some tougher tests than we faced this week, it would be foolish to think otherwise. The coaches job is to keep the players focused and playing to their strengths.  We, as fans can get a little "giddy"  (if I'm allowed to pinch the word used by the coach on Sunday)  

My final comment for today is just to praise the attitude and style of Lee Patterson. Always impressed with his workrate, constant backing up and tackling. You just know when he takes the ball, he'll straighten his run and drive through the opposition line. We used to grumble about our forwards taking the ball from a standing start and getting nowhere, Times have changed for the better. 

#25 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:07 PM

We, as fans can get a little "giddy"  (if I'm allowed to pinch the word used by the coach on Sunday) 

Going off this point, I think we all need to calm down a little bit when Morrison gets the ball, we can't expect him to leave a trail of players behind him every time he gets the ball. Of course it's hard not to with the size and power of the guy but we'll put too much expectation on him and if he has a poor game it'll be the end of the world and we'll be calling for him to be dropped.

It's time to park the camels.

#26 Happy Punter

Happy Punter
  • Players
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:19 PM

Fair comment YCK, am glad he's not running at me but such powerful bursts should be used at the right time. In fairness the right time is the play off final if we are lucky enough to get there. 

It's great to have a player like him who can lift the crowd and team mates alike. Used to love watching Geoff Pryce in days gone by, he could carry a few with him when he took on the opposition line. Am sure there are many others too but he was one who stands out for me.

#27 Leagueman

Leagueman
  • Coach
  • 321 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:01 AM

No One better than Dave Barends for raising the crowd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users