Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Anybody heard?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 greengrass

greengrass
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:47 AM

I agree if managed right I think our crowds will go right back up, I had 4 mates ring me last night who all heard the news and said when they come home they will start watching again.

I honestly believe we will attract some of the Salford fans who are sick of travelling to barton will be tempted to attend the lions den.

I was thinking last night of some of the greatest days in my life, I ranked it like this:

1. 20/03/2014 - Swinton potentially coming home

2. my daughter being born

3. getting married

Lions on the up.

Edited by greengrass, 21 March 2014 - 07:48 AM.

#22 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:36 AM

Having listened to Dr Koukash at the Legion a while back, he was concerned about the fact Salford couldn't make any revenue from the stadium as they didn't own it. They only see a return when they sell a certain amount of tickets. Is anyone worried about the potential of a ground share with Salford somewhere down the line if this does come off?

#23 iomlion

iomlion
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:46 AM

Bryce, if the two clubs keep a distinct identity and the fixture list is workable I don't personally see a problem.
In this day and age it has to be financially viable and offer best value. Ground share for me would do that if handled correctly.
My question would be, would Salford want to play in Swinton? Look at the opposition to the reverse not too long ago.
I think it's a no brainer and the way for the future...2 clubs using the facility, plus the community engagement from both clubs can only swell both gates if done right. A team with two teams.

#24 Peewagg

Peewagg
  • Players
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:09 AM

May I apologise in advance for the fact that I shall be crying like a baby throughout a first Swinton game - in Swinton!

#25 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:37 AM

- in Swinton!

It will be the first time they've played in Swinton since 1929

#26 Paul Davidson

Paul Davidson
  • Coach
  • 578 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:51 AM

Potentially great news....obviously there's a long way to go to getting anything agreed, suitable development plans approved, planning permission granted (objections from local residents???), agreement as to how the stadium would operate, who would own it, what's the deal for the Lions i.e. how much would we be paying to play and hold functions there (now and in the future should the good doctor walk away after a few years).

Don't get me wrong....this is fantastic news for us all but there are a good number of hurdles to be jumped yet. :yahoo:

#27 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:55 AM

Lets hope the news encourages a few more to attend games starting with Sunday.

#28 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:00 AM

Having listened to Dr Koukash at the Legion a while back, he was concerned about the fact Salford couldn't make any revenue from the stadium as they didn't own it. They only see a return when they sell a certain amount of tickets. Is anyone worried about the potential of a ground share with Salford somewhere down the line if this does come off?

The planned capacity, based on what Dr Koukash and Martin Vickers said during the same meeting, is 3,000.

Personally I feel that's a bit on the small side and it would be better to aim for 5,000. However a capacity limited to 3,000 definitely implies the ground will be too small to host Salford matches in Super League.

If I remember correctly, the minimum standard for SL is 8,000. Besides which Salford's gates this season have been hitting arounrd the 7k,000 mark. Dr Koukash wouldn't want to turn 4,000 paying customers away!

What is more likely is the stadium being used for lower tier things, like Salford academy matches and some training. We then enter into the realms of how far that type of thing can go before it starts to undermine the unique identity of Swinton Lions.

However the priority has to be to get the bricks and mortar in place - hopefully to a standard that means it will be around long after Dr Koukash's involvement. Once the ground is actually there, the rest is a changeable feast.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#29 Robthegasman

Robthegasman
  • Players
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:24 AM

I think if the stadium does go ahead,yes an initial capacity of about 3000 would suffice but I think given time maybe there would be scope to increase the capacity to 8000,who knows.I think that if the stadium does get built and Swinton do start to do well once again then why not go for Super League one day?an area the size of Manchester(which many say IS the second city and we should be proud of that,go chew grass Birmingham)SHOULD be able to accommodate 2 Super League teams despite having United(my footie team) and the horrible,awful lot from the Emptyhad on our doorstep.I think if the stadium does get built,there will be a lot of hard work required as a generation of fans HAVE been lost and I think that the club will have to offer freebies to under 16s,with a parent or adult in order to attract a new generation of fans.But all in all things may well be looking good for Swinton RLFC once again.

#30 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 365 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:31 AM

I think that the area of Salford would benefit greatly from two fierce rival teams in SL.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#31 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:19 AM

Im so excited
I can't believe we are already considering losing our identity
oh yes I can. ..its the Swinton forum

#32 Robthegasman

Robthegasman
  • Players
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:04 PM

Well lets get the ground built first and up and running with Swinton Lions back home and worry about anything else at a later date.Let Salford,Sale Sharks,Peel Holdings or whoever else is involved in Barton sort themselves out.

#33 Westernmancunia

Westernmancunia
  • Players
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:05 PM

I hope Dr K isn’t just a publicity junkie . Since his Salford takeover there’s been Owdham, Bratford and the Lions (have i missed anyone?) – is he on a retainer from the RFL to keep the game in the news? He is the supreme cheerleader, tub thumper, mover and shaker after all.

And i can’t believe he does parochial - he wants to hear his name bouncing off the walls of the biggest room possible. If things progress i wouldn’t be surprised if a name change isn’t floated- from Swinton Lions to Manchester Lions.

#34 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:53 PM

It depends on the size of the stadium. It could be a setup like the South Leeds Stadium with one large stand. It will be wonderful to have the Lions back in M27. Maybe name some of the stands or roads appropriately to ensure it really is the home of the Lions!

#35 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 314 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:17 PM

For once I am going to be slightly miserable.

Lets not forget that Swinton Rugby have some element of  "power" in the proposed developments and its structure and that we do not just role over to have our bellies tickled

Without Swinton RFLC (or RLC?) I do not believe there will be a ground so they are pivotal in the proposed development.

From the previous meeting the role of the Trust, post any change in ownership of the club, needs to be properly resolved.

Dr Koukash was very impressive at the open meeting and could be the saviour of rugby league not just Swinton. At the same time, a business man (albeit with a love of Rugby League and they are like hens teeth).

I also understand that Dr Koukash principle is that the club must be able to make money from its "own" ground ....hopefully how it is all legally structured (ownership and rights) is carefully considered to safeguard the future of the club for all our young uns.

The club needs to raise income from the ground and not be paying rent to be viable going forward.

Over...

Onward and upward :onthequiet:

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

#36 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:49 PM

Lets find something to worry about when the stadium is built and not look for obstacles prior to construction.

#37 STU WILLY

STU WILLY
  • Players
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:10 PM

Great news for the club and town, bring it on. :superblue:

Stu Willy

#38 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 576 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

Obviously this is a positive development, and I don't want to sound negative, but we should still exercise a degree of caution. There's a long way to go yet, and the club needs everyone's support more than ever in the meantime. Fingers crossed though.

#39 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:57 PM

Yep some local residents are already voicing objections!

#40 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:13 PM

The planned capacity, based on what Dr Koukash and Martin Vickers said during the same meeting, is 3,000.

Personally I feel that's a bit on the small side and it would be better to aim for 5,000. However a capacity limited to 3,000 definitely implies the ground will be too small to host Salford matches in Super League.

If I remember correctly, the minimum standard for SL is 8,000. Besides which Salford's gates this season have been hitting arounrd the 7k,000 mark. Dr Koukash wouldn't want to turn 4,000 paying customers away!

What is more likely is the stadium being used for lower tier things, like Salford academy matches and some training. We then enter into the realms of how far that type of thing can go before it starts to undermine the unique identity of Swinton Lions.

However the priority has to be to get the bricks and mortar in place - hopefully to a standard that means it will be around long after Dr Koukash's involvement. Once the ground is actually there, the rest is a changeable feast.

Dewsbury's ground capacity is about 3,500 and is a nice sized stadium for clubs at our level. The main thing is, that if it should initially be limited to 3,000, there should be adequate provisions for enlargement should circumstances dictate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users