TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Anybody heard?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:15 PM

Yep some local residents are already voicing objections!

Who are they? I'll put their windows in!

#42 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:26 PM

Can't blame local residents
Im pretty certain I'd be concerned too
We definitely need these people on side not alienated.

#43 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:25 PM

Well, as a local resident to the site, at least there'll be a few behind it!

#44 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:29 PM

Dewsbury's ground capacity is about 3,500 and is a nice sized stadium for clubs at our level. The main thing is, that if it should initially be limited to 3,000, there should be adequate provisions for enlargement should circumstances dictate.

The case study of Dewsbury demonstrates some of the pitfalls, provided your memory goes back to the Bob McDermott era. Not once but twice the Rams did what was necessary on the pitch to earn a crack at top flight rugby, but on both occasions were refused promotion by the RFL on the grounds that minimum standards had not been met (principally because the stadium wasn't big enough).

Hunslet then suffered the same fate.

P&R is now firmly back on the agenda, and whilst it might seem fanciful today its entirely feasible for a Lions team playing within the town backed by Dr Koukash's finance to be a serious contender at the top of the semi pro ranks within 2 or 3 years.

What happens then? A ground of 3,000 would be a cap on ambition. And to expand the capacity of a stadium after its constructed is far from easy.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#45 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:33 PM

Obviously this is a positive development, and I don't want to sound negative, but we should still exercise a degree of caution. There's a long way to go yet, and the club needs everyone's support more than ever in the meantime. Fingers crossed though.

Wise words "Chairman Wild". I am confident that you and the trust will be looking after the lions and it's supporters. All the more reason why people should join the trust NOW as at an important time in our history we need a voice in matters as they develop.

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

#46 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:58 PM

Am I right when I say that actual stadium plans are already drawn up? If so, it would be nice to get a peek at them like when artist's impressions were made available a few years back when there was a meeting at Pendlebury Legion.

As regards opposition from residents. It would be far better if the main access was via Chorley Road rather than Stanwell Road and Shaftesbury Road thus hopefully reducing human and vehicular traffic in these residential streets. The retention of the existing high wall would probably be advisable. Perhaps there could be access through what is currently the entrance to the old sorting office alongside Swinton Post Office.

:tease:

#47 mickburkes boots

mickburkes boots
  • Coach
  • 132 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:09 AM

Good luck with the new ground lions onwards and upwards been a long time coming for you guys, happy days to come

#48 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:43 AM

The planned capacity, based on what Dr Koukash and Martin Vickers said during the same meeting, is 3,000.

Personally I feel that's a bit on the small side and it would be better to aim for 5,000. However a capacity limited to 3,000 definitely implies the ground will be too small to host Salford matches in Super League.

If I remember correctly, the minimum standard for SL is 8,000. Besides which Salford's gates this season have been hitting arounrd the 7k,000 mark. Dr Koukash wouldn't want to turn 4,000 paying customers away!

What is more likely is the stadium being used for lower tier things, like Salford academy matches and some training. We then enter into the realms of how far that type of thing can go before it starts to undermine the unique identity of Swinton Lions.

However the priority has to be to get the bricks and mortar in place - hopefully to a standard that means it will be around long after Dr Koukash's involvement. Once the ground is actually there, the rest is a changeable feast.

according to the standard I received from Blake Solly SL standard is 12 k.

#49 Paul Davidson

Paul Davidson
  • Coach
  • 586 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:16 AM

....hence why the Council have given Dr K 3 months exclusivity to finalize his plans and convince them and the residents that his plan is a good idea for the town and city as a whole.

#50 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 644 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:41 PM

My understanding is that proposed access will be from Chorley Road & all parking will be on site. The Stanwell Road end of the proposed pitch layout will be open with no intrusive structures. But people will inevitably object regardless of the detail of the plans. Hopefully any genuine fears will be met with persuasive arguments. It certainly can't stay as a school playing field forever.

#51 Robthegasman

Robthegasman
  • Players
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:12 PM

My understanding is that proposed access will be from Chorley Road & all parking will be on site. The Stanwell Road end of the proposed pitch layout will be open with no intrusive structures. But people will inevitably object regardless of the detail of the plans. Hopefully any genuine fears will be met with persuasive arguments. It certainly can't stay as a school playing field forever.

Have you seen an artists impression yet of the proposed new stadium?And is the Stanwell Road end being kept open for potential future development do you think and as I live near Victoria Park will the Council be informing people around where I live about the proposals which by the way I will fully back and support?

#52 town blue

town blue
  • Players
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:05 PM

How long have you been away from Station Road? Hope things turn out OK for you Lions fans you deserve it. All the best from an old Worky fan who remembers your great team from the 60's including Ken Gowers kicking us out of the cup at a packed Derwent Park.

#53 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:19 PM

21 years

#54 PaulT

PaulT
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:22 PM

Cough cough, 22 years ;-)

Posted Image

#55 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:24 PM

APRIL 20TH

#56 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 644 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:18 PM

Too long either way. But we're still there fighting.

#57 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:51 AM

How long have you been away from Station Road? Hope things turn out OK for you Lions fans you deserve it. All the best from an old Worky fan who remembers your great team from the 60's including Ken Gowers kicking us out of the cup at a packed Derwent Park.

Thanks pal. I'm from that era too. My foremost memory of visiting Derwent Park was our 1964 Challenge Cup 2nd round tie when the Lions came away 11-3 victors in front of a 14,000 crowd.

#58 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 386 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:28 PM

To quote Marshy "according to the standard I received from Blake Solly SL standard is 12 k. "       yet London are playing at Barnet ? with a capacity of 3500 ? So much for SL rules or is it the SL rules applied to aspiring SL clubs are somewhat different to those clubs already in SL........ 

#59 Westernmancunia

Westernmancunia
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:46 PM

The more i think about these proposals the more i think the case they make is totally and utterly undeniable . All the factors that did for the old regime at Salford should be the other way round and a plus in Swinton’s case.  Even if everything will be on a much more modest scale many of the gripes and bugbears that affected and holed Salford would still be relevant.

Plus points being

1.      Moving back towards the traditional support area

2.      Attendances that can only go up and should be reasonably predictable

3.      Well away from one of the regions if not UK’s worst traffic blackspots

4.      Buses – lots

5.      Parking plenty - many home fans will be on shank's pony anyway

6.      Convenient railway station for away fans

7.      Licensed premises / food outlets everywhere

8.      An improving economic backdrop

And other issues that would make a contrast with Barton

1.      A community facility that will actually be genuinely convenient for the community.

2.      An uncomplicated straight forward club owner / council relationship unhindered by any previous accumulated         baggage, third parties or loans and bail outs.

3.      A facility that will genuinely,appreciably and noticeably boost local businesses.

4.      Loads and loads of local goodwill

What’s not to like?

All predicated on a genuinely sound business plan and not the ‘built it and they will come’ bluster that pushed Barton through and also on getting the message out.

I would think the Trust will become absolutely vital in the latter.

And if it gets thus far Swinton should go beyond M27 and reclaim those areas of Walkden, Worsley, Monton etc that they traditionally drew support from as well. Not that it makes joining the Trust now any less important.

Edited by Westernmancunia, 25 March 2014 - 06:47 PM.

#60 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:22 PM

Yep some local residents are already voicing objections!

Can't seem to find the 'Swinton' website on which this and other local issues are discussed.

Dave, can you please post the 'link' for this website? Much obliged.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users