Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Bradford Bulls - Under New Ownership (Merged threads)

Super League Bradford Bulls

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
66 replies to this topic

#21 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,944 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:49 PM

As the RFL were the basic cause of our financial woes [by 'fining. the club its Sky money] I have no confidence in their bone fides.

I take it you cant see the wood for the trees.

#22 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:51 PM

I do feel I'm ploughing a lonely furrow sometimes...

To repeat, hopefully not ad nauseum, ever since Caisley left in around 2006 the Bulls have never had much money. They took on responsibility for the ground under the 'Odsal settlement' in 2000 and in return for absolving Bfd Met from responsinbility for maintenance, were given a sum which was spent by CC to run the team. All club officials since then have been trying to square an unsquareable cirlce.

Chairman Hood took over and, without a 'sugar daddy', was always fighting financial fires and as often happens, people in desperate times take desperate 'rememdies', and very rarely do they work, as Mr Hood found out with his cheap ticket deal. At least he did try.

After going bust, Chairman Khan came in to 'save the club', however, whilst he is, by far, richer than myself he is far from rich in the great scheme of things, in fact he was far from rich in the general scheme of RL sugar daddies. On taking over he was met with the normal, and expected, reduction in points and also, in a new and specially brought in for the Bulls penalty, he was met with an RFL fine of one years Sky money, C £1.5m, to be taken over two years. This basically crippled Khan's attempt to get the club on an even keel.This remember was the innocent bloke who came to save the club, and not the people who perhaps should have been fined. The amount currently owed is far less than the RFL's  'fine' and if it hadn't been imposed there is no reason to think the club woudn't be in a reasonably stable financial condition. The fine was totally over the top and even if it had been designed specifically to kiill us off couldn't have been improved on.

For sure, there have been mistakes made at Bradford in recent times, mostly by people resorting to desperate measures to work around the 'help' they've been given, by the RFL. Most fans I speak to would be happy to go down to the second division, it's not as though we can't remember them playing there before, but most feel outraged that we are being railroaded by the RFL's deliberate agenda.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#23 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,103 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:56 PM

Which "deliberate agenda" ?

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#24 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:56 PM

If a new consortium paid bradfords debts would the points deduction be reduced?

#25 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 697 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:19 PM

So .......Lamb Ain't a Bull.....yet
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#26 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:54 PM

Don't forget, there was talk at the time of Bulls being relegated to Championship 1

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#27 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,103 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:57 PM

Don't forget, there was talk at the time of Bulls being relegated to Championship 1

I'm sure Wakefield were given a similar threat.Hardly an agenda against the Bulls.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#28 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:03 PM

After going bust, Chairman Khan came in to 'save the club', however, whilst he is, by far, richer than myself he is far from rich in the great scheme of things, in fact he was far from rich in the general scheme of RL sugar daddies. On taking over he was met with the normal, and expected, reduction in points and also, in a new and specially brought in for the Bulls penalty, he was met with an RFL fine of one years Sky money, C £1.5m, to be taken over two years. This basically crippled Khan's attempt to get the club on an even keel.This remember was the innocent bloke who came to save the club, and not the people who perhaps should have been fined. The amount currently owed is far less than the RFL's  'fine' and if it hadn't been imposed there is no reason to think the club woudn't be in a reasonably stable financial condition. The fine was totally over the top and even if it had been designed specifically to kiill us off couldn't have been improved on.

For sure, there have been mistakes made at Bradford in recent times, mostly by people resorting to desperate measures to work around the 'help' they've been given, by the RFL. Most fans I speak to would be happy to go down to the second division, it's not as though we can't remember them playing there before, but most feel outraged that we are being railroaded by the RFL's deliberate agenda.

Bradford Bulls’ new owners will sacrifice a “sizeable” chunk of its £1.2 million funding from the RFL as part of the rescue deal that secured its future in the Super League next season, it has been revealed.

Former Sports Minister Gerry Sutcliffe, honorary chairman of restaurant boss Omar Khan’s OK Bulls, confirmed the new Bulls company will forgo a substantial portion of its central funding from the governing body in a deal which saw it offered a probationary licence to stay in the top flight for the next 12 months.

It is believed Bradford South MP Mr Sutcliffe and Mr Khan, who saved the crisis-torn club from the brink of administration on August 31, were told rival Super League sides were not happy for them to continue playing in the competition unless they gave up part of their share of the annual £1.2 million Sky television distribution cash paid to each club.

The outfit’s former owners, Bradford Bulls Holdings, entered administration on June 26 after running up debts of about £1.5 million, and RFL director of standards and licensing Blake Solly had previously said other clubs would expect the new owners to pay off the “moral debt”.

Mr Sutcliffe insisted the loss of the cash wouldn’t affect its ability to spend up to the Super League salary cap, but told the Telegraph & Argus: “It’s true to say that we have given up some of our central funding to guarantee Super League status and it’s likely to be a sizeable portion.”

The RFL advanced £241,881 to administrator Brendan Guilfoyle to ensure players’ wages were paid while Bradford Bulls Holdings was in administration.

Mr Khan, sole director of OK Bulls Limited, and owner of restaurants in Bradford and Skipton , said the loss of the money would “sting” but Super League status was vital.

“Every month we have money going out without this money coming in, and that will hurt. It will sting, but we needed to stay in the Super League – for the club and for the city.”

Mr Sutcliffe said sacrificing the cash meant it was even more important the club sells season tickets and secures sponsorship deals.

He added: “It’s disappointing that we are in the situation we are in, but it was part of keeping the club in Super League. We need to keep our momentum going.”

It seems that it was the other clubs that had a "deliberate agenda" against Bradford...

Remember, the RFL only get 1/15 of a vote in Super League

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

#29 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:04 PM

I'm sure Wakefield were given a similar threat.Hardly an agenda against the Bulls.

Sorry, that's the point I was (poorly) trying to make

#30 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:12 PM

If a new consortium paid bradfords debts would the points deduction be reduced?

I doubt it. From what I gather the punishment is usually a standard 2 points for entering admin and then a further 2-4 depending on how much the existing creditors are paid back – hence Wakefield and Crusaders had more lenient punishments in the past because they have paid off more than Bradford were willing to either in 2012 or 2014 (or so I presume).

Now you’d think maybe the punishment might be reassessed considering the club have been given a penalty designed for owners who never took over – especially if any new owners decided to pay off more than the lot who’ve just bolted were planning to (I believe it’s one creditor in particular that the incoming lot weren’t willing to pay back). However I think it’s been reported that everyone who put in a bid at this current stage has agreed that they won’t contest the points deduction.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#31 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:20 PM

Chairman Khan  was met with an RFL fine of one years Sky money, C £1.5m, to be taken over two years. This basically crippled Khan's attempt to get the club on an even keel.This remember was the innocent bloke who came to save the club, and not the people who perhaps should have been fined. The amount currently owed is far less than the RFL's  'fine' and if it hadn't been imposed there is no reason to think the club woudn't be in a reasonably stable financial condition. The fine was totally over the top and even if it had been designed specifically to kill us off couldn't have been improved on.

I'd agree on the rejection of the fine being "designed to kill the Bulls off". Remember that many SL clubs were in dire straights money wise themselves, I can imagine them saying why can they wipe their debts when we have to pay ours, and the "fine" idea coming from that attitude, which has been suggested the RFL maybe could not stop.

#32 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:26 PM

Makes a change from not being able to see some trees because they're behind Nigel Wood.

People called Romans they go the house

#33 indomitable

indomitable
  • Coach
  • 288 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:31 PM

The RFL should come to some decision very quickly, otherwise many Bulls supporters will be lost to the game, and reading the attendance figures so far this season the game cannot afford to lose any more spectators. Wakefield have been set a limit of 5thousand, and I cannot see London reaching the 5k figure. Not long ago the game looked to be reaching an average of 10 thousand per Super League game, and while there as been an increase at Salford, even their, 10k appears beyond them, and one also notices Catalans attendances are on the wane.

#34 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:33 PM

Now you’d think maybe the punishment might be reassessed considering the club have been given a penalty designed for owners who never took over – especially if any new owners decided to pay off more than the lot who’ve just bolted were planning to (I believe it’s one creditor in particular that the incoming lot weren’t willing to pay back). However I think it’s been reported that everyone who put in a bid at this current stage has agreed that they won’t contest the points deduction.

That's the key question for me.

Did the Bulls actually leave administration, and if so, assuming the new owners are unwilling to pay back any debt, would that be a second 6-point deduction? Though, presumably BB2014 didn't pay any money and Bulls never left administration, so they should now be on 4 points with a potential deduction when they get taken over

#35 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:36 PM

The RFL should come to some decision very quickly, otherwise many Bulls supporters will be lost to the game, and reading the attendance figures so far this season the game cannot afford to lose any more spectators. Wakefield have been set a limit of 5thousand, and I cannot see London reaching the 5k figure. Not long ago the game looked to be reaching an average of 10 thousand per Super League game, and while there as been an increase at Salford, even their, 10k appears beyond them, and one also notices Catalans attendances are on the wane.

Again I ask, how can the RFL make a decision if the accepted bidder won't show the colour of his money? To be honest, even if they announced Lamb as the winner now, I doubt it would satisfy many Bulls fans. The rot has taken hold IMO

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

#36 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:42 PM

Mrs Koukash (presumably genuine account) currently tweeting that the administrator nor the RFL have contacted her for over 10 days.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#37 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:44 PM

Mrs Koukash (presumably genuine account) currently tweeting that the administrator nor the RFL have contacted her for over 10 days.

Presumably because they're dealing with the people that the administrator chose as the winning bidder

#38 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,810 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:15 PM

Again I ask, how can the RFL make a decision if the accepted bidder won't show the colour of his money?

This is the thing. It seems some Bulls fans are desperate for anyone to be announced as taking over. This time it has to be right, there is no point selling the club to someone who a few months later realises he can't fund the club and puts it back into administration. That would truly be the end of the club as their credibility would be non existent. Better to take time and get the right person than rush it and risk killing the club off forever.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#39 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:23 PM

This is the thing. It seems some Bulls fans are desperate for anyone to be announced as taking over. This time it has to be right, there is no point selling the club to someone who a few months later realises he can't fund the club and puts it back into administration. That would truly be the end of the club as their credibility would be non existent. Better to take time and get the right person than rush it and risk killing the club off forever.

Indeed - I mean as a Bulls fan, I'm desperate for a resolution too. I can also see why some people see the RFL as the big bad as it's convenient. There isn't one particular person to blame - there are loads, but people like a scapegoat. The RFL is one, but crucially they are the only ones still in any way involved with anything to do with the club. No point having a go at Caisley, Hood or Khan because they are long gone - likewise anyone currently being paid a wage at Odsal has nothing but the sympathies of all Bradford fans - and indeed most decent RL fans. Much more cathartic to have a go at the RFL as they are always there and always will be, not like anyone involved with getting the club into this mess. They have largely got away scot-free.

I admit it's really hard to keep perspective if you are a Bulls fan though.
SQL Honours

#40 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:58 PM

my club were docked 9 points and prevented from applying for a super league license, and we didn't moan about it,the people responsible for the current state of affairs are the bradford club plain and simple 

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users