Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Newcastle RU confirm bid to buy Gateshead Thunder

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 markismith50

markismith50
  • Players
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:17 PM

Premiership rugby union club's owner goes on the record about Gateshead Thunder bid. http://bit.ly/1oA2oc5

#2 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:17 PM

Good news surely

#3 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:34 PM

So, potentially another foreign born business man without the RL/RU historical baggage interested in investing in a RL club.??

#4 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,633 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:43 AM

So, potentially another foreign born business man without the RL/RU historical baggage interested in investing in a RL club.??

So that's Doncaster, Featherstone, Gateshead, Leigh and Swinton.

Then there's the plans for new grounds at Keighley, Swinton and York.

There's new stands at Dewsbury, Featherstone and Hemel.

Move on  then, there's nothing to see in the Championships. There's no chance ever of improvement or new money there.

We should just concentrate on the good news coming out of Bradford, London Broncos and Wakefield and the brave new world of an 8 team rump Super League.

#5 Vikingstorm

Vikingstorm
  • Coach
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:33 AM

When you think of Potential you only have to see what Batley are producing- players going to Suoer League- Its a Conveyer belt almost, Walton, Walmsley, Johnson, England
[QUOTE]“THE enemy should be in no doubt that we are his Nemesis and that we are bringing about his rightful destruction. There are many regional commanders who have stains on their souls and they are stoking the fires of Hell for Saddam. As they die they will know their deeds have brought them to this place. Show them no pity. But those who do not wish to go on that journey, we will not send. As for the others, I expect you to rock their world.

#6 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:16 PM

So that's Doncaster, Featherstone, Gateshead, Leigh and Swinton.

Then there's the plans for new grounds at Keighley, Swinton and York.

There's new stands at Dewsbury, Featherstone and Hemel.

Move on  then, there's nothing to see in the Championships. There's no chance ever of improvement or new money there.

We should just concentrate on the good news coming out of Bradford, London Broncos and Wakefield and the brave new world of an 8 team rump Super League.

Interesting times. Let's hope a progressive momentum spreads through the game.....

#7 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:03 PM

I would rather this was seen as, and was in reality, the same man buying both rather than the RU lot buying the Thunder.

#8 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,633 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:36 AM

I would rather this was seen as, and was in reality, the same man buying both rather than the RU lot buying the Thunder.

Maybe they are envisaging a joint venture as at Leeds Rugby. The Falcons club/owner must see some merit in the Thunder though as they were not any threat to the U club playing before 300 in Gateshead. Maybe they think they can replicate the Thunder SL days but this time with Sky money thrown in to assist.

It throws up many questions and the jury is out but there is certainly a potential success story for RL on Tyneside if it works out.

#9 Vikingstorm

Vikingstorm
  • Coach
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:01 PM

Union is Our RIVAL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Simple......they cannot Buy league Clubs,....Its like Coca Cola buying PEPSI

[QUOTE]“THE enemy should be in no doubt that we are his Nemesis and that we are bringing about his rightful destruction. There are many regional commanders who have stains on their souls and they are stoking the fires of Hell for Saddam. As they die they will know their deeds have brought them to this place. Show them no pity. But those who do not wish to go on that journey, we will not send. As for the others, I expect you to rock their world.

#10 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,633 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:29 PM

Union is Our RIVAL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Simple......they cannot Buy league Clubs,....Its like Coca Cola buying PEPSI

I agree wholeheartedly BUT if the sale is executed, then the reasons for it need to be looked at to see if there are positives. The RU club could of course just shut down the RL club to eliminate competition. On the other hand maybe the owner sees an opportunity to maximise use of his stadium and enhance his revenues.

The devil is in the details and true intent and reason for the takeover.

What are your thoughts on the reasons for the purchase ?

#11 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:50 PM

I agree wholeheartedly BUT if the sale is executed, then the reasons for it need to be looked at to see if there are positives. The RU club could of course just shut down the RL club to eliminate competition. ?

I assume, I don't know, that a new owner needs the final nod from the RFL to buy the club.
He could of course lie, but I would have thought they would at least ask for his plans for the club.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#12 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 230 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:07 PM

Sport is a business, you don't buy sports clubs to make money but the idea is you don't lose much either. Nothing to see here, good idea, lets see what happens and move on

#13 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 269 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:42 PM

Union isn't League's "rival" nor visa versa either......and if you're going to compare them (as business models) then it's more like Coca Cola buying happy shopper cola...... :tongue:

#14 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:45 PM

Union isn't League's "rival" nor visa versa either......and if you're going to compare them (as business models) then it's more like Coca Cola buying happy shopper cola...... :tongue:

God, you're off again.

#15 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:49 PM

Why are they rivals? Should wigan not have both been owned by whelan? Huddersfield is a similar situation?

They dont even play the same season!

FWIW i dont think they should be the same club...Newcastle could quite easily have a second tier 2 club in the north east, that would make for a good derby!

#16 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 269 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:56 PM

God, you're off again.

How so?

#17 Vikingstorm

Vikingstorm
  • Coach
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:24 AM

Im not a Union Fan....it has bored me since Union Sides with the Nazi's in France in world war two.

#18 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 441 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:01 AM

When you think of Potential you only have to see what Batley are producing- players going to Suoer League- Its a Conveyer belt almost, Walton, Walmsley, Johnson, England

You mean former Salford player Walton, former Huddersfield and Wakefield player Johnson and former Castleford junior and Featherstone player England, who AFAIK has never even played for Batley?

#19 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 269 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:53 AM

Im not a Union Fan....it has bored me since Union Sides with the Nazi's in France in world war two.

YEAH.......it decimated French RL that.....Bastards....I mean, real bastards. Other than actually buy the RLWC TROPHY for the next few years and compete........the French game since then has flourished :buba:

#20 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:14 AM

VS - he's got a collection of Apartheid era Lions Tours on his shelf at home - you'll not change his mind.