Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Barrow Match

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Davidson

Paul Davidson
  • Coach
  • 578 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:05 AM

Let's get as many people as possible to Park Lane on Sunday 3pm for what should be a cracking game.

Let's start to celebrate, sing and dance about our potential homecoming!

Let's see some faces that haven't been to see a Swinton match in a while....

Message to any "stay-away" fans - now is the time more than ever to show your support for the Lions and to show the Council what we could bring into the community. Get along to Park Lane on Sunday and then Leigh Sports Village in a couple of weeks' time and SUPPORT YOUR CLUB from now on.

...buy a programme, join the Supporters' Trust (109 members and growing), just HELP please!

"Take Me Home, Station Road!"

"We're coming home, we're coming home, we're coming, Swinton's coming home!!!!!"

#2 lancaster Lion

lancaster Lion
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:52 PM

Wise words Paul. I agree with every word you said. Now is the time for every person who reads the forum to get behind the Lions and start coming to games. I Urge all fans to join the Supporters Trust. The last few months have been evidence of how important it is to have a strong and vibrant Trust.

#3 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:56 PM

I think we'll all echo what Paul has just said.

:yahoo:

#4 Ralph Swintonrlfc

Ralph Swintonrlfc
  • Players
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:06 PM

Very well put across Paul and I couldn't agree with you more. I am a recently returning Lions fan and I can tell you its great to be back. I used to follow the Lions both home and away throughout the 80's and 90's until the usual personal and family matters and I'm afraid a bit of apathy took over. I did however go the odd game in the last 10 yrs but I could hardly call that support. Your absolutely right we need to attract back all the old supporters along with some new ones. The great work that the club and the Trust are doing along with a good cup run and climbing the league ,starting Sunday , can only help raise the profile of the club and attract back the crowds this great club deserves. I have been to all matches this season and within reason I intend to continue to support the club as I should have indeed done for the last ten years with great enthusiasm. I do buy a programme, tickets for the draw etc and have joined the Trust but I realize this is just a small gesture. I have also made some new friends and have enjoyed myself greatly upon my return. They are a great set of lads who welcomed me along to Workington Away (great day apart from result and refereeing) and I intend to go away to Featherstone next week with the same bunch if the trip is indeed still on. I do feel something good is just around the corner for this grand old club . A bit long winded I know as I do tend to bang on a bit, but all I am simply saying is that if you're thinking of coming back or supporting a local club near you then do it now - support the Lions as its much needed , will be much appreciated and if you're anything like me you'll have a great day out. To quote Delia Smith " come on - lets be having you ".              Take me home M27   -  Come on you Lions !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

#5 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:24 PM

Very well put across Paul and I couldn't agree with you more. I am a recently returning Lions fan and I can tell you its great to be back. I used to follow the Lions both home and away throughout the 80's and 90's until the usual personal and family matters and I'm afraid a bit of apathy took over. I did however go the odd game in the last 10 yrs but I could hardly call that support. Your absolutely right we need to attract back all the old supporters along with some new ones. The great work that the club and the Trust are doing along with a good cup run and climbing the league ,starting Sunday , can only help raise the profile of the club and attract back the crowds this great club deserves. I have been to all matches this season and within reason I intend to continue to support the club as I should have indeed done for the last ten years with great enthusiasm. I do buy a programme, tickets for the draw etc and have joined the Trust but I realize this is just a small gesture. I have also made some new friends and have enjoyed myself greatly upon my return. They are a great set of lads who welcomed me along to Workington Away (great day apart from result and refereeing) and I intend to go away to Featherstone next week with the same bunch if the trip is indeed still on. I do feel something good is just around the corner for this grand old club . A bit long winded I know as I do tend to bang on a bit, but all I am simply saying is that if you're thinking of coming back or supporting a local club near you then do it now - support the Lions as its much needed , will be much appreciated and if you're anything like me you'll have a great day out. To quote Delia Smith " come on - lets be having you ". Take me home M27 - Come on you Lions !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great post Ralph and great to read some new points of view
Sadly some of our biggest critics and most regular contributors still need that final push to do what you have
If everyone does their bit the way forward will be much brighter

#6 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 573 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:33 PM

Well said Ralph. And yes Worky was a grand day out despite the result! Room for plenty more!

#7 Paul Davidson

Paul Davidson
  • Coach
  • 578 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:05 AM

.....and Ralph I've got your hoodie done within the week...I'll bring it along to Park Lane on Sunday.

#8 Ralph Swintonrlfc

Ralph Swintonrlfc
  • Players
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:48 PM

Cheers for that Mark and cheers Steve - looking forward to Featherstone trip. Thanks for sorting Hoodie Paul. see you all Sunday!!!

#9 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 885 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:46 PM

Just to clarify is the game 3pm kick off tomorrow at Sedgeley? Love rugy league site has it as a 1pm start!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#10 Paul Davidson

Paul Davidson
  • Coach
  • 578 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:21 PM

3pm at Park Lane, Whitefield M45 7DZ   (Sedgeley Park's ground)

#11 Sempur

Sempur
  • Coach
  • 556 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:39 PM

The Raiders are bringing a couple of coach loads down. Where's the best pubs near the ground?

Edited by Sempur, 22 March 2014 - 06:40 PM.

Whoso sheds his blood with me on this field shall be my brother - Henry V

#12 lancaster Lion

lancaster Lion
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:27 PM

Hello Paul, PM message sent regarding the arrival of the retro shirts. Please can you bring them to the Barrow game,

#13 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 573 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:35 PM

Parkfield Inn on Park Lane is the only pub anywhere near the ground. And a decent bar on the ground itself. Both do real ale.

#14 Sempur

Sempur
  • Coach
  • 556 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:41 PM

Cheers Stevie

Whoso sheds his blood with me on this field shall be my brother - Henry V

#15 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:50 PM

God we know how to make it hard for ourselves!
Glad we won
Penny Currie and Evans class proved the difference and as always James Brown was outstanding

My heart rate is almost back to normal now and just one final point....I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed rugby at Sedgley Park.

#16 mickburkes boots

mickburkes boots
  • Players
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:13 PM

Well done lions sounds like a great game, well done guys

#17 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:18 PM

Ben Currie was outstanding! Definitely the difference between the two sides.

#18 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:29 PM

Class act  that's five tries in two games for the Lions now !

#19 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:41 PM

A good match. We looked a lot faster in attack than Barrow, especially in the first 30 mins and last 15. Our defence was well below par IMO, some very soft tries conceded and mainly off our own errors. I think we lost possession three times from their kick off. Shaw's try from the kick-through deserves a mention for Barrow as that was a quality move. In attack we looked more dangerous than we had in our previous four matches. Having Currie in the second row seemed to be the big difference, he was punching holes through the defence all game. Kev Penny has scored in every league game this season, how is he not getting a sniff at Wire?! Ritchie Hawkyard was awesome and could be a big miss next week at Fev. All in all, a solid win, but it could and should have been much more convincing.

#20 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 885 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:59 PM

Yep. We should really have buried them in this game. Mention must also go to 'Tumble' Dwyer today as he looked a far faster and skilled player than he has to date. Best I've seen Mr Evans play for us too.
Congrats to Mark Thomas for his try, Browny worked his socks off as did Josh Barlow.

Well done boys!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users