Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Barrow Match

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:53 PM

Having been through the video of todays game, i noticed the ref made a fair few dodgy decisions,or no decision at all. Despite that, try of the match is either the previously mentioned Shaw try or the first Swinton try from a wonderful Penny offload. I can't make it to Fev next week, but let's hope for a more defensively solid performance to go with todays flair in attack.

#22 Paul Davidson

Paul Davidson
  • Coach
  • 580 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:33 AM

Having been through the video of todays game, i noticed the ref made a fair few dodgy decisions,or no decision at all. Despite that, try of the match is either the previously mentioned Shaw try or the first Swinton try from a wonderful Penny offload. I can't make it to Fev next week, but let's hope for a more defensively solid performance to go with todays flair in attack.

.....and of course Bryce I presume the DVD of today's match, as well as all the previous home matches, is available, each for £8 with proceeds going to the Supporters' Trust.

Edited by Paul Davidson, 24 March 2014 - 01:37 AM.

#23 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 583 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:49 AM

A certain amount of vitriol yesterday from sections of the away support with regard to "Dual Reg". And without wishing to open up another boring debate on the matter, all I would say is that whoever pulls on that blue jersey is putting his body on the line for Swinton, and they deserve our full support, maybe especially when they're getting stick from the opposition. Whether or not the rules are "fair" is a matter for Red Hall, but in the meantime we're abiding by them. If he's wearing a Swinton jersey he's a Swinton player as far as I'm concerned, and it won't hurt any less when he gets battered in a 3 man tackle!

#24 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 250 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:20 AM

A certain amount of vitriol yesterday from sections of the away support with regard to "Dual Reg". And without wishing to open up another boring debate on the matter, all I would say is that whoever pulls on that blue jersey is putting his body on the line for Swinton, and they deserve our full support, maybe especially when they're getting stick from the opposition. Whether or not the rules are "fair" is a matter for Red Hall, but in the meantime we're abiding by them. If he's wearing a Swinton jersey he's a Swinton player as far as I'm concerned, and it won't hurt any less when he gets battered in a 3 man tackle!

Well said Steve - naively thought this one had been done to death last season but will probably never go away - currently being dragged up on the Barrow forum (great response from Mark) and even now being mentioned on the York forum ahead of the cup game - fully understand how the opposition must feel when you are facing DR class players but we have all to get real and realise this is Championship Rugby League 2014 - trying to survive within the rules (sure I've said all this before)

#25 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:29 AM

.....and of course Bryce I presume the DVD of today's match, as well as all the previous home matches, is available, each for £8 with proceeds going to the Supporters' Trust.

Absolutely Paul! All edited last night, probably some of the best coverage I've got so far this season. Really enjoyed being back at Sedgley Park.

#26 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 920 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:28 AM

As far as I'm aware we are only playing the set number of 5 dual reg players this season (so far) and do not have the number of players we 'signed' last year. As such we are doing no different than any other team which includes Barrow. Job done!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#27 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:49 PM

As far as I'm aware we are only playing the set number of 5 dual reg players this season (so far) and do not have the number of players we 'signed' last year. As such we are doing no different than any other team which includes Barrow. Job done!

Thankfully from my point of view there are still some teams left in the Championship who are not using Dual Registration to anything like the same extent as the Lions, in the case of the division's best side they aren't using it at all.

In addition to the 5 changeable DR players, so far this year three more from Warrington have joined - Ackers, Peet and most recently Hulme. Not as bad as last season, granted, but still enough to make up half the side if they all play. On the plus side at least the team isn't being picked by a de facto Warrington academy coach.

On a personal level I find it very sad to see Lions supporters taking their team news from the Warrington Guardian prior to a match against another traditional club, in which the majority of points on both sides were scored by Warrington players. The whole thing makes a total mockery of the Championship.

If the club's natural level is in the third tier, the way to improve matters ought to be finding ways to grow income. Granted its much easier to take advantage of rules and circumstances that have given an opportunity for a short-term boost, but at what long-term cost?

Hopefully the day may come that a new ground is actually delivered by Dr Koukash and with it some high quality governance - we can but hope he comes up trumps, and not for the objective of making the Lions a feeder club for Salford.

In the meantime the gates so far indicate that around 300 or so are still prepared to run with it this season and good luck to all, but the prospect of watching 6 tries from 8 being scored by Warrington players isn't for me.

Edited by PhillH, 24 March 2014 - 08:16 PM.

Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#28 Ralph Swintonrlfc

Ralph Swintonrlfc
  • Players
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:58 PM

Well said Steve. You wear the jersey you represent the club - end of. Simply put,the SL players need game time experience outside
SL and championship clubs need this to be the case. Its there for all to use and it benefits all who use it. You would think they
got that. I thought we all stood together? Maybe not all? Only a small mindless minority though, otherwise a fair size decent
Barrow support.

#29 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:55 PM

Philip the top side in the league have money to spend on players we in our current guise don't. The money they have thrown at their squad is the reason they are the top side and also the reason they don't have to draw players from another team. As for you views on the Lions everyone is well aware of them and we really don't need them dragged up time and time again it's getting boring. At the moment we are not in a position to spend willy nilly on players, I know you would like nothing more than to have us field a team with just the contracted players in but we would be drawing from about 21 players and wouldn't be competitive but then again people like yourself would smile a big smile at the thought of us getting hammered every week and relegated just so you can say "told you so". Stick to your own teams forum you aren't a Lions fan and never were.

Edited by TIM THE LION, 24 March 2014 - 08:56 PM.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#30 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:56 PM

[quote name="PhillH" post="2905243" timestamp="1395690544"]

Thankfully from my point of view there are still some teams left in the Championship who are not using Dual Registration to anything like the same extent as the Lions, in the case of the division's best side they aren't using it at all.

In addition to the 5 changeable DR players, so far this year three more from Warrington have joined - Ackers, Peet and most recently Hulme. Not as bad as last season, granted, but still enough to make up half the side if they all play. On the plus side at least the team isn't being picked by a de facto Warrington academy coach.

On a personal level I find it very sad to see Lions supporters taking their team news from the Warrington Guardian prior to a match against another traditional club, in which the majority of points on both sides were scored by Warrington players. The whole thing makes a total mockery of the Championship.

If the club's natural level is in the third tier, the way to improve matters ought to be finding ways to grow income. Granted its much easier to take advantage of rules and circumstances that have given an opportunity for a short-term boost, but at what long-term cost?

Hopefully the day may come that a new ground is actually delivered by Dr Koukash and with it some high quality governance - we can but hope he comes up trumps, and not for the objective of making the Lions a feeder club for Salford.

In the meantime the gates so far indicate that around 300 or so are still prepared to run with it this season and good luck to all, but the prospect of watching 6 tries from 8 being scored by Warrington players isn't for me.[/quote

lucky for you that you are in the unique position of being a dual reg fan then]

#31 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:37 PM

Well let's not forget that last season when Leigh were cash strapped they were adamant they wouldn't dual reg but as the season went on low and behold they took Wigan players on dual reg.
At Featherstone the then coach Daryl Powell openly said he was no fan of Dual reg yet he now sends players from Castleford out on dual reg.
It seems until clubs experience differing situation they have to survive using means within the rules, which of course Swinton have done.
Mr Hudson you may not be aware that at the last game of the season one of Swinton's very own players was openly poached with an incentive which Swinton couldn't match but then since you do not follow the Lions home and away you omit these kind of facts from your criticism of the club.
If it upsets you so much best you turn your support to a club who fit your criteria of the perfect club.

Edited by marshy1, 24 March 2014 - 10:37 PM.

#32 GLENNGARY

GLENNGARY
  • Coach
  • 233 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:55 PM

Here we go again Philh, the great pretender. Pretending that he cares for the Lions when his sole aim is to ####stir and cause as much trouble has he can on this forum.The subject of d/r as been done to death we don't need you to keep harping on about it. Your not happy unless you are putting the boot in. Do us all a favour and stay off this forum, you are not and never have been a genuine supporter of the Lions and your views are now becoming farcical. bye, bye.

#33 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:02 PM

Could you imagine what would happen to Phil if Dr K does come in and bring the Lions home and sets up strong links to the community, gets a youth team going etc etc. What would he do? I reckon that would make a good programme quiz question.

my guesses would be as follows

-no under-seat heating in the Jim Valentine stand.
-the under-seat heating was just too hot.
-the electricity being used to power the under-seat heating should be coming from a renewable source.
-the new stadium is far too convenient to travel to for the nomadic Swinton following.

sorry Phil, i understand where you're coming from, but then again, we did last season, on numerous occasions. You don't like DR, you prefer to watch Leigh. Fair play, quality team, quality stadium, great chance of SL 1 in 2 years time. You can probably see where the real Lions fans are coming from though, it's a bit too easy following Leigh right now, isn't it?

#34 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 920 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:04 PM

As usual Phillip you post criticism without remedy.

A few months ago we had no team, nowhere to play, no chair, no cash. Nothing. What we did have however was the small number of fans who have stuck with the team for over 20 years, who pulled together, who threw whatever cash they could afford into the pot for an even smaller group of people to go about the business of solving the debt crisis and keeping the heart of this club beating. They did a magnificent job as have the players who didn't take the cash offered from other sides.
We draw strength from where we can and one day we may be able to afford to call all our players our own and perform in a stadium we can call our own. The future may look bright. Until then we have to live in the present and use all the tools at our disposal to keep flying the flag.

As an outsider it must really grate on you to see this. You would have had us die last year by your own admission but whilst being happy to blow the 'Dr Koucash Golden Bugle' you still find the need to carp and criticise under the guise of opinion. Yes you are allowed yours. We all are. But just consider going on your own forum and sharing them as they are not wanted on this one. If you want to continually harp on about how good Leigh are, tell them as it would be very much appreciated and agreed with.

Come the glorious day when we march back into our own stadium for our first game, you will no doubt change your opinion and follow the band. Just do us both a favour and don't sit near me!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#35 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:06 PM

Ps. It's those kinds of comments that make opposition fans assume that we Swinton fans rather enjoy DR, which is far from the truth. We'd much rather have 100% Lions players from 1-17. Right now, the dr works for us in our current situation.

#36 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:40 AM

Also just noticed your reference to is signing Lewis Hulme from Warrington. Didn't he come through the ranks at Widnes? Peet hasn't played a minute of rugby for the Lions yet, due to injury in pre-season. Ackers has signed on a season long loan and performed admirably in his 3-4 appearances.

#37 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:56 AM

Ps. It's those kinds of comments that make opposition fans assume that we Swinton fans rather enjoy DR, which is far from the truth. We'd much rather have 100% Lions players from 1-17. Right now, the dr works for us in our current situation.

And perhaps gives Dr Koukash the belief that Swinton supporters would be content if he replaced the present reliance on Warrington players with an equivalent future reliance on Salford players.

Aside from a hatred of the Partnering concept, my problem is that there is no apparent plan to improve the current situation other than if a takeover happens. i.e. It appears that so far as the current board is concerned, maximising use of dual registration is here to stay as 'survival mode' is as far as the thinking goes. On the other hand some people are asking why gates are poor. To me there's a clear link.

I'm less interested in short term success than I am in backing a club that is grounded in its community and behaves in a manner that is in the best interests of the game's integrity. Lots of questions for Dr Koukash to deliver on, for those aspects. Time will tell.

Leigh of course have had financial problems on lots of occasions, the latest of which led to non other than Swinton Lions taking a few players - not that Alan would care to think back that long!
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#38 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:59 AM

I don't even think Red Hall know the rules! According to League Express last week Ackers and Peet are Swinton players and train with us and not Warrington .The ruling is as far as I'm aware 5 DR/Loan players in the 17.I believe next season DR will be reduced to three players which should be better .

Edited by duffymoon, 25 March 2014 - 12:00 PM.

#39 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 380 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:09 PM

My view on this the topic of DR was and still is that a) it is difficult to retain a squad as I believe players in the squad that are not DR will eventually become disheartened if they are passed over for selection by a DR player, even if they have been playing well, as a result they may leave - reducing the squad - which then makes the team more dependant on DR, B) too many DR players coming and going each week can disrupt the team as was seen last season and c) team selection could be based on the needs of the SL club and not the Championship club, e.g. putting a DR player in to get match fit.

Having said all this - what was clearly evident was how well Curry, Williams and Penny linked up on Sunday - which must have come from training in the Warrington squad.

Personally I would prefer the old fashioned A teams - but they will never come back...........

#40 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:20 PM

And perhaps gives Dr Koukash the belief that Swinton supporters would be content if he replaced the present reliance on Warrington players with an equivalent future reliance on Salford players.

Aside from a hatred of the Partnering concept, my problem is that there is no apparent plan to improve the current situation other than if a takeover happens. i.e. It appears that so far as the current board is concerned, maximising use of dual registration is here to stay as 'survival mode' is as far as the thinking goes. On the other hand some people are asking why gates are poor. To me there's a clear link.

I'm less interested in short term success than I am in backing a club that is grounded in its community and behaves in a manner that is in the best interests of the game's integrity. Lots of questions for Dr Koukash to deliver on, for those aspects. Time will tell.

Leigh of course have had financial problems on lots of occasions, the latest of which led to non other than Swinton Lions taking a few players - not that Alan would care to think back that long!

Yes and Leigh taking them back in terms of one and also taking one of "our" players from last seasons squad, but again you overlook that fact too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users