Barrow Match

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:41 PM

And perhaps gives Dr Koukash the belief that Swinton supporters would be content if he replaced the present reliance on Warrington players with an equivalent future reliance on Salford players.
Aside from a hatred of the Partnering concept, my problem is that there is no apparent plan to improve the current situation other than if a takeover happens. i.e. It appears that so far as the current board is concerned, maximising use of dual registration is here to stay as 'survival mode' is as far as the thinking goes. On the other hand some people are asking why gates are poor. To me there's a clear link.
I'm less interested in short term success than I am in backing a club that is grounded in its community and behaves in a manner that is in the best interests of the game's integrity. Lots of questions for Dr Koukash to deliver on, for those aspects. Time will tell.
Leigh of course have had financial problems on lots of occasions, the latest of which led to non other than Swinton Lions taking a few players - not that Alan would care to think back that long!

Right now it's easy and convenient to support Leigh. In five years it night be even more convenient to support the Lions. The thing is, it's seeing through the tough times that make a 'supporter' of a club. To say you give your 'support' to Leigh is quite frankly laughable. You go to watch Leigh, yes, support is something completely different which you don't seem to comprehend.

i hope you don't mind, but i ignored everything else you said.

#42 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:10 PM

Mr Hudson...your timing in this issue seems designed purely to cause controversy
Give the new board a chance. They've only been at it fivemminutes. You are using DR to continue your Marshy baiting and it really is getting tedious
You made your position known many times last year and to state it again shows your narcissistic streak off to its finest

#43 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 904 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:10 PM

And perhaps gives Dr Koukash the belief that Swinton supporters would be content if he replaced the present reliance on Warrington players with an equivalent future reliance on Salford players.

Aside from a hatred of the Partnering concept, my problem is that there is no apparent plan to improve the current situation other than if a takeover happens. i.e. It appears that so far as the current board is concerned, maximising use of dual registration is here to stay as 'survival mode' is as far as the thinking goes. On the other hand some people are asking why gates are poor. To me there's a clear link.

I'm less interested in short term success than I am in backing a club that is grounded in its community and behaves in a manner that is in the best interests of the game's integrity. Lots of questions for Dr Koukash to deliver on, for those aspects. Time will tell.

Leigh of course have had financial problems on lots of occasions, the latest of which led to non other than Swinton Lions taking a few players - not that Alan would care to think back that long!

So basically you like to sling s##t in the hope that some sticks and you nose is well out of joint because you know nowt and nobody will tell you!

Very sad!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#44 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 582 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:43 AM

The point of my original post has been missed. At the end of the game on Sunday, players wearing Swinton colours were subjected to abuse from a section of the away support because of the Warrington connection. So I was simply making the point that as fans I believe we should support all the lads wearing our colours on the field regardless of their background, make them feel welcome, and leave the dual-reg politics to another debate. Having said that it's not a debate that the club wants to shy away from and I intend to express the board's view in our next match programme.

#45 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:17 AM

Yes and Leigh taking them back in terms of one and also taking one of "our" players from last seasons squad, but again you overlook that fact too.

Not overlooking anything Alan. You cannot restrict the right of players to earn the best living they can, its a very demanding sport, careers are short, the part time guys make big sacrifices.

Particularly in these days when contracts beyond a 12 month duration are so rare, it is the natural chain of events that the best players gravitate towards the best money

My first point being that the ebb and flow of financial fortunes has seen plenty of movement both ways between these two clubs over the years, including plenty of occasions when the Lions have attracted players away from Leigh by offering better money.

The second point being that if the goal is to retain the better players sustainably, the answer has to be to grow income. The present board as yet has not outlined any vision for the future of the club that includes feasible ways to achieve that. Heavy reliance on Dual Registration is not going to help increase income, its a tactic to reduce overheads whilst trying to retain a degree of competitiveness on the field that the club cannot naturally afford.

In many ways its remarkable that the club has survived to this point after 22 years of exile and so much blatant mis-management. The fact it has is credit to a number of very hard core supporters. Fair play to them, but the numbers are diminishing all the time and with each passing year the club is becoming less and less viable.

There is a danger of an uber supporter mindset taking over, if people get too wrapped up in the siege mentality. The club needs broader appeal than that if it is going to firstly survive and secondly get back to anywhere near its full potential ever again.

Edited by PhillH, 26 March 2014 - 09:33 AM.

Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#46 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:18 AM

Good point Steve.  As a Swinton FAN and SUPPORTER I always have, as have every other person who ATTENDS A MATCH.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#47 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:44 AM

The point of my original post has been missed. At the end of the game on Sunday, players wearing Swinton colours were subjected to abuse from a section of the away support because of the Warrington connection. So I was simply making the point that as fans I believe we should support all the lads wearing our colours on the field regardless of their background, make them feel welcome, and leave the dual-reg politics to another debate. Having said that it's not a debate that the club wants to shy away from and I intend to express the board's view in our next match programme.

. Thats fair comment,the Warrington players are only fulfilling their obligations as professional players and following the remit of their parent club.However I can understand the frustrations of the Barrow fans ,I'm sure had the roles been reversed we would have been equally exasperated.

#48 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:52 AM

. Thats fair comment,the Warrington players are only fulfilling their obligations as professional players and following the remit of their parent club.However I can understand the frustrations of the Barrow fans ,I'm sure had the roles been reversed we would have been equally exasperated.

Totally understandable frustrations, tempered though by the fact the majority of Barrow's points were also scored by a Warrington player.

Amply demonstrates the danger of the Championship becoming nothing more than a game of 'Which side can get the most and best quality dual registration players in?'. Not what the competition ought to be all about.

Edited by PhillH, 26 March 2014 - 09:59 AM.

Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#49 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:34 AM

It was a rubhish match as a result of all this wasn't it?
Oh no both sets of fans were treated to a high intensity competition.
Sick to death of listening to this garbage
Wear the shirt...you are a Lion

#50 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 242 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:53 PM

The small group of Barrow fans who indulged in the "Warrington" chants as the players left the field were annoying but we should be used to that very tedious approach by opposition fans.  The inital response of the Lions fans was uplifting when chants of "Swinton Swinton" drowned them out.  Unfortunately a couple of our fans then went over the top and started hurling abuse at the Barrow people and one got involved in pushing and shoving which could have turned nasty. Maybe a bit too much drink had been taken but it was unpleasant to witness and not something I want to see Swinton supporters getting involved with.

I look forward to the boards view on dual reg in the next programme and supporting the boys in the blue shirts will remain my aim as it always has been.

#51 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:06 PM

Dont think it helped when one senior Warrington player interviewed on Sky TVlast season referred to us as Warringtons feeder club and reserve side.Then another supposedly a Swinton player signed from Wire announced that he regarded himself as a Warrington player and still this season we have Tony Smith announcing that Paul Wood will be playing for us,surely as Swinton fans we should know first.Its a contentious issue,I don't support it but I can accept it because of the position that the club is in.

Edited by duffymoon, 26 March 2014 - 10:07 PM.

#52 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 582 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:32 PM

Fair enough Dummy Scissors, I couldn't have seen the whole incident from you've said. And Kozzy, we only ask that fans understand the club's position on DR, which will be outlined in the York programme. Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users