Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

21/03/14 - Leeds Rhinos v London Broncos KO 8pm (Sky Sports)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
232 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Leeds Rhinos (13 votes [76.47%])

Percentage of vote: 76.47%

2. Draw (2 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

3. London Broncos (2 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

Vote

#201 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,199 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:49 PM

Well if you go into SL, you're going to be competing with both Castleford and Wakefield, and to an extent Leeds, which will affect your crowds, signing of potential players and local sponsorship. If we're relegated, then we'll never go back up, certainly in the current climate with Hughes running things. Then we'll probably just gradually die off with 300 or so fans left. I disagree that there is promotion and relegation anyway. Yeah, there's relegation this year, but I'd be surprised if any teams go down in this 8x8 rubbish. I give it three years before the RFL change their minds again and come out with a new 'exciting, revolutionary' relegation system. 

Signing of potential players! Do you realise how many players currently playing Superleague are products of the Fev area? Arguably players who had we been in SL would have at least started their careers in our side.  We were a very strong side in 1995, cup semi finalists who took Leeds all the way.  With our exclusion that team fell apart, we came close in 1998, but then the wheels came off more or less completely.  To see and hear London fans moaning that they may be relegated makes me laugh.  If we ever do get in I've no doubt we'll be relegation candidates, but so what that's sport.  There are and didn't ought to be any comfort zones.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#202 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:29 PM

Signing of potential players! Do you realise how many players currently playing Superleague are products of the Fev area? Arguably players who had we been in SL would have at least started their careers in our side.  We were a very strong side in 1995, cup semi finalists who took Leeds all the way.  With our exclusion that team fell apart, we came close in 1998, but then the wheels came off more or less completely.  To see and hear London fans moaning that they may be relegated makes me laugh.  If we ever do get in I've no doubt we'll be relegation candidates, but so what that's sport.  There are and didn't ought to be any comfort zones.

Is it more than the two Londoners you think are playing in SL?

Troll.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#203 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 855 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:58 PM

There's no guarantee that they will play for Featherstone, just because they were born there. Why can't Leeds or Wakefield's academies have a player born in Featherstone? What's to stop Featherstone having players born in Leeds? etc. Not complaining, just saying what will really happen. You and a few others have said that we'd "come back stronger" if we went down, but the realism is that we will struggle and then Hughes will pull out. That's why I said we'd probably be in a stronger position if we were a fan run club starting out in the Championship 1 than having Broncos die in the Championship. I'm only pointing out what will really happens as regards to p&r. Either do it properly with one up, one down or don't bother at all, but Sky run the game these days. 

#204 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:14 AM

I doubt many London fans will moan about relegation, because there aren't many London fans. :P I certainly have no problem with us going down and vanishing up our own arris's within 5 years.....it's what the idiots in charge of the club and the game in the UK deserve.

The Problem is that in the case of London, whether we have 1 fan or 100,000 fans, it doesn't change the strategic importance of having a strong presence in the Capital and surrounding areas. Rugby League is predominantly a northern sport played by clubs in the North of England. The Amateur clubs in London are mainly made up of ex-pat Northerners and ANZACS but in recent years, there has been an increase in the numbers of "southern born" players coming through. This is, in part, down to there being a top flight team for youngsters to aspire to. There is a massive potential here that will not be used by having teams in Hemel or Oxford. People point to the Skolars and I point to the results of the skolars before we started loaning and producing players for them.......

It's also not a question of if licencing has worked or not. What we do know is that the RFL have decided that because Wakefield and Bradford have wobbled and Crusaders ( a club they created, boosted, bigged up and bailed out BTW) went pop, that RL in the UK doesn't currently have enough talent to support 13 sides....so they are going to bin 2 and pretend P&R is back. I have news for you. It isn't. 

I agree, protection from relegation isn't an ideal that sits well in a country that is obsessed with P&R in it's sports mentality.....in RL terms, it's a country that has failed to compete well for the last 20+ years against it's bitter rivals from down under, where surprisingly enough, they don't have P&R, but instead a strong game where time is given to discover and nurture talent, there is a centrally funded expansion plan and there is no changing of the format of the competition to placate the whining from the Central Coast Bears because they thinks it's not fair......

I wish all those aspirant clubs from the Championship and lower divisions well in this new structure from 2015, but I believe that a massive opportunity to take the game forward in the UK is being thrown away by short term solution seeking, when what is needed is a 20 year strategic plan and a change in management to deliver it!

#205 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:35 AM

BTW I am a supporter of Fev, a team who in 1995 were not in a relegation place but were replaced anyway by London.

Ah.  That would explain your bitter posts!

You need to let go.  We are now in 2014 and next season Featherstone will have a chance to get into Superleague. I just hope your fans learn how to behave. 

#206 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,199 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:41 AM

There's no guarantee that they will play for Featherstone, just because they were born there. Why can't Leeds or Wakefield's academies have a player born in Featherstone? What's to stop Featherstone having players born in Leeds? etc. Not complaining, just saying what will really happen. You and a few others have said that we'd "come back stronger" if we went down, but the realism is that we will struggle and then Hughes will pull out. That's why I said we'd probably be in a stronger position if we were a fan run club starting out in the Championship 1 than having Broncos die in the Championship. I'm only pointing out what will really happens as regards to p&r. Either do it properly with one up, one down or don't bother at all, but Sky run the game these days. 

The Fev/Cas area has always been a producer of talent. But ask yourself this, if you'd been a promising player born in the area in the last twenty years who would you have chosen to sign for? Non SL: Fev or Leeds, Cas, Wakey?  It's a no brainer.  To name one or two playing today, Burrow,Westwood, both Briscoes, Whiting, Hardaker, Finn, -  all top classe players brought up within a few miles of PO Road.  Fev won the RLCC in 1983 with a team that comprised 10 local born players. (BTW there were at least five players from the same area in the Hull side) Ok that was 30 years ago but the area is still producing more than its fair share of RL talent.  But like I say relegation is not the big bogey it's the chance to re group and bring on your young players.

#207 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,199 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:45 AM

Ah.  That would explain your bitter posts!

You need to let go.  We are now in 2014 and next season Featherstone will have a chance to get into Superleague. I just hope your fans learn how to behave. 

As I posted on the Wakey trouble thread the only time I've seen really serious trouble at RL was when we played Saints in 1985.  Their "fans" were walking around PO Road spraying everyone from lager cans, and using the foulest language and the Fev fans to their credit didn't rise to the bait. It was only when they began to chant ~"Scab, scab, scab" in Featherstone in the middle of the 1984/85 strike that the trouble started. So perhaps before you criticise other you should look to home.

#208 Magic XIII

Magic XIII
  • Coach
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:52 AM

But like I say relegation is not the big bogey it's the chance to re group and bring on your young players.

Unless you are surrounded by top flight rugby union clubs who undoubtedly would be interested in picking over the bones and taking the young talent, not an issue for Featherstone or most clubs on the M62 ? So over to you RFL, will one of the regionalised academies be in London ?

#209 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:07 AM

As I posted on the Wakey trouble thread the only time I've seen really serious trouble at RL was when we played Saints in 1985.  Their "fans" were walking around PO Road spraying everyone from lager cans, and using the foulest language and the Fev fans to their credit didn't rise to the bait. It was only when they began to chant ~"Scab, scab, scab" in Featherstone in the middle of the 1984/85 strike that the trouble started. So perhaps before you criticise other you should look to home.

I saw trouble between Featherstone fans when Saints were playing out of Widnes and we drew Featherstone in the Challenge Cup.  That would be 2011.  And really, no Featherstone fan can comment upon foul and abusive language given that already this season another club has complained about the same from Featherstone fans.  A problem within your fanbase has been acknowledged by your own club.  You do need to stop going on about the Broncos though. 

Edited by Saintslass, 24 March 2014 - 08:07 AM.

#210 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:12 AM

The Fev/Cas area has always been a producer of talent. But ask yourself this, if you'd been a promising player born in the area in the last twenty years who would you have chosen to sign for? Non SL: Fev or Leeds, Cas, Wakey?  It's a no brainer.  To name one or two playing today, Burrow,Westwood, both Briscoes, Whiting, Hardaker, Finn, -  all top classe players brought up within a few miles of PO Road.  Fev won the RLCC in 1983 with a team that comprised 10 local born players. (BTW there were at least five players from the same area in the Hull side) Ok that was 30 years ago but the area is still producing more than its fair share of RL talent.  But like I say relegation is not the big bogey it's the chance to re group and bring on your young players.

You've contradicted yourself.  On the one hand you say that the young players would rather play for a superleague side but then you say relegation to the championship for London would give them a chance to bring on their young players.  You have in fact backed up my own standpoint: that having a superleague team is aspirational for young players.  Given that the Broncos are the only superleague team within the south of the country - unlike up north where we have 10 - it is crucial that the Broncos stay in superleague not least so that the obvious talent which is now emerging on a fairly regular basis is provided with a local top flight club to aspire to.

#211 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:50 AM

You've contradicted yourself. On the one hand you say that the young players would rather play for a superleague side but then you say relegation to the championship for London would give them a chance to bring on their young players. You have in fact backed up my own standpoint: that having a superleague team is aspirational for young players. Given that the Broncos are the only superleague team within the south of the country - unlike up north where we have 10 - it is crucial that the Broncos stay in superleague not least so that the obvious talent which is now emerging on a fairly regular basis is provided with a local top flight club to aspire to.

How do you propose to keep London in SL? In my opinion, licensing/ringfencing has done London no favours in terms of crowds or visibility. Also many London born players came through under P&R.

For me its crucial that London stay up but only the "right way" i.e. avoiding relegation on the pitch. If they can do that this year, I think crowds will return if they win games and can stay up. Imagine having to win the last game at home to stay up

#212 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:05 AM

Handicap line for this is around the 44 mark. Can anyone recall a bigger line that that in a Super League game?

Seeing as I fancy Leeds to score at least 60, I'm tempted by this bet.

Never in doubt. Ahem.

#213 Magic XIII

Magic XIII
  • Coach
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:15 AM

How do you propose to keep London in SL? In my opinion, licensing/ringfencing has done London no favours in terms of crowds or visibility.

Couldn't agree more.

Also many London born players came through under P&R.

Are you talking about 2014 ? Unless I am badly mistaken, not one London Product has made a debut in 2014. Macani, Caton-Brown, Bishay, Woodburn-Hall, Krasniqi, Dollapi all played first grade in 2013 under franchising. A few left in the troubled off season. Now we have youngsters on loan Cunningham (Hull), Foster, Minns and Duckworth (Leeds), Greenwood (Wigan) and whole load of overseas qualified players to add to this inexperienced lot. So I would suggest circumstances have led to these London boys playing rather than P&R.

#214 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

Cricket scores don't bother me either,I was impressed by the attacking flair that London showed,the obvious talent of the fullback and the pace and the power with which some of the forwards had.Yet again,you've dodged one of my points about two of today's games.Surely to get more people hooked on the greatest game is to show it as a vibrant,fast paced game,with great fan interaction,to highlight the great skill levels and commitment from the players.For all that this game was a cricket score,London didn't give up and maybe the commentary team should have made more of that fact.

Surely any sane rl fan wants to see higher attendance figures but we need to be realistic - the game is what it is and all we can do is spread the word. giving the punters more attractive fixtures at peak time sports viewing would be more intelligent ?

Difficult for the commentators to get too enthousiastic tho' there were some good London performances for me . There must be a stage when over-egging is seen as taking the Michael or even being patronising by the viewers...

#215 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:41 PM

How do you propose to keep London in SL? In my opinion, licensing/ringfencing has done London no favours in terms of crowds or visibility. Also many London born players came through under P&R.

I don't think licensing has had any impact on London one way or another to be honest.  I think the current situation is entirely down to the inept management at the club itself.  The same can be said about Bradford and Wakefield (and previously Salford, although their situation has of course now changed).  London ticked all the boxes for licensing bar crowds towards the end of the licensing experiment and they didn't go into administration during licensing either.  It's just that David Hughes and co are unable to run a rugby league club, regardless of how nice and generous and stuff they may be.

#216 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:43 PM

For me its crucial that London stay up but only the "right way" i.e. avoiding relegation on the pitch. If they can do that this year, I think crowds will return if they win games and can stay up. Imagine having to win the last game at home to stay up

I think it will take a lot longer than a season to see a growth in crowd numbers at The Hive.  While becoming competitive and staying in superleague would be the start upon which to build, an awful lot more work than simply winning games would be required to boost crowds to a decent level.

#217 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 855 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:43 PM

But like I say relegation is not the big bogey it's the chance to re group and bring on your young players.

You don't understand though, the club will die if we are relegated, especially in the current state where we are hemorrhaging fans and the club are doing nothing about it. Hughes doesn't want anyone else telling him what to do. 

Unless you are surrounded by top flight rugby union clubs who undoubtedly would be interested in picking over the bones and taking the young talent, not an issue for Featherstone or most clubs on the M62 ? So over to you RFL, will one of the regionalised academies be in London ?

Yes, definitely the RFL need to run a London academy if we go down. So much talent will be lost to the game if they don't. It's not just London too, it's a big region including Hampshire, Sussex, Kent, Northampton etc. Anyone who thinks we're not competing with Union is sadly wrong. We lost Oscar Thomas and Harry Little to union in the off season crisis, we almost lost MCB and Saeed Agboke too but they came back. 

#218 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 855 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:45 PM

Surely any sane rl fan wants to see higher attendance figures but we need to be realistic - the game is what it is and all we can do is spread the word. giving the punters more attractive fixtures at peak time sports viewing would be more intelligent ?

Difficult for the commentators to get too enthousiastic tho' there were some good London performances for me . There must be a stage when over-egging is seen as taking the Michael or even being patronising by the viewers...

Well what game from this weekend would you have liked to watch instead? The 7-0 between Hull and Widnes which many are saying is the worst game they've ever watched? 

#219 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 855 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:48 PM

Are you talking about 2014 ? Unless I am badly mistaken, not one London Product has made a debut in 2014. Macani, Caton-Brown, Bishay, Woodburn-Hall, Krasniqi, Dollapi all played first grade in 2013 under franchising. A few left in the troubled off season. Now we have youngsters on loan Cunningham (Hull), Foster, Minns and Duckworth (Leeds), Greenwood (Wigan) and whole load of overseas qualified players to add to this inexperienced lot. So I would suggest circumstances have led to these London boys playing rather than P&R.

I think Toby Everett, Jonathan Wallace and Joe Keyes will probably make their debuts this season. All are part of the first team squad. 

#220 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,243 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:02 PM

I think crowds will return if they win games

That pretty much nails it.

P&R, licencing, league placings decided by a raffle ...  it's the winning that counts.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012