Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

21/03/14 - Leeds Rhinos v London Broncos KO 8pm (Sky Sports)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
232 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Leeds Rhinos (13 votes [76.47%])

Percentage of vote: 76.47%

2. Draw (2 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

3. London Broncos (2 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

Vote

#221 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:04 PM

Well what game from this weekend would you have liked to watch instead? The 7-0 between Hull and Widnes which many are saying is the worst game they've ever watched? 

The stand out game for me would have been high flying in early season Wakey v  a good looking Saints side with some injuries. This was set up to be a good game. I have no idea if it actually was as I wasn't there any more than I could tell you about the FC v Vikings game. I'll watch a game and give my opinion and NOT trust to others to tell me how good or bad a game was.

#222 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,131 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

The stand out game for me would have been high flying in early season Wakey v  a good looking Saints side with some injuries. This was set up to be a good game. I have no idea if it actually was as I wasn't there any more than I could tell you about the FC v Vikings game. I'll watch a game and give my opinion and NOT trust to others to tell me how good or bad a game was.

Easy to say after the event,when asked before yesterday's games,you didn't answer that particular question.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#223 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:17 PM

Easy to say after the event,when asked before yesterday's games,you didn't answer that particular question.

so basically whatever I  say will be wrong...

#224 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,131 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:46 PM

so basically whatever I  say will be wrong...

No,just pointing out that you gave the obvious answer after the event,when you'd been asked for an answer before the event.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#225 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:20 PM

No,just pointing out that you gave the obvious answer after the event,when you'd been asked for an answer before the event.

erhh, there's a reason why it was the 'obvious' answer ! As I said before 'it's not rocket science' is it ?

not to worry enjoy your season, looks like you have the experience & class to win it again

#226 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 225 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:26 PM

I think it will take a lot longer than a season to see a growth in crowd numbers at The Hive. 

London moved from the Valley to the stoop to the valley to Griffin Park to the stoop and to the Hive....every other first season in their "new homes" saw an increase in crowds......this year they are 46% down. Kleanthous struggles to get Barnet fans to cross an imaginary boundary between Underhill and the Hive, so thinking he has the slightest clue on how to get RL fans to his training  facility is flawed.

The damage at the club has spread through to the fans...there are a great deal who will never got to a London Broncos game again so long as Hughes is making decisions! As I have said elsewhere, since Lenengan was made to walk away, Hughes has overseen the loss of 70% of our games, 70% of our fans and close to 28,000,000 sterling....he freely admits to not having a clue about running a business but his arrogance and reluctance to accept advice has assuredly killed this club as surely as if he'd simply just walked away back in October.

#227 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:17 PM

London moved from the Valley to the stoop to the valley to Griffin Park to the stoop and to the Hive....every other first season in their "new homes" saw an increase in crowds......this year they are 46% down. Kleanthous struggles to get Barnet fans to cross an imaginary boundary between Underhill and the Hive, so thinking he has the slightest clue on how to get RL fans to his training facility is flawed.

The damage at the club has spread through to the fans...there are a great deal who will never got to a London Broncos game again so long as Hughes is making decisions! As I have said elsewhere, since Lenengan was made to walk away, Hughes has overseen the loss of 70% of our games, 70% of our fans and close to 28,000,000 sterling....he freely admits to not having a clue about running a business but his arrogance and reluctance to accept advice has assuredly killed this club as surely as if he'd simply just walked away back in October.

When London moved from the Valley to the Stoop in 1996, the crowds did not increase in their first year - in fact they went down by a lot despite finishing higher.

The mistake Hughes made was not rebranding back to the Broncos and moving to Orient or Brentford several years earlier (the Hive did not meet SL standards). The club has been on a downward trend for years

#228 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:56 AM

The name change has hardly stopped the trend. I said at the time it was a a complete waste of time, as there were more important things for the club to sort out. Three years later and we have even less fans and even less wins than before. 

#229 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,018 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:33 AM

I saw trouble between Featherstone fans when Saints were playing out of Widnes and we drew Featherstone in the Challenge Cup.  That would be 2011.  And really, no Featherstone fan can comment upon foul and abusive language given that already this season another club has complained about the same from Featherstone fans.  A problem within your fanbase has been acknowledged by your own club.  You do need to stop going on about the Broncos though. 

I'm not talking about handbags, I'm talking about serious trouble.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#230 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 225 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:55 PM

When London moved from the Valley to the Stoop in 1996, the crowds did not increase in their first year - in fact they went down by a lot despite finishing higher.

My bad!....they dropped 10% from 5,691 to 5,125.

To put that into perspective as having "dropped a lot", since we left Griffin Park, we've dropped 70%.....

#231 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:44 PM

The name change has hardly stopped the trend. I said at the time it was a a complete waste of time, as there were more important things for the club to sort out. Three years later and we have even less fans and even less wins than before.

Fans are more likely to come out if the woodwork as London Broncos than Quins. Dropping the Broncos tag was a huge mistake in the first place. I know a fair few fans who stopped going when the club left Griffin Park. Its all in place for London to build again. We just need to start winning one or two games to keep us in the hunt...,

#232 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 225 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:06 AM

Fans are more likely to come out if the woodwork as London Broncos than Quins. Dropping the Broncos tag was a huge mistake in the first place. I know a fair few fans who stopped going when the club left Griffin Park. Its all in place for London to build again. We just need to start winning one or two games to keep us in the hunt...,

I too am aware of a handful of fans who refused to go to the Stoop or follow the team during that period, but let's not kid ourselves.

Harlequins Rugby League over the 6 year period 2006-2011 attracted 293,255 fans to 79 home games at an average of 3,712 a pop. Taking away that ridiculous double header crowd of 12,301 and replacing it with the Huddersfield average at the time of 2,595, drops this down to 3,589 per game. 

The 6 years prior to this at The Valley and Griffin Park delivered 296,257 fans to 83 games, averaging 3,569 a pop.

Now, here we are 2 years and 3 home games into being London Broncos v.2 and 68,878 people have attended 29 games delivering 2,375.

Harlequins Rugby League and/or playing at the Stoop didn't cause this melt-down.........

#233 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:25 AM

I can never understand why fans were so against being called Quins, but not Broncos. Broncos was never our original name and was forced upon us by Brisbane, turning the club into a corporate Aussie centric club. The club should have always remained Fulham imo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users