Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

23/03/14 - Salford Red Devils v Castleford Tigers KO 3pm

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Salford Red Devils (6 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

2. Draw (1 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

3. Castleford Tigers (7 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Red Devils PAW

Red Devils PAW
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:29 PM

Much improved attacking from Salford.

This was the best performance from Salford in a long time. Still a lot of improvement required from Salford

Agree totally.The best 80 minutes since Noble took over - we even won a second half - but huge improvement required for the remainder of this campaign.

Taking advantage at 'crisis' club Hull FC (twice ) is imperative,and winning at Bradford,before the more difficult Easter games. 

Big difference despite Sean Long only attending a reported 2 days a week.Would be beneficial to have him involved more often.

Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it

#42 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:49 PM

Discuss the game here:

23/03/14 - Salford Red Devils v Castleford Tigers KO 3pm

Are you sure?

I wouldn't want to say anything that'll get the thread locked

#43 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:20 PM

I think the attendance is a little disappointing but still way ahead of last years similar fixture. Small steps at Salford. Cas started the season well and now need to regroup and not let momentum slip away.

#44 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:33 PM

I think the attendance is a little disappointing but still way ahead of last years similar fixture. Small steps at Salford. Cas started the season well and now need to regroup and not let momentum slip away.

The attendance has gone down with each home game so it's possible Salford needed this win.  With a win in the bag the home attendance may go back up again next time.  I would imagine Salford's fans will be easily discouraged given their recent history.

#45 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,859 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:35 PM

The attendance has gone down with each home game so it's possible Salford needed this win.  With a win in the bag the home attendance may go back up again next time.  I would imagine Salford's fans will be easily discouraged given their recent history.

FYI Cas had over 2,000 there so it was about 3,500 Salford fans
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#46 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,920 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:37 PM

Way ahead of last years but disappointing what the bloody hell do you want.

Two perennial cellar dwellers get a way ahead of the norm attendance and you think its disappointing, get real.

What did you expect 25,000,

KT where did you get that figure from, I know it was a good turnout, but, RM estimated 1,500.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#47 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,859 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:47 PM

Way ahead of last years but disappointing what the bloody hell do you want.

Two perennial cellar dwellers get a way ahead of the norm attendance and you think its disappointing, get real.

What did you expect 25,000,

KT where did you get that figure from, I know it was a good turnout, but, RM estimated 1,500.

I'm going off the comments on twitter so 1,500 could be closer to the mark I guess - however there is a pic floating around twitter showing the Cas end absolutely jam packed.
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#48 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 283 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:56 PM

I'm going off the comments on twitter so 1,500 could be closer to the mark I guess - however there is a pic floating around twitter showing the Cas end absolutely jam packed.

I'd guesstimate 1,500 as well. Looked a little more than Wakefield, Saints & Warrington who all brought around 1,000-1,200 but not that much more, certainly not anywhere near double what those teams brought.

#49 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,859 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:00 PM

I'd guesstimate 1,500 as well. Looked a little more than Wakefield, Saints & Warrington who all brought around 1,000-1,200 but not that much more, certainly not anywhere near double what those teams brought.

I'll tale your word for it as someone who is obviously more qualified.

Good luck for the rest of the season

Posted Image

#50 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:11 PM

The South  terrace holds about 2,000 and there was a little room so 1500 would be about right. It's one of the best turn outs from away fans.

It's still about 2000 than most crowds last season

#51 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,920 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:14 PM

It seems the Gm estimate is about right, still a bloody good turnout. Well done Cas fans.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#52 Gates1

Gates1
  • Coach
  • 146 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:44 PM

Much improved attacking from Salford, Smith didn't have a good game for me giving away two critical pens. Both teams failed to realise Mr Child had his rule book out last night and had been studying it. Cas in particular failed to learn from their mistakes and were lucky not to be on a team warning in the first half.

This was the best performance from Salford in a long time, not sure if all the improvement is down to Chase or partly due to the tactics from Long. Think Nobby has bought himself a few extra games. Still a lot of improvement required from Salford

D Powell seems to think Childs doesnt have a rule book and has offered to send him one in post match interview, seems especially interested in the rule about the ball bouncing dead from a kick off resulting in a 20m tap!  Wasnt their to see it to be honest but radio commentaters sounded baffled.

From past experience of watching his officiating, you can usually garantee 2 thinks when childs refs:

-  inconsistency, and

- a scrappy game

That said sounds like Cas were terrible, good win for Salford, the only worry I would have as a Salford fan, had Webster and Owen not bombed a try a piece and DP started with Webster (instead of inexplicable piting Channing against Sau then changing his mind and subbing him, very odd!) - we may have won despite the performance.

Maybe a shot in the arm for Cas cant keep starting so slowly and expect to get away with it every week and should despel any complacancy for the London game (always a banana skin for Cas), considering the short turn around may not be an easy game. 

As I predicated Chase was ultimately the deciding factor, sounded dangerous every time he had the ball and even kicked a drop goal (hes useless at them!)

Look forward to welcoming Salford to the jungle later in the year and hopefully leveling the score...

Edited by Gates1, 23 March 2014 - 10:44 PM.

#53 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:58 PM

made up for salford, and the doc. :biggrin:

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#54 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 283 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:22 AM

D Powell seems to think Childs doesnt have a rule book and has offered to send him one in post match interview, seems especially interested in the rule about the ball bouncing dead from a kick off resulting in a 20m tap!  Wasnt their to see it to be honest but radio commentaters sounded baffled.

I forgot about that. It was at the opposite end of the ground from where I was so I didn't have the best view. People sat around me seemed to think Meli caught it with one foot over the deadball line. That would be a penalty on halfway though surely.

To me, it looked like Meli let it bounce in the field of play then watched it bobble out. Got to admit I wasn't paying full attention at that point but it didn't appear to be anywhere near out on the full, just a Meli brain explosion. Hopefully they'll show it on the SL Show tomorrow to clear it up but probably not.

#55 AndyH0064

AndyH0064
  • Facebook
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:28 AM

Are you talking about from the first kick off? Meli let is slowly bounce out of play, a Cas player slid in, arm between Meli's legs and touched the ball. I thought it was already out, but the Cas player must have touched it before it touched down outside.

#56 Eldujo

Eldujo
  • Coach
  • 283 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:40 AM

Are you talking about from the first kick off? Meli let is slowly bounce out of play, a Cas player slid in, arm between Meli's legs and touched the ball. I thought it was already out, but the Cas player must have touched it before it touched down outside.

That's the one. Sounds like you had a much better view than me so it looks like the ref probably got it right. 

#57 AndyH0064

AndyH0064
  • Facebook
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:34 AM

What are the linesmen type guys that stay behind the sticks called? He was stood right there anyway and the ref had a quick word with him about it. But yeah, I was in the South stand on the left side so had a pretty good view.

#58 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:38 AM

Some things never change!

#59 Gates1

Gates1
  • Coach
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:48 AM

Yeah thats the one.  Might be the explanation them.  Sounds like Meli made a right hash of it!

#60 Gates1

Gates1
  • Coach
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:14 AM

Powells thoughts on the incident and officiating (only part of an interview, bemons the continual Cas errors which ultimitely cost us the game in the rest of the interview)

"The game was temporarily halted midway through the second half when a supporter ran on to the pitch to confront referee James Child, after a number of decisions went against the Tigers throughout the 80 minutes.

Powell joked after the game that he felt like doing exactly the same thing himself.

"I wanted to jump on with the lady to be honest, and have a chat to see what was going on!" Said Powell.

"I thought the decision right at the start of the game was unbelievable. They could not make their minds up, even though the ball had gone dead, and it was a drop-out. It was unbelievable.

"It was inconsistent from our boys, but I thought it was inconsistent by the people officiating the game as well. You know you are going to get that here and there, but I thought we got peppered a little bit today."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users