Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

23/03/14 - Salford Red Devils v Castleford Tigers KO 3pm

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Salford Red Devils (6 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

2. Draw (1 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

3. Castleford Tigers (7 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:25 AM

I guess the decision that's most got Powell baffled is the one to sin bin Milner but not award the penalty try, since he tackled the man without the ball just a few feet from the cas line. I mean, I assume that's what he's referring to. However, the thing with referees is that when you watch the game again later, they usually turn out to be right.

#62 Gates1

Gates1
  • Coach
  • 270 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:02 AM

In my experience Childs is a poor ref, however, like I said wasnt at the game so not going to argue specific points. 

However, never heard DP critise the ref post game so he clearly wasnt happy, however he rightly points out it was silly mistakes that cost the game.  A specific point was been discussed on the game which DP referred to hence posting the DP quote.

In terms of penalty tries thats a whole differant can of worms, but they are only awarded when a try was an absolute certainty in my experience and I suspect the scernario your describing had too variables to have been awarded one (that said havent seen it).

#63 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:59 AM

I don't like to hear coaches criticise the referee, even when they wrap it up in a nice "well we weren't very good today, but...ooh that ref" kind of thing. According to the SL web site, the penalty count was 11 - 11. Is DP complaining about the 11 penalties that went Cas's way?

The decision to go for a tap rather than a drop out after the kick off looked wrong to me, but the officials seemed clear on it. The cas player got his hand to it and touched down over the back line, so the decision may have been that he knocked the ball out of play. I'd like to see it again.

And, overall, I don't think Mr Childs is any better or any worse than any other referee.

#64 Gates1

Gates1
  • Coach
  • 270 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:27 PM

To be fair DP doesnt comment that Salford had more penalties, he refers to the inconsistency of the ref which is slightly differant.  With the first incident can only assume the Cas player in question has said to Powell he didnt touch it but in the scheme of things a Salford tap 20 rather than a drop out cant be considered a game decider.

My personal opinion is that Childs is more inconsistant then other refs this in turn leads to uncertainty for players and I think manifests itself a little in the games he refs not been of a great quality, just my personal opinion and others will differ. I always sigh when I see hes been allocated a Cas game, ultimately because I know its likely to be deterimental to how enjoyable the game is (also think Tony Smith also raised similar critisism to those of DP previously)

At the end of the day, even Mr Childs cant be blamed for Cas players making basic errors and dropping the ball...

Cas were always going to lose one eventually and how we respond to defeat will define our season, rather than the loss.  Any Cas fan would have taken the start we have had, only concern is that we have really slowed regards scoring points (less than 20 for last two games) which suggests some of our plays have been found out.  Just hope this doesnt halt our momentem, very tough fixture list in April and early May for us.

Salford have been underperforming a little, albeit with a a few players out.  Nobby has been watching Cas at Wheldon Road for last couple of games so had obviously targeted this game for a win and with a few players returning and came up with it.  With a few winnable games coming up should be able to build on this win by stringing a few more together in quick succession.

We'l see you at Cas in June, for, hopefully a cracking game in the sun.

Edited by Gates1, 24 March 2014 - 12:32 PM.

#65 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:14 PM

The decision to go for a tap rather than a drop out after the kick off looked wrong to me, but the officials seemed clear on it. The cas player got his hand to it and touched down over the back line, so the decision may have been that he knocked the ball out of play. I'd like to see it again.

I'm pretty sure the Cas player got his fingertips to the ball and I'm pretty sure he didn't touch it down. As I saw it it, the ball went dead from his fingertips. The issue for the refs is "Did he touch it?" The in-goal ref seemed to be sure that he did and he was well positioned to see it. Childs took his word for it. As for Meli (it was him, wasn't it?) shepherding the ball out, I don't know what to make of it. Either he was a genius to judge it so well or he was dead lucky. Dead lucky, I think! If the in-goal had been a foot longer, Cas would have got the try.

Anyway, well done to the travelling fans. Whether there were 1500 or 2000, it was a good (and noisy) turnout. Rotten journey home on the M60, though. That traffic jam cost me an hour.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#66 WSCR

WSCR
  • Coach
  • 251 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:50 PM

I guess the decision that's most got Powell baffled is the one to sin bin Milner but not award the penalty try, since he tackled the man without the ball just a few feet from the cas line. I mean, I assume that's what he's referring to. However, the thing with referees is that when you watch the game again later, they usually turn out to be right.

From where I was sat Fages would have scored if the cas player hadn't tackled him off the ball as Johnson's pass was going straight to him.
The ref looked completely off his game to myself.

#67 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:26 PM

From where I was sat Fages would have scored if the cas player hadn't tackled him off the ball as Johnson's pass was going straight to him.
The ref looked completely off his game to myself.

I agree it looked a certain try, but Theo still had to catch the pass. I was screaming for a penalty try, but I would, wouldn't I? On reflection, I think the ref got that one spot on.

#68 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:33 PM

I'm pretty sure the Cas player got his fingertips to the ball and I'm pretty sure he didn't touch it down. As I saw it it, the ball went dead from his fingertips. The issue for the refs is "Did he touch it?" The in-goal ref seemed to be sure that he did and he was well positioned to see it. Childs took his word for it. As for Meli (it was him, wasn't it?) shepherding the ball out, I don't know what to make of it. Either he was a genius to judge it so well or he was dead lucky. Dead lucky, I think! If the in-goal had been a foot longer, Cas would have got the try.

Anyway, well done to the travelling fans. Whether there were 1500 or 2000, it was a good (and noisy) turnout. Rotten journey home on the M60, though. That traffic jam cost me an hour.

The Cas player definitely touched the ball. The question is whether it was already out of play when he touched it. I think it was, but it was marginal to say the least. It's not as if the officials made an obvious blunder with the decision, and it would be interesting to see a video of it. I suspect the officials will turn out to have got it right, because I think they usually do.

As for Meli leaving it....Jeez. The Saints fans said he's prone to brainfarts, but his brain must have spent the days before the match eating nothing but Quorn because he had a lot of them, that being the first. If the ball had gone dead without a Salford player touching it, it would have been a drop out wouldn't it? So why did he leave it?

Anyway, best game of the season so far. Two teams that threw the ball about and entertained with some great tries scored by both. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

#69 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:38 PM

I agree it looked a certain try, but Theo still had to catch the pass. I was screaming for a penalty try, but I would, wouldn't I? On reflection, I think the ref got that one spot on.

Yeah. I just threw that in because it seemed to be a decision DP didn't complain about. Had Milner not obstructed it was 90% a try because all Theo had to do was catch the ball, run a couple of steps and fall over the line. Unfortunately, there's that 10% doubt, so the ref can't give it. Maybe the rule needs changing so if, in the ref's opinion, there's a "reasonable likelihood" of a try resulting, the penalty try should be awarded.

#70 Gates1

Gates1
  • Coach
  • 270 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:48 PM

Yeah. I just threw that in because it seemed to be a decision DP didn't complain about. Had Milner not obstructed it was 90% a try because all Theo had to do was catch the ball, run a couple of steps and fall over the line. Unfortunately, there's that 10% doubt, so the ref can't give it. Maybe the rule needs changing so if, in the ref's opinion, there's a "reasonable likelihood" of a try resulting, the penalty try should be awarded.

Think the fact that it was a likely try was probably accounted for in the yellow card.

Not to be pedantic but you have kind of deafeated you arguement (claiming that DP isnt complaining that the ref got that decision wrong, shortly before stating that the ref got it right as per the rules of the game).

#71 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:15 PM

Think the fact that it was a likely try was probably accounted for in the yellow card.

Not to be pedantic but you have kind of deafeated you arguement (claiming that DP isnt complaining that the ref got that decision wrong, shortly before stating that the ref got it right as per the rules of the game).

Nah. My argument is that the officials get most decisions right, but the decisions that people think they get wrong tend only to be those that go against their team.

#72 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:23 PM

Nah. My argument is that the officials get most decisions right, but the decisions that people think they get wrong tend only to be those that go against their team.

Sporting grammar.

WE are a robust and forceful team.

THEY are a bunch of dirty thugs.

HE is blind as a bat and doesn't know the rules.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#73 Gates1

Gates1
  • Coach
  • 270 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:25 PM

Channing cas player concerned in kick off incident has said on twitter he touched it after it went dead and has watched it in slow mo to confirm. Assume thats the basis for DPs comments.

That said if he had to watch it in slow mo can understand it been missed - seems like refs might not have been right on this one!

Edited by Gates1, 24 March 2014 - 05:25 PM.

#74 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:04 PM

Channing cas player concerned in kick off incident has said on twitter he touched it after it went dead and has watched it in slow mo to confirm. Assume thats the basis for DPs comments.

That said if he had to watch it in slow mo can understand it been missed - seems like refs might not have been right on this one!

I would accept that. It wasn't a game changer, anyway.

#75 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:26 PM

The problem with slow motion is it is unfair to the ref on the day he makes a split second call and I for one won't complain if those 50/50 calls are wrong. 

Powell should accept his team failed to learn from the pens, same as Salford  did (especially Tim Smith). Cas didn't lose the game on the calls mentioned there were too many other things at play. The conditions probably had a bigger say, the cold and changing wind direction.

The one thing about Child is he can never be influenced by the big team, he refs equally (even if that's equally bad)

as for the pitch invasion, she just ambled on from the corner without anyone trying to stop her. Hope Cas ban her.

#76 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:45 PM

What a nice story on Superleague Fulltime about Koukash taking the time to go and sit with some Castleford fans and chat to them about the game whilst they were waiting for the crowds to clear. I've never been sure what to make of him but he's gone up in my estimation after hearing that.