TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Modern politicians - do they achieve power when they are too young?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,152 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:39 PM

It's this sort of thing, on all sides, that  gets to me: Chuka Umunna as shadow business secretary? Uniquely qualified with his lifetime experience in running a successful business. see here: http://en.wikipedia....ki/Chuka_Umunna

At least he has had some (although a brief 8 years) life experience beyond education. There are far worse examples than Chuka Umunna. David Cameron for example who went straight into politics as a researcher from doing his PPE degree. Or George Osborne who did the same (unless you want to count a few months towel folding in Selfridges as life experience). These are arguably the two most powerful men in modern politics but haven't had a proper job between them. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#22 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,747 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:10 PM

Point still holds - I did write "on all sides". Umanna got his business credentials working briefly at a solicitors, Cameron got his as 8 years as Corp Comms Director at Carlton Communications.

I merely uses Umanna as an example of the sort of professional politician so criticised in posts on this topic. Fortunately for us all, he is not likely to have to use his "skills" in earnest.

Anyway,  my vote goes to Bez!

#23 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,959 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:10 PM

I'd love it if Parliament had more young firebrands in there who believed in something and who wanted to change the world.

Presumably you're a fan of Vladimir Putin, who seems to be the politician most inclined to change the world at the moment.

And I seem to recall there was a young firebrand who wanted to change the world in Germany in the 1930s.

You should be careful what you wish for.

Firebrands often bring misery in their wake.

#24 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,959 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:14 PM

Cameron hadn't even run a sweetshop when he became PM.  He was only elected in 2001 to Parliament and by 2005 he was leader of the Tories. Judging by his performance so far a few years finding out what life is really like wold have done him the world of good. Any worthwhile politician would have won hands down in 2010, given an unpopular PM and a government that had run out of steam. BTW why is it John you only seem to be able to find dirt on Labour people? could it be you're not looking for it on the Tories.

In 2005 the Tories had the chance to vote for David Davis as their leader and they blew it.

Davis did have experience of the real world, and in my opinion would have been a far more formidable leader than Cameron.

I suspect he would have romped home in 2010.

It's interesting that Cameron has kept Davis miles away from the Cabinet since he's been in power.

#25 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:42 PM

Point still holds - I did write "on all sides". Umanna got his business credentials working briefly at a solicitors, Cameron got his as 8 years as Corp Comms Director at Carlton Communications.

I know someone who was at Carlton in 2000 (and is a Tory, so no rolling your eyes about bias here) 

According to her it was difficult to say what Cameron actually did as he was rarely seen in the office.

Maybe he was working from home?

As for Chukka Umuna, he seems almost completely charm and charisma free.    He has to be one of the dullest people in politics.   He has had a proper job though, as a solicitor.

That's me.  I'm done.

#26 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:44 PM

In 2005 the Tories had the chance to vote for David Davis as their leader and they blew it.

Davis did have experience of the real world, and in my opinion would have been a far more formidable leader than Cameron.

I suspect he would have romped home in 2010.

It's interesting that Cameron has kept Davis miles away from the Cabinet since he's been in power.

I agree with this.  I was surprised when they picked Cameron.  I too think that Davis would have won in 2010 at a canter.  He had an impressive career at Tate & Lyle I think.

That's me.  I'm done.

#27 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:36 PM

The thing is that in the modern world, no-one can possibly be an expert on more than 2-3 topics, so whoever is minister is going to be largely reliant on advice given to them by civil servants. It's nice if politicians know a fair amount about how the world works before politics but I don't think that it is vital. I'm not sure how doing well at a sugar company would prepare you for running the economy anyway. Their main skill is knowing whose advice to take. 

#28 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,747 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:00 AM

I know someone who was at Carlton in 2000 (and is a Tory, so no rolling your eyes about bias here) 

According to her it was difficult to say what Cameron actually did as he was rarely seen in the office.

Maybe he was working from home?

As for Chukka Umuna, he seems almost completely charm and charisma free.    He has to be one of the dullest people in politics.   He has had a proper job though, as a solicitor.

Did he do your house conveyancing by any chance?   

Presumably Cameron was busy communicating with corporates, whatever that entailed.  Umunna and Cameron are different sides of the same con..though Cameron might do better if he kicked a few backsides in his own party.

#29 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,747 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:01 AM

The thing is that in the modern world, no-one can possibly be an expert on more than 2-3 topics, so whoever is minister is going to be largely reliant on advice given to them by civil servants. It's nice if politicians know a fair amount about how the world works before politics but I don't think that it is vital. I'm not sure how doing well at a sugar company would prepare you for running the economy anyway. Their main skill is knowing whose advice to take. 

plus getting the Sir Humphreys of the world to actually do as they are told.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users