Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Red Hall

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,748 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:19 PM

Just noticed that James Mercer is due to leave the RFL after a couple of years:

http://www.superleag...rning-body.html

However, it got me thinking about Red Hall and its location. What's the crack with the lease etc? I am sure I read it is not owned by the RFL... could it be argued that the RFL should be looking to move close to the BBC in Salford, ideally MediaCity in order to develop closer links with the organisation and the media? I think it was Hector McNeil who suggested some sort of RFL Governing presence in the capital would hugely benefit the organisation and its links with the wider UK business located outside the game's heartlands.

Considering the press release mentions the RFL are looking to take advantage of the new league structures (!), wondered if people agree...

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#2 brooza

brooza
  • 4,291 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:22 PM

Maybe they could move to Swinton after Koukash has redeveloped it!

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#3 IM2

IM2
  • Coach
  • 894 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:35 PM

hes surfaced at lawn tennis with richard lewis

Season Tickets 2014
- �85 - season ticket
- �125 - family ticket
- �30 - 4 game pack

skolars shop here:
http://www.skolarsrl.../match-tickets/

Haringey Team of the Year 2014 Skolars U19s

Haringey Club of the year 2011
London RL Club of the year 2011

Skolars if Carlsberg made rugby clubs! Perhaps Leagues most progressive club!

#4 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

Just noticed that James Mercer is due to leave the RFL after a couple of years:

http://www.superleag...rning-body.html

However, it got me thinking about Red Hall and its location. What's the crack with the lease etc? I am sure I read it is not owned by the RFL... could it be argued that the RFL should be looking to move close to the BBC in Salford, ideally MediaCity in order to develop closer links with the organisation and the media? I think it was Hector McNeil who suggested some sort of RFL Governing presence in the capital would hugely benefit the organisation and its links with the wider UK business located outside the game's heartlands.

Considering the press release mentions the RFL are looking to take advantage of the new league structures (!), wondered if people agree...

The RFL used to have an office in London.  The RFU is now using it.

Moving to Media City would be a very good idea but I doubt that will happen.  I would imagine the costs would be higher to house the 100 or so workers doing something or other at Red Hall.

#5 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:48 PM

The RFL do still have the office in Media City that was used by the World Cup team.

#6 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:08 PM

The RFL do own Red Hall, they rented it for a while but purchased it outright from Leeds City Council a couple of years ago.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#7 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,748 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:46 PM

The RFL do still have the office in Media City that was used by the World Cup team.

The RFL do own Red Hall, they rented it for a while but purchased it outright from Leeds City Council a couple of years ago.

Cheers - both interesting! Is the Media City specifically for the RFL as seems strange to have two locations in the north of England?!

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#8 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:30 PM

They do still have a presence at Media City.

In terms of London, *if* developing the sport down there is still seen as a priority, there needs to be a central base of operations for Rugby League at all levels. I still think a trick was missed not acquiring the lease for the New River site when it was available.

#9 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:19 PM

The RFL used to have an office in London. The RFU is now using it.

Presumably they hoped they'd leave some development plans and players phone numbers in the drawers.

Edited by John Rhino, 21 March 2014 - 09:20 PM.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#10 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 972 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:33 AM

They do still have a presence at Media City.

In terms of London, *if* developing the sport down there is still seen as a priority, there needs to be a central base of operations for Rugby League at all levels.

There is, in the Football Foundation HQ in central.

#11 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 972 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:35 AM

hes surfaced at lawn tennis with richard lewis

Not strictly true, Lewis is at the AELTC aka Wimbledon.

#12 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:58 PM

There is, in the Football Foundation HQ in central.

You've misunderstood the point I was making, Davey Boy. Not like you ;)

#13 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 972 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:49 AM

You've misunderstood the point I was making, Davey Boy. Not like you ;)

How so Roberto?

#14 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:21 AM

Cheers - both interesting! Is the Media City specifically for the RFL as seems strange to have two locations in the north of England?!

I think its only a relatively small office, more to be used as a base there than any substantial presence. But at least there is a presence there and allows us to get in the ears of BBC sport as much as we can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users