Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rhodes Knights into Greece Rugby League championship final

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,487 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:17 PM

RHODES KNIGHTS INTO GREECE RUGBY LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL

With their fifth straight victory, Rhodes Knights has booked a place in the inaugural Greek Rugby League Championship final in May.

The Knights now stand on 15 points, three ahead of second placed Aris Petroupolis in the five-team league.

AEK Kokkinias are in third spot with six points followed by Pegasus Neos Kosmos and Promitheas Rendi.

“Before the start of the season we prepared the team using a good base of experienced players with the addition of new ones of some potential who seemed to want to get to know the sport,” explained Knights  coach Mihalis Chatziioannou.

“The team became even stronger and more solid as the season went on. I’m very proud of my players, the way they played in every match and of course for securing our place in the championship final,” he added.

“We earned something more than victories through these games; my players got experience, especially the young ones, like Panagiotis Lambousis, Stefanos Bastas, Alvaro Zota and Nikos Bosmos. These players reacted in a mature way and they are also possible for the national team.

“Our next target is forming a full club, having women and kids teams.”

Chatziioannou’s is the only side with a positive for-and-against point’s difference having amassed a staggering 334 and conceded only 48. The island team is now preparing to finish off the season with three home games against Pegasus, AEK and Prometheus - making a perfect season a plausible target.

Fourteen regular season matches have been played so far, with six remaining.

Hopeful finalists AEK and Aris have played each other twice with both clinching a narrow home win, Aris by 32-24 and AEK victorious 24-20.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:31 PM

I really think Greece has enormous potential for RL, I can see them becoming one of the top nations in Europe in the next couple of years. The domestic league has grown pretty rapidly over there, plus they will be able to call on a large number of heritage players to bolster the team. When you look at Greece's sporting heritage, inventing the modern Olympics, plus big interest in sports like Wrestling and Water Polo, there is an interest in the 'gladiatorial sports', which hopefully RL can also appeal to. I think there's far more potential than places like Ireland and Italy. 

#3 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:57 AM

I really think Greece has enormous potential for RL, I can see them becoming one of the top nations in Europe in the next couple of years. The domestic league has grown pretty rapidly over there, plus they will be able to call on a large number of heritage players to bolster the team. When you look at Greece's sporting heritage, inventing the modern Olympics, plus big interest in sports like Wrestling and Water Polo, there is an interest in the 'gladiatorial sports', which hopefully RL can also appeal to. I think there's far more potential than places like Ireland and Italy.

I just watched the movie 300. I wouldn't fancy meeting some of those boys in the front row.

#4 MidlandsJohn

MidlandsJohn
  • Players
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:19 PM

If they keep improving, the next step could be a strong regional competition - you've got Greece, Serbia, Italy and Lebanon all within fairly close proximity, so travel costs hopefully wouldn't be a huge issue.

Also, the tradition of large multi-sport clubs could help RL in terms of exposure - I'm guessing the AEK mentioned in the article is AEK Athens? Can you imagine if Olympiakos and Panathinaikos start an RL setup? There'd be bigger hits in the stands than on the pitch!

#5 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:39 PM

If they keep improving, the next step could be a strong regional competition - you've got Greece, Serbia, Italy and Lebanon all within fairly close proximity, so travel costs hopefully wouldn't be a huge issue.

Also, the tradition of large multi-sport clubs could help RL in terms of exposure - I'm guessing the AEK mentioned in the article is AEK Athens? Can you imagine if Olympiakos and Panathinaikos start an RL setup? There'd be bigger hits in the stands than on the pitch!

No it's AEK Kokkinas, who were originally a football club. I completely agree with what you say about multi sports clubs. The most popular sports in Europe, such as Basketball, Handball, Water Polo and Volleyball have multi sports teams from big football clubs, like Real Madrid and Barcelona having basketball teams, as do Olympiakos. We have Red Star Belgrade/Crvena Zveda in Serbia, but I think that is good way to grow the game around Europe. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users