Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Place your bets early for lowest ever SL crowd

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,941 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:26 PM

London v Cas on Thursday night in front of the Sky cameras will do well to break a thousand. 

###### planning, terrible for the away fans and a complete farce

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#2 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,078 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:43 PM

London v Cas on Thursday night in front of the Sky cameras will do well to break a thousand. 

###### planning, terrible for the away fans and a complete farce

Sky sometimes seem to go out of their way to show the game in a bad light.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#3 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,883 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:25 PM

I presume you'll be in attendance KT?

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#4 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,954 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:37 PM

The record low is 500 for Paris once. London Vs Castleford will just beat that but later in the season London Vs Catalans probably won't

#5 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:05 PM

Who cares?

#6 Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor
  • Coach
  • 7,726 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:26 PM

The perfect time to push the match, tv, no other competitive fixtures. 

What about from a commercial sense? Hospitality?

Be positive, maybe this could be good for the club.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

#7 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:35 PM

The perfect time to push the match, tv, no other competitive fixtures. 

What about from a commercial sense? Hospitality?

Be positive, maybe this could be good for the club.

You would think so, but the club won't do anything about it and then no doubt claim that there's no interest in RL down here after the game. If I was in charge, then I've give away free tickets to local primary schools and get new potential fans watching the sport. 

#8 Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor
  • Coach
  • 7,726 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:45 PM

You would think so, but the club won't do anything about it and then no doubt claim that there's no interest in RL down here after the game. If I was in charge, then I've give away free tickets to local primary schools and get new potential fans watching the sport. 

Would be a starting point.

The RFL have a database of all the fans who attented a world cup match from London, this is the perfect opportunity. 

I want London to be successful, I really do. Good luck to you.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

#9 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:51 PM

The RFL have a database of all the fans who attented a world cup match from London, this is the perfect opportunity. 

Thanks, but it's very frustrating supporting the club, knowing the same mistakes will be made over and over again. The Wembley database would be a start, but I think we missed out on the momentum of that, with all the hoohah over whether the club would be around or not. I guess it doesn't matter to the club, given all the money goes to Barnet FC anyway.

#10 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,078 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:01 AM

You cannot just give all the names in your database to someone else.

Unless people agree to their details being passed on then you are in breach of the data protection act.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#11 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,941 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:10 AM

I presume you'll be in attendance KT?

Nope, I have to go to Vegas on Wednesday
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#12 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,095 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:55 AM

I suspect the crowd will be terrifyingly low.

If London play for 80 minutes the way they did in stretches last night though it should at least be a competitive game.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#13 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,796 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:06 AM

Thanks, but it's very frustrating supporting the club, knowing the same mistakes will be made over and over again. The Wembley database would be a start, but I think we missed out on the momentum of that, with all the hoohah over whether the club would be around or not. I guess it doesn't matter to the club, given all the money goes to Barnet FC anyway.

It does matter to Barnet FC though - they make more money if the crowds are bigger

#14 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,796 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:08 AM

I suspect the crowd will be terrifyingly low.

If London play for 80 minutes the way they did in stretches last night though it should at least be a competitive game.

Also doesnt the camera point at the small "stand"? If Barnet close off both terraces it will look empty

#15 latchford albion

latchford albion
  • Coach
  • 317 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:32 AM

Well the RFL haven't given the names on their World Cup database to Broncos, but as I have received an e mail directly from them promoting a two for one offer, then they are doing their best to get a crowd for the game.

Unfortunately, I won't be taking up the offer as I have to be up for work the following morning and wouldn't get in from the match until about 11.30.  What maybe people who don't live in London fail to understand is the sheer size of the place.  The Hive is easier for me to get to from home than the Stoop, but, and I've just checked on AA Route Finder and National Rail Enquiries for road and rail timings, I could get to the John Smith's Stadium from my mum's old house in Warrington in less time than it takes to get from Leyton to Edgware. 

#16 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,883 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:35 PM

Nope, I have to go to Vegas on Wednesday

Cas Vegas?  :huh:

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#17 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:51 PM

Seeing as dwindling sport is de regueur in various parts, like Bradford. I predict a record dwindlers crowd of 301 v Catalans. One reason being the mega heatwave predicted two weeks earlier in the Express.

Edited by Grollo, 22 March 2014 - 03:52 PM.

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

#18 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,978 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:29 PM

Cas Vegas? :huh:

Ponte Carlo?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#19 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:17 PM

I got an email from Sky on Friday which offered, amongst other things, half price tickets for the Broncos v Cas game - £11.50 IIRC. 

#20 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:18 PM

There's two points about London Rugby League crowds that never feature in internet debate 

One - Since most Southern fans do not grow up with the sport, you will find people have a portfolio of sports they are interested in, for me it's Cricket, Rugby League, Rugby Union and American Football. What tends to happen is this,your pecking order of sports changes over time and according to how well the sport is going in the UK. For example, i was a London Monarchs Season Ticket Holder in WLAF days and am an International series ST holder. In recent years my level of interest in American Football has gone back to early 1990's levels. For other fans say a soccer - Rugby League fan who finds London doing badly and his / her soccer team doing well you will find that that fan has a greater interest in soccer than previously. It does not mean that people are giving up on the game of Rugby League and heading off to the Golf Course - that's a championship fan thing y'know -  it simply means that people develop a greater interest in those other sports they already follow,

Two - The decision by Barnet FC to have HIve Memberships as opposed to season tickets actually broke the link between fans and club, In the last few bleak seasons I suspect many of us went because of the social aspect or like me becuse they had already paid for their ticket and were going to get their money's worth . Taking this Castleford game as an example, Last season i wuld have gone. this season I will pick and choose when it suits me and given the choice of a past midnight return home and work the following morning or watching indoors on SKY. I think I will do the latter and I am sure I am not alone. Even if Barnet FC - whose money it is - relents and allows a half-season ticket I wuld not buy it now nor would too many others I suspect.. 

Although I have been to  the HAC trial game and have my (discounted) Challenge Cup and Grand Final Ticket's its probably the case that the 9 (WCC, Queensland Cup and NRL) League games I saw in Australia are going to be more "live" games than I see in the UK this season. Before anybody tries the "loyal suypporter" angle, I have always wanted to attend a TRL gathering pre-Grand final simply tro see which ones of you actually say "i have seen HIM before" at Internationals, Finals, representative matches and when Millenium Magic meant something.

With no credible international programme to 2016 and there being no Super League rugby south of Wakefield next year, although I am not giving the game up where RL will stand in my sporting pecking order come 2016 is a question I currently cannnot answer.

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users