Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Place your bets early for lowest ever SL crowd

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:06 PM

Governing bodies that were pro-active would identify games like these that are allocated to sky (on an awkward day/night) and work with London to target it. For example, a SL road show or a special package of entertainment. They could even target getting a couple of hundred more Cas fans to the game through incentives. They could even wine and dine a couple of hundred potential sponsors through a RL grant or offer schools £200 worth of sports equipment if they could get 50 people to the game.

I think it is called Public Relations (i.e. working hard to put a club and a sport in a decent light to potentially attract investment or sponsorship). We all know how the AFL (Australia) or NFL (USA) would handle a situation like this. This is the first televised fixture in London since the 2013 WC SF.

Our game just buries its head in the sand and people take great pleasure from freezing the tv pictures and counting the attendance. For me, seeing 750 souls there will be very sad sight.

Edited by Scubby, 23 March 2014 - 03:06 PM.

#22 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 217 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:37 PM

This is a bad date. A friend of mine worked in sports marketing and always maintains that you can never make a bad date good but can make a good date better. Just have to swallow it. Kleanthous is out of his depth here.

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

#23 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 225 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:51 PM

This is a bad date. A friend of mine worked in sports marketing and always maintains that you can never make a bad date good but can make a good date better. Just have to swallow it. Kleanthous is out of his depth here.

Kleanthous may well be out of his depth, but he's quids in, regardless.

He's on a few grand in ticket sales, a few bob from the RFL for marketing (I'd call it what it is, as in a bribe but I suppose that might be seen as Libellous), a few bob in pie and ale sales and some pennies in the shop......it costs him little to open his facility, even less when he shuts the terraces.

It amazes me that 6 weeks on from the fans forum, which was "hailed" by some as proof that the club were contrite but now knew what needed doing, we are holding our collective breath in fear of either the Castleford game this week, of the Catalans one in April being the lowest attended SL game in 19 years.

#24 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 217 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:21 PM

I must admit, I'm not surprised.  However, I was told I was being too cynical.  I think we've agreed on this one before, this is essentially grave-robbing.

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

#25 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 225 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:47 PM

I must admit, I'm not surprised.  However, I was told I was being too cynical.  I think we've agreed on this one before, this is essentially grave-robbing.

Grave Robbers get paid for the corpse......this ones been rotting for too long to be worth anything.

#26 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:22 PM

1036 according to the bbc website

#27 gutterfax

gutterfax
  • Coach
  • 225 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:14 AM

No reason to doubt the announced figure.....I'd hazard a guess that a few of them were there to celebrate the departure of the CEO.

#28 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:43 AM

Can I ask something stupid?

I listened to the latest RL down south and heard of the growth going where no teams were playing 3 seasons ago and now they have all age groups covered some with 2 teams in the same age group and so on ..

My question, what are the London Broncos doing to get these and other children (mostly) and there parents along to the Home games?

#29 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,633 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:10 AM

My question, what are the London Broncos doing to get these and other children (mostly) and there parents along to the Home games?

Persuading people to spend hard earned money to take themselves or their families to see a team that is arguably one of the worst in the SL era is a tough ask, if not impossible. On Sky the other night, Phil Clarke was confidently predicting that they would win at least one game this year. One game. How the hell can you sell that to the people of London?

#30 Toby Chopra

Toby Chopra
  • Players
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:30 AM

You wouldn't want to use what's on offer at the moment at the Hive to promote anything - would do more harm than good.

In fact, a bold administrator might ditch the Broncos at this point and bring the other teams down to the Hive to fill out their fixtures - but by playing each other. Better matchups to promote TGG in the south, and probably would attract better crowds too.

Would be a shame for the local lads who are in the London squad - but to be honest, what's a season of batterings going to do for them, development-wise?

#31 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:39 AM

Persuading people to spend hard earned money to take themselves or their families to see a team that is arguably one of the worst in the SL era is a tough ask, if not impossible. On Sky the other night, Phil Clarke was confidently predicting that they would win at least one game this year. One game. How the hell can you sell that to the people of London?

That's true no one wants to watch rubbish, but they haven't always been so rubbish.

#32 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:42 AM

I listened to the latest RL down south and heard of the growth going where no teams were playing 3 seasons ago and now they have all age groups covered some with 2 teams in the same age group and so on ..

Even if there was a decent team at the Broncos it would still be a difficult sell given the distances involved. It's one thing to get kids playing the game, and their parents to help out, but to expect them to travel to The Hive from Medway or Brentwood or Elmbridge on a regular basis is just not practical.

Also, there is very rarely much of a cross-over between people playing a game and going to watch it. It's usually two different sets of people, and that applies to most sports.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#33 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:19 AM

Further to previous replies, I understand a lot of these junior teams play on Saturdays, making it even more tricky for the youngsters and their families to subsequently get to a Broncos game.

#34 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,937 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:38 AM

1036 according to the bbc website

15 home games now for clubs in danger (jeopardy) of going down.

Average crowds this year under relegation 5092, same games last year under licensing 6111.

#35 Toby Chopra

Toby Chopra
  • Players
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:57 AM

15 home games now for clubs in danger (jeopardy) of going down.

Average crowds this year under relegation 5092, same games last year under licensing 6111.

Which clubs are you calculating that with? What would be the figure taking out the Broncos, who would have collapsed whatever the scenario?

#36 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:15 AM

Even if there was a decent team at the Broncos it would still be a difficult sell given the distances involved. It's one thing to get kids playing the game, and their parents to help out, but to expect them to travel to The Hive from Medway or Brentwood or Elmbridge on a regular basis is just not practical.

Also, there is very rarely much of a cross-over between people playing a game and going to watch it. It's usually two different sets of people, and that applies to most sports.

Indeed. In terms of travel times, it's like calling into question the crowds at Widnes because there's juniors playing the game in Fev.

People called Romans they go the house

#37 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 649 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:36 AM

Previously they have given free tickets to Greater London juniors including schools they had links with. The practice was stopped due to the lack of response. Through one of the most widely read newspapers in Greater London they were giving away thousands of free tickets, that had little impact on the attendances. The problem is getting the parents/guardians to come along.

#38 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:52 AM

Because most of the development work isn't really happening in London, it's mostly Medway, Hemel, Elmbridge and Staines. There's only really Feltham in London, but that's on the outskirts. In terms of inner London, there is very little RL. In fact, I would say not many of the fans travel from London, but from outside of London and it's a big ask to get them to travel to every game. Also the constant moving is having an effect, especially as the club have never tried to put roots in the local community and just tried to target Aussies constantly. I said we should look at giving free tickets to local primary schools, young children aren't as attached to winning at that age as older fans would. I used to see loads of school kids when we first became Quins, but in the last few years there's been very little. 

#39 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,937 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:45 PM

Which clubs are you calculating that with? What would be the figure taking out the Broncos, who would have collapsed whatever the scenario?

Wakey, HKR, London, Bradford and Catalans.

No I'm not taking anything out like the Broncos collapse, or the 4,000 extra fans that turned up for the opening of the revamped HKR ground.

The figures are the figures and the five strugglers have not attracted more fans because of the "excitement" of relegation four pointers and the scrap for every point.

#40 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:17 PM

Wakey, HKR, London, Bradford and Catalans.

No I'm not taking anything out like the Broncos collapse, or the 4,000 extra fans that turned up for the opening of the revamped HKR ground.

The figures are the figures and the five strugglers have not attracted more fans because of the "excitement" of relegation four pointers and the scrap for every point.

Some of those clubs were doing very well last year. Why didnt you use the worst 5 teams from last year for the same part if the season?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users