Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

new structure idea

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 JM2010

JM2010
  • Coach
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:03 PM

With the new structure starting next year with each team playing each other twice followed by the 3 x 8 plus magic weekend totalling 30 games, would it be better if each team played each other once before the split and then twice each in the 8s. This would reduce the amount of games, allowing the opportunity for representative fixtures. It may also offer more competitive games which could help imrove the national side as the top players would be getting challenged more regularly. It would also give ambitious
championship clubs such as Leigh and
Featherstone more big games which would help with their switch to full time squads. The first 12 games could be used for the sole purpose of qualification which may also reduce 'dead rubber' games in the top and bottom 8 as the points could
be reset at the start of the next phase.

#2 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:37 PM

That was the original idea. They decided this was a better idea. Clubs cannot afford to lose fixtures.
Posted Image

#3 JM2010

JM2010
  • Coach
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:43 PM

They wouldn't lose many compared to this year as I think they play 27 this year and it would have been 26 next if they stuck with the original idea. Extra revenue could also be created through international/representative fixtures and the competitiveness of the games could make them more marketable

#4 Lesmets

Lesmets
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:46 PM

They have over complicated the structure for next year and it's going to hurt RL in the UK in the long run as a follower of the sport I'm still 100% certain how it's works yet !let alone how a casual fan will see it .
They had the perfect structure a few years back 12 teams with the top 5 in the finals ,And bottom team relegated!

#5 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:49 PM

They have over complicated the structure for next year and it's going to hurt RL in the UK in the long run as a follower of the sport I'm still 100% certain how it's works yet !let alone how a casual fan will see it .
They had the perfect structure a few years back 12 teams with the top 5 in the finals ,And bottom team relegated!

I really don't see what's difficult about it.
Posted Image

#6 JM2010

JM2010
  • Coach
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:54 PM

Me neither. Top 8 play each other again to decide top 4. Bottom 4 of SL and top 4 of Chamionship play each other to decide the final 4 for SL the following season. Bottom 8 of championship play again to avoid relegation to Championship 2.

#7 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:25 PM

I agree this was the best format and the couple of years we had it produced the best football all the way to the finals and the best play-off series we've had.

That said, if we are to have 12x2 + 3x8, I think the fixture format suggested by the original poster is far superior from a fan's perspective, even if the bean counters are intent on squeezing every last game out of the regular season.

One other thing I'll say is that Magic really needs taking out of the regular season now and, ideally, should be a nines event.

#8 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:19 AM

the 3x8 bit needs to sold as..

the top 8 - grand final play offs

middle 8 - relegation play offs

bottom 8 - championship divisional cup

the 2x12 bit is the normal league campaign..a normal home,away & magic game structure with both comps produce a league leader winner...then into the 3x8 play offs...

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#9 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:16 AM

the 3x8 bit needs to sold as..

the top 8 - grand final play offs

middle 8 - relegation play offs

bottom 8 - championship divisional cup

the 2x12 bit is the normal league campaign..a normal home,away & magic game structure with both comps produce a league leader winner...then into the 3x8 play offs...

How can you sell it as play-offs when you're carrying the points forward from your "normal league campaign" ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#10 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:16 AM

That was the original idea. They decided this was a better idea. Clubs cannot afford to lose fixtures.

Let's play every day, like baseball.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#11 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,755 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:22 AM

I agree this was the best format and the couple of years we had it produced the best football all the way to the finals and the best play-off series we've had.

I'd also suggest that the Championship Grand Final was also turning into a big event in its own right as well. Just my opinion of course but the new structure is a mistake when the older concept, whilst not perfect, was a better structure for the game...

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#12 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 364 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:46 PM

TWO LEAGUES OF TEN IS WHATS NEEDED
Chief Crazy Eagle

#13 Lesmets

Lesmets
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:47 PM

Another quick point ,tho the proff will be in the eating ,if the top 8 play each other again to get into the top 4 there's a very good chance team 8 will be eliminated from a chance of the top 4 b4 it even starts ,leaving a team with nothing to play for but in a 12 team comp an 8 might still have a chance of top 5 at a similar point in the season ,it's to many levels to jump through over complicating the situation ,first 12 then 8 then 4 ,this format will only alienate any casual or new fans and do nothing to grow the sport ,I give it 3 years and I guarantee there talking about changing it again!!

#14 JM2010

JM2010
  • Coach
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:51 PM

[quote name="Lesmets" post="2903722" timestamp="1395492434"]

Another quick point ,tho the proff will be in the eating ,if the top 8 play each other again to get into the top 4 there's a very good chance team 8 will be eliminated from a chance of the top 4 b4 it even
starts ,leaving a team with nothing to play for but
in a 12 team comp an 8 might still have a chance
of top 5 at a similar point in the season ,it's to
many levels to jump through over complicating
the situation ,first 12 then 8 then 4 ,this format will
only alienate any casual or new fans and do
nothing to grow the sport ,I give it 3 years and I
guarantee there talking about changing it again!![/
quote]

This is one of the reasons I suggested playing once in the 12 and twice in the 8,starting from scratch, so then all 8 teams have something to play for from the start

#15 BenGilesRL

BenGilesRL
  • Twitter
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:59 AM

Another quick point ,tho the proff will be in the eating ,if the top 8 play each other again to get into the top 4 there's a very good chance team 8 will be eliminated from a chance of the top 4 b4 it even starts

League table after Round 23 2013

Huddersfield 36
Wigan 35
Warrington 35
Leeds 31
St Helens 25
Catalan Dragons 24
Hull K R 24
Hull 22
Bradford 20
Wakefield 19
Widnes16
Castleford 14
Salford 11
London Broncos 8

Gap between 8th and 4th was 9pts - however this gap should be reduced due to a better standard comp with only 11 teams to play instead of 13.

I think based on this 8th will be a maximum of 3 wins (6pts) away from 4th in 2015

#16 TheObserver

TheObserver
  • Coach
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:10 AM

Could someone clarify the proposed structure for 2015 for the Super League 1 clubs?

Phase 1 = top 12 clubs play each other home and away, plus another game during the Magic Weekend.

Phase 2 = top 8 split off to play each other once.

Phase 3 = top 4 of those go the SL finals series, which is a straight knockout.

If correct, this would amount to an increase from 27 regular season fixtures, to 30. It would also amount to an increase from 31 league/finals fixtures to 32.

If a top team, like Leeds, finished in the Top 8,  They could play the rest of the

* Top 12 twice (home and away)

* Top 8 a third time

* Magic Weekend opponent a 4th time.

Leeds would receive significantly more repeat fixtures than under the 14 team SL structure (where they played only 1 club 3 times, as opposed to 7 clubs 3 times or more).

OTOH if a club like Hull KR were to finish 11th (their current table position). They'll play the rest of the

* Top 12 twice (home and away)

* Bottom 4 a third time

* SL2/Championship top 4 once

* Magic weekend opponent a 3rd or 4th time.

Edited by TheObserver, 23 March 2014 - 10:14 AM.

#17 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:39 AM

How can you sell it as play-offs when you're carrying the points forward from your "normal league campaign" ?

you misunderstand...

theres no carry over points...just a 2x12 regular season,then top 8 play offs,middle 8 relegation/promotion play offs & a bottom 8 championship divisional cup...

no silly pointless extra games

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#18 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:51 AM

The new structure will remove the likelihood of poor attendances in the play offs though. The Top 8 fixtures are to be included in the season ticket from what I understand, meaning that the only non season ticket games will be the play off semi final and grand final. 

You'd like to think a play off semi final should be able to attract a big crowd!

#19 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,973 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:49 AM

you misunderstand...

theres no carry over points...just a 2x12 regular season,then top 8 play offs,middle 8 relegation/promotion play offs & a bottom 8 championship divisional cup...

no silly pointless extra games

There's carry-over points in the first and third eights.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#20 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 364 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:53 PM

If we are to have two leagues of twelve with this crazy formular where teams end up playing 30 games . Then for the sake of three extra games why not have two leagues of 12 playing each other in there own league three times for 33 games with one up one down . Top five play offs 16 home games and 16 away games a season plus the magic weekends . A fair and simpilar system where every team can budget for the season better and with the guarantee of one up one down . Super league premiership and super league championship is the way to go. 

Edited by superten, 24 March 2014 - 07:59 PM.

Chief Crazy Eagle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users