1. I don't think anyone would expect them to do any better, but would they do any worse?
2. It's certainly better than these aspiring clubs losing interest and kids stopping playing the game in these areas.
3. I also feel that the proposed structure would give some relegated clubs a springboard to turn themselves around and come back up much stronger than when they were spending year upon year in Super League mediocrity.
1. I don't think they'd do any worse than the shambles the bottom 3 SL clubs are in Steve, no. So maybe that's why P & R is back (it's certainly not for bigger crowds as per the totally unfounded KPMG claim already discredited by the facts) because protecting clubs from relegation to enable them to "grow" actually did not work. It's fair enough we have P & R back.
2. From my research not that many kids play the game in Championship areas anyway. Sure if Featherstone Rovers or Leigh got a sustained run in Superleague more kids could be interested in playing but bear the following in mind:-
a. Steve Gill's Castleford have been a superleague side for what? 16 out of 18 seasons now? Steve says less kids are playing RL in Castleford so you have no guarantee a struggling SL club will stimulate fan and player growth.
And that runs full circle back to Ralph Rimmer assertion in 2006 that having a decent run of seasons in Superleague would allow a club to develop the player and fan base. It did not happen for the bottom clubs so we cannot have it both ways. We cannot deride the failure of SL clubs who did not grow fans and players then predict championship clubs taking their place will buck the trend and..........
b. If being in the championship loses fans and players just how many fans and how many kids does the game stand to lose in Bradford if they don't come back after a relegation??
3. With respoect your perpetuating the myth that getting relegated allows a club to "come back stronger". there is no evidence at all for this and again you are saying that going down means a clubs gets less interest from fans watching and kids playing, yet you tell me that is a springboard to coming back stronger.
I've heard it 1,000 times Steve and posted 1,000 times asking people to give me good reason why this should be so?
All I then get is derision for another 1,000 posts saying the same thing because I never get an answer. Oddly it comes from championship fans who want to argue SL clubs down. "Relegation will be good for them". Why????
Edited by The Parksider, 16 April 2014 - 07:48 AM.