Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

bring back 'on the road games'

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 JM2010

JM2010
  • Coach
  • 125 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:07 AM

Instead of playing every teams extra fixture all in one place, so close to the so called 'heartlands', in front of a total of 60 000 ish fans during the Magic Weekend would it be better if these extra fixtures were spread out across the season and played in other areas such as, Bristol, Oxford, N Wales, S, Wales, Cumbria, North East? If these games were
promoted as big events I'm sure good crowds could be attracted which could provide SL and RL
in general with many benefits. It could attract new
fans to the sport from across the country which may have a positive effect on viewing figures, attendances at major events and internationals, support for their local teams. Events could also be organised in the build up to, and after these games to increase participation levels, especially amongst juniors.

#2 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,865 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:09 AM

On the Road games don't work in my opinion.  They annoy (rightly) club season ticket holders and regular fans and they are a monumentally tough sell to get locals of another area interested.

It isn't remotely the same as the decent crowds we saw for the World Cup games.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#3 JM2010

JM2010
  • Coach
  • 125 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:22 AM

If they were promoted well in areas where there is some interest I think it would work. Towns and cities could apply to stage these games and the game could be included in the season ticket at no extra cost which may entice some regular fans to attend. I don't believe magic games are included in season tickets so it shouldn't really bother season ticket holders

#4 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,863 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:56 AM

(They) Could attract new fans to the sport from across the country which may have a positive effect on viewing figures, attendances at major events and internationals, support for their local teams. Events could also be organised in the build up to, and after these games to increase participation levels, especially amongst juniors.

So two SL clubs descend on say Oxford, play a game and the result is a permanent rise in Oxfords "Crowds", more Oxford people sign up to SKY, Oxford people then start going to Internationals, and junior clubs spring up in Oxford?

I don't think there is any evidence this ever happened JM, the biggest "on the road" experiment was when the RFL held Millenium Magic in Cardiff for a few years in a row yet today we have a badly struggling south wales scorpions with not much of an amateur game to talk about.

I don't think any sports fans need two SL clubs shoving under their noses to awaken them to the fact RL is a great game. They all have televisions and newspapers.

#5 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:20 PM

I don't think any sports fans need two SL clubs shoving under their noses to awaken them to the fact RL is a great game. They all have televisions and newspapers.

Televisions and newspapers from which Rugby League is notoriously absent for the most part. Few, if any, who have no prior knowledge of the sport will magically discover it through either of these channels these days.

But neither will one-off 'on the road' fixtures achieve anything either.

For it to have any impact, we'd have to target a specific area for growth and focus on that, perhaps by staging a rolling series of SL games in that area over consecutive weekends, to get the locals to buy into the concept of watching live Rugby League on a regular basis, and hammer the local media with associated promotional activities and offer group or 'season' tickets to see all 7 games.

All of which would have more point to it than the current Magic Weekend, which ought to be replaced by a Nines tournament along the lines of what we saw in Auckland earlier this year.

None of this will happen.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#6 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,938 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:21 PM

So two SL clubs descend on say Oxford, play a game and the result is a permanent rise in Oxfords "Crowds", more Oxford people sign up to SKY, Oxford people then start going to Internationals, and junior clubs spring up in Oxford?

I don't think there is any evidence this ever happened JM, the biggest "on the road" experiment was when the RFL held Millenium Magic in Cardiff for a few years in a row yet today we have a badly struggling south wales scorpions with not much of an amateur game to talk about.

It wasn't so long ago that "South Wales Scorpions" and the "expanding amateur base in South Wales" were evidence that "stick in a pin in a map" vis-a-vis Crusaders was a fantastic success according to you.

Now they are "badly struggling" and "not much".

Amazing.

#7 JM2010

JM2010
  • Coach
  • 125 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:24 PM

I never stated anything as a fact and I said MAY and COULD. It's an idea which may or may nor have merits. That's why I put it out their to see what responses there would be. It's more proactive than your idea of just expecting people to become fans because they read a small match report in a paper or watched a game on TV.

#8 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 364 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:43 PM

I think a London week could be idea especially if London go down . At least then we could keep London in the super league loop. Take six games down there one a week in June and July. Surely plenty of different size venues that could possibly be used. Plenty of RL fans in London that follow teams like Wigan,Saints and Leeds.
Chief Crazy Eagle

#9 JM2010

JM2010
  • Coach
  • 125 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:45 PM

Televisions and newspapers from which Rugby League is notoriously absent for the most part. Few, if any, who have no prior knowledge of the sport will magically discover it through either of
these channels these days.

But neither will one-off 'on the road' fixtures
achieve anything either.

For it to have any impact, we'd have to target a specific area for growth and focus on that,
perhaps by staging a rolling series of SL games in
that area over consecutive weekends, to get the
locals to buy into the concept of watching live
Rugby League on a regular basis, and hammer the local media with associated promotional activities
and offer group or 'season' tickets to see all 7
games.

All of which would have more point to it than the current Magic Weekend, which ought to be replaced by a Nines tournament along the lines of
what we saw in Auckland earlier this year.

I agree one off games aren't effective. Areas need to be targetted and a few games a season need to be played there with all the promotion and fanfare to accompany them. However, I also think this is wishful thinking

#10 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:06 PM

Televisions and newspapers from which Rugby League is notoriously absent for the most part. Few, if any, who have no prior knowledge of the sport will magically discover it through either of these channels these days.

But neither will one-off 'on the road' fixtures achieve anything either.

For it to have any impact, we'd have to target a specific area for growth and focus on that, perhaps by staging a rolling series of SL games in that area over consecutive weekends, to get the locals to buy into the concept of watching live Rugby League on a regular basis, and hammer the local media with associated promotional activities and offer group or 'season' tickets to see all 7 games.

All of which would have more point to it than the current Magic Weekend, which ought to be replaced by a Nines tournament along the lines of what we saw in Auckland earlier this year.

Run out of likes today so will comment instead. Agree here JD; I'd start with two areas: London and Bristol building on the success of the RLWC ensuring the semi professional and community levels of the game are heavily involved as well. I also think England Knights should be playing Wales in Bristol.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#11 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,865 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:08 PM

Whatever the question, 9s is not the answer.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#12 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:36 PM

Whatever the question, 9s is not the answer.

What is Southern Air's IATA airline designator?

People called Romans they go the house

#13 Croxley Ben

Croxley Ben
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:12 PM

Don't the NFL play on the road games in London?  Used to be 1 game per season and next season 3, all 3 games sold out.

It depends how/if you promote it.  When the NFL comes to London they close down Regents Street /Traflagar Sq for a fan party...

In London, for example, the general public respond to "events", NFL, RLWC semi-final, Sarries @ Wembley, Wasps/Quins games at Wembley etc.

If you play a game and then disappear and that's it then no one will notice but If a city like Birmingham was given one on-the-road game, a Cup semi (both played in football off season) and an Eng V NZ/Aus game then it could work.

#14 JM2010

JM2010
  • Coach
  • 125 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:12 PM

They should target areas with semi pro teams who could then get involved with the event and even play as a curtain raiser to the game itself. This would help raise the profile of both SL and the local team. If this was done a few times per season over a 3-5 yr period I'm confident RL would grow in that area. Local amateur sides could also be included with SL players maybe running coaching clinics at these clubs as well as getting into schools. This could attract new players to the game which had to be a good thing. I'm struggling to find any negatives with this idea but I'm sure others on here may he able to find a few!

#15 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,934 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:55 PM

The NFL have almost infinite resources compared to RL to promote games.

We have to make a decision where to target our finite resources. We can't invent a concept with no money to pay for it because we have loads of other concepts to fund.

Make a decision, is RL in London a priority (it should be), throw all the resources at that, make it a success and move on.

you can only have one number one priority, and if something is the priority, then sod the rest.

By the way the above is a little TiC, but the point in general stands.

Edited by Padge, 22 March 2014 - 07:58 PM.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#16 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 807 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:16 PM

Out of interest, why aren't Catalans playing any on the road games this year? I'd love to see them play in Barcelona again. 

#17 JM2010

JM2010
  • Coach
  • 125 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:36 PM

The NFL have almost infinite resources compared to RL to promote games.

We have to make a decision where to target our
finite resources. We can't invent a concept with no
money to pay for it because we have loads of
other concepts to fund.

Make a decision, is RL in London a priority (it
should be), throw all the resources at that, make it
a success and move on.

you can only have one number one priority, and if
something is the priority, then sod the rest

By the way the above is a little TiC, but the point in
general stands.

I suppose the 'on the road' concept could he used to target London. The 6 games from the Magic Weekend could he played on seperate weekends throughout the season in London with all the promotional/development work that accompanies this.

To take this a step further could each SL club adopt an area of London and work with schools and amateur clubs to develop the game in the Capital, a bit Luke what Wigan set up in S Wales

#18 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,934 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:27 PM

I suppose the 'on the road' concept could he used to target London. The 6 games from the Magic Weekend could he played on seperate weekends throughout the season in London with all the promotional/development work that accompanies this.

To take this a step further could each SL club adopt an area of London and work with schools and amateur clubs to develop the game in the Capital, a bit Luke what Wigan set up in S Wales

Adopting London, is like adopting Wales and Scotland and throwing in Sweden

London is huge, its a mega city. You can't adopt London or parts of it.

London, or more to the point, a part of it needs to appoint you. That is happening in parts, a pro club needs roots, funding and lead feet (nobody can move them).

Let London be London ( whichever bit), but throw money at it.

Trying o be all of London will not work, buying a bit of London is the way,

Edited by Padge, 22 March 2014 - 10:27 PM.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#19 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,863 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:59 AM

1.Televisions and newspapers from which Rugby League is notoriously absent for the most part. Few, if any, who have no prior knowledge of the sport will magically discover it through either of these channels these days.

2.For it to have any impact, we'd have to target a specific area for growth and focus on that, perhaps by staging a rolling series of SL games in that area over consecutive weekends, to get the locals to buy into the concept of watching live Rugby League on a regular basis, and hammer the local media with associated promotional activities and offer group or 'season' tickets to see all 7 games.

1. For years top class Challenge Cup RL is shown on BBC sport as are top class internationals, and many on here point to the importance of terrestrial TV to showcase league, could there have been a better advert than the World cup between England and Kiwis game reported in newspapers as well as shown in full on TV. World cup games in areas where they don't talk about league or publish anything about league, that were well attended showed people know the game exists don't you think? and therefore.....

2. If you give them a successful SL club, or a meaningful International, they will attend the games. My opinion is that if you give them a few club games involving sides from other towns, then the circus goes away and leaves them to get on with building RL, then it won't work unless you give them their own top class club. Celtic Crusaders pushed to SL and started with a close game against St.Helens 6,000 turned out for that. But without the money they couldn't build on it. 

I think RL gets a relatively good press in traditional M62 areas and the population could not be more aware of the game in York, Rochdale, Swinton, Sheffield, Doncaster, Oldham, Keighley etc, Yet what numbers attend games there and what numbers choose to play the game there??

#20 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,863 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:19 AM

They should target areas with semi pro teams who could then get involved with the event and even play as a curtain raiser to the game itself. This would help raise the profile of both SL and the local team. If this was done a few times per season over a 3-5 yr period I'm confident RL would grow in that area. I'm struggling to find any negatives with this idea but I'm sure others on here may he able to find a few!

It's not a matter of being negative or positive JM, Rugby League is a business and it has to take decisions based on realities. To me the realities are:-

1. The sort of people who will attend RL games do know the game exists and if you put top class games on for them they come like Bristol people turned up for the World Cup, or Bridgend people turned up for Crusaders RL.v,St.Helens.

2. If we put any costly major promotion into a "new area" it will come as a cost and we need a return. Again consider the costs of promoting Millenium Magic and forming Celtic Crusaders, then consider the return once "Magic" moved out and the big money man pulled out??

3. The biggest reality of the lot we need to consider is that it would be great on paper to flood an area with Rugby League promotion to raise awareness and stimulate growth, but if that really worked why do places like

Oldham formed 1876 RL Champions/cupwinner six times

Swinton formed 1867 RL champions/cup winners seven times

and many of our Traditional areas like York (formed 1868) and Rochdale (formed 1871) have so few people attending games and playing RL?? After all these towns all know the sport exists.

This is not negativity it's simply business reality I think we have to work with, and find better ways to spend limited funds. I have positive ideas about how the sport should spend it's money for the best return and to me we should concentrate on strengthening the "product" the country has a real demand for.

Edited by The Parksider, 23 March 2014 - 07:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users