bring back 'on the road games'

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 bamfordsbeans

bamfordsbeans
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:22 AM

Has a decision been made about magic weekend next year ie are ther 22 or 23 fixtures before the play offs?

#22 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,379 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:22 AM

Has a decision been made about magic weekend next year ie are ther 22 or 23 fixtures before the play offs?

Each tier has its own Magic Weekend.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#23 JM2010

JM2010
  • Coach
  • 164 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:30 AM

This is not negativity it's simply business reality I think we have to work with, and find better ways to spend limited funds. I have positive ideas about how the sport should spend it's money for the best return and to me we should concentrate on strengthening the "product" the country has a real demand for.

I understand the RFL has got limited funds and many of the ideas regularly posted on this forum would require money. It's all about finding the most effective way to spend this money and what to achieve by doing this. Do we want more juniors playing the game countrywide or just in targetted areas, do we want more full time clubs, SL expansion, a greater geographical spread of semi pro clubs, bigger attendances, greater media coverage, growth in France, player retention etc. What would you prioritise Parky?

#24 JM2010

JM2010
  • Coach
  • 164 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:31 AM

Sorry first paragraph was a quote from Parksider. Didn't make that clear!

#25 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,491 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:46 AM

This is not negativity it's simply business reality I think we have to work with, and find better ways to spend limited funds. I have positive ideas about how the sport should spend it's money for the best return and to me we should concentrate on strengthening the "product" the country has a real demand for.

I understand the RFL has got limited funds and many of the ideas regularly posted on this forum would require money. It's all about finding the most effective way to spend this money and what to achieve by doing this. Do we want more juniors playing the game countrywide or just in targetted areas, do we want more full time clubs, SL expansion, a greater geographical spread of semi pro clubs, bigger attendances, greater media coverage, growth in France, player retention etc. What would you prioritise Parky?

For me what the public want to see is professional top class RL both International and top of the range Superleague. A little bit of negativity in me thinks that there isn't a magic solution and as the poor third cousin to Soccer and RU we may struggle even with the best thought out ideas.

To me the logical way to go is to try to have more big clubs like Saints, Leeds and Wigan who generate fans and quality players. To me the way to go is to have two SL clubs in France to generate some sort of meaningful regular International RL. To me a reduced SL running as a collective not twelve or even ten disparate businesses doing each other down including two french clubs tightly controlled from top to bottom, is my logical business plan for the game to keep as strong a foothold, for that's all we have ever had and are likely to maintain, as it can.

Edited by The Parksider, 23 March 2014 - 11:17 AM.

#26 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,593 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:54 PM

I agree one off games aren't effective. Areas need to be targetted and a few games a season need to be played there with all the promotion and fanfare to accompany them. However, I also think this is wishful thinking

In which case on the road games are useful as part of an aid to expansion in specific areas.  Therefore, it might be considered wise to have consider them when there is such an area.  A treatment to be used when applicable, rather than a medicine looking for an illness.  They will result in extra complication in the season, a lost home fixture, and huge effort to develop interest in an area where there may be nothing to capture that interest.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#27 JM2010

JM2010
  • Coach
  • 164 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:09 PM

Threy wouldn't be a lost home fixture as this already happens during magic weekend. I don't think they should go to areas with no interest or infrastructure and just hope it takes off. They should go to areas where the game is developing

#28 JM2010

JM2010
  • Coach
  • 164 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:21 PM

For me what the public want to see is professional top class RL both International and top of the range Superleague. A little bit of negativity in me thinks that there isn't a magic solution and as the poor third cousin to Soccer and RU we may struggle even with the best thought out ideas.

To me the logical way to go is to try to have more big clubs like Saints, Leeds and Wigan who generate fans and quality players. To me the way to go is to have two SL clubs in France to generate some sort of meaningful regular International RL. To me a reduced SL running as a collective not twelve or even ten disparate businesses doing each other down including two french clubs tightly controlled from top to bottom, is my logical business plan for the game to keep as strong a foothold, for that's all we have ever had and are likely to maintain, as it can.

What you say makes a lot of sense. I've got many ideas on what the RFL need to do to market the sport but high quality games in front of good crowds is the best marketing tool the game has got. If the RFL and SL clubs can raise the standards across the whole of SL so all the teams are competitive and also provide the public with regular high quality international games/competitions then marketing the game would be much easier. An example of this is the England vs NZ world cup game. This probably had a bigger impact than any marketing strategies the RFL uses and that is what we need more of

#29 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 695 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:57 PM

Threy wouldn't be a lost home fixture as this already happens during magic weekend. I don't think they should go to areas with no interest or infrastructure and just hope it takes off. They should go to areas where the game is developing

The problem for me is that any areas where the game is developing are currently built on sand. There's no coordinated approach from the RFL with development officers and schools competitions etc. The only bits of development that are going on are due to very small groups of very dedicated enthusiasts with very little support.

Out of interest, does anyone know who the RFL Development Officers are? Last time I went on their website to look I couldn't find anyone who was responsible for development. Are there even any?

#30 eal

eal
  • Players
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:08 AM

Next season they could cetainly play on-the-road games in London and Bradford.

#31 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,491 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:19 AM

What you say makes a lot of sense. I've got many ideas on what the RFL need to do to market the sport but high quality games in front of good crowds is the best marketing tool the game has got. If the RFL and SL clubs can raise the standards across the whole of SL so all the teams are competitive and also provide the public with regular high quality international games/competitions then marketing the game would be much easier. An example of this is the England vs NZ world cup game. This probably had a bigger impact than any marketing strategies the RFL uses and that is what we need more of

Pleased we agree.

However if we used all the SKY funds and big match profits to bolster the Superleague and International RL then there are 25-27 clubs outside those top two (International RL & Full time RL) tiers who would struggle badly without the subsidies and hand outs that currently keep them alive in the face of falling crowds and less commercial interest.

Few are in danger of folding, because they can find a level where their own income would match expenditure, but it would be a CC1 level and non of them would ever see a chance of Superleague again. Hence the counter arguments on here about how the game is growing and it's just a matter of time whilst some clubs develop the players, pull the fans and get the "structures" in place.

So if you support my conclusions then get your tin hat on and be prepared for the opposite view!!

#32 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,491 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:23 AM

The problem for me is that any areas where the game is developing are currently built on sand. There's no coordinated approach from the RFL with development officers and schools competitions etc. The only bits of development that are going on are due to very small groups of very dedicated enthusiasts with very little support.

Out of interest, does anyone know who the RFL Development Officers are? Last time I went on their website to look I couldn't find anyone who was responsible for development. Are there even any?

This post seems to conclude the game is far from growing outside the pockets of strength along the M62. It may be the development officers lost their Sports England funding.

I think your analysis is spot on. The advent of RL across the country where it was boasted it was "played in every county" apart from Devon wasn't because RL is starting to grow and will take over from RU. More that the fre gangway allows people to choose which game to play or can play both.

I think we have grown "a bit" on the back of the free gangway.

I think these things have to be faced up to rather than re-interpreted as the sporting public of GB slowly turning to RL, and I think we need to develop what it is that makes people up and down the country admire the game, take it up and go watch it, and for me it's the professional arm of the game.

#33 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,945 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:38 AM

Agree with the points about one of games having little impact on expanding the games, but speaking purely as a fan, I really used to enjoy the games Wigan had on the road.  Playing Saints at Swansea's old football ground and Gateshead in Edinburgh at Hearts ground are probably two of my most memerable away trips.  So from that point of view I'd love to see them return if implemented properly and some benefit beyond a decent weekend away could achieved for the game as a whole.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users