Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Swinton Vs Barrow - Team & Predictions

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 eddo

eddo
  • Coach
  • 104 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:48 AM

Well evidently and stand to be corrected dual reg will thankfully be deceased with the restructuring . Should never have been accepted in the first place and has ruined a good competitive league , loan players have always been required in the part time game at some stages of the season no problem..

Even wukkie froth every week about which Wigan players will be available , To an old timer like me i find staggering from such strong rugby league community.

Rant over we still need a coach and at least one or two more experienced players , we came up alongside  Donny they are now top eight and we are struggling the same as last year on 30% higher gates and no ground rent , going in reverse .

#42 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:05 AM

Shaw is a Warrington player. He scored 14 points for Barrow today
If you remove points scored by Warrington players on both teams Swinton win 20 12
Penny was a Swinton player in 2012 and 2013 and has yet to don a first team Warrington shirt in super league so hardly anything has changed as regards him.
Its a mistake many make that he was a Warrington player prior to this season.
Incidentally you have Ian Mort and Jack Morrison in your ranks. Tempted by your higher wages. Last season Jack Spencer. ..a Swinton lad...seen training daily in a Swinton gym...played for you.
How do Swinton compete with that?
We are a team dragging ourselves back from the brink...We are using the breaks we can use...legally and fairly! Surely fair minded Barrow fans can appreciate that.
Yesterday was there for the taking. Unfortunately Barrow failed to turn up for the first and final quarter

#43 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:30 AM

Mark I hear what you are saying mate. I hate the DR system but its here for the season and you are making use of it fair play. I feel that the Raiders shouldve DR'd with someone this season to help in the bid to stay up..

On the subject of higher contracts with our location the only way we can attract out of town players is to pay more to allow for travelling to training 3 times a week.

We are (usually) poor away from home for some reason ??? The win at Sheffield was a total one off for us and it shouldve been a springboard but looks like its going to turn into one off !!

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#44 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:17 AM

Morty...your half backs had some real skill and dummied us to death you definitely have the basis for a good team

We have plenty of lads signed directly from amateur which is pretty rare at our level and they rarely get a mention from opposition fans.
James Brown was outstanding for us yesterday as was Zach Johnson. DR involving the likes of Paul Wood seems pretty pointless to me when we can pick up better players from those ranks.
Good luck for the rest of the season

#45 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,502 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:07 AM

I felt overall yesterday we were watching too pretty poor teams and in my view unless Barrow and Swinton improve considerably neither will be in the top 9.

Posted Image

#46 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:20 PM

Swinton and others are doing nothing wrong. The rules allow DR and they are using it.
We have "Loan" players that can be called back ( or not play for fear of being cup tied) whenever the parent club insist.
At the moment we choose not to go down the DR route but who's to say that when the new coach arrives he won't want to give it a try?
If that happens I suspect most fans will just shrug and say
"Agh well, if you can't beat 'em.............let's join 'em"
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#47 Furryenzo

Furryenzo
  • Coach
  • 913 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:28 PM

I felt overall yesterday we were watching too pretty poor teams and in my view unless Barrow and Swinton improve considerably neither will be in the top 9.

Have to disagree with you there. I thought in the first half Swinton looked a quality side and Barrow looked a mid-table championship 1 side. However to their credit they came out swinging and almost managed to pull level. All I will say though is that the fast majority of Barrows tries came from inexcusable Swinton errors rather than their own quality. Two tries came from dummys on our own line, which were hardly 'Lee Briers' standard, a try came from one of our many kick off mistakes (not seen us make that many in one game, ever), and the referee giving a very strange decision after we played the ball in our own 20m resulting in a Barrow try. I believe the errors made by Swinton were poor but our general play was of a decent standard.

And in terms of Warrington players, they were the ones that put in the final touch on the tries, but I honestly believe our forwards won us that game along with Watsons smart passing. James Brown, Zac Johnson, Luke Menzies, Mike Morrison were all awesome today and smashed the Barrow forwards up the pitch then it was a case of good scrum half play to create the gaps. None of these players are Warrington players. Ben Currie (as awesome as he was) was only playing because our very own fans favourite Darren Hawkyard was suspended, and we also have a lot of injuries in other positions.

I think mark also makes a lot of valid points about our current position, where we were 6 months ago, and why we are using the DR system. Quite simply we are lucky to even have a team to follow this year. There are plenty of other teams in the league using the system fairly as we do, so a bit less sour grapes please. I have nothing against Barrow what so ever and prefer you to your noisy neighbours but some of these comments are changing my view on that, especially the bloke in the stand yesterday who consistently shouted abuse at Kevin Penny, and how 'terrible' he is, when he is clearly one of the best and easily the fastest winger in the division. 5 years ago at Warrington he couldnt defend at all. Anyone who still thinks that is living in the past, over the last 3 years at Swinton hes been absolutely immense, won us games and not put a foot wrong in defense.

Edited by Furryenzo, 24 March 2014 - 12:30 PM.

Im only smiling because `no-one`'s found the bodies yet.

#48 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:15 PM

Furry ... all Raiders fans arnt that blinkered mate. you will always get the odd few that spout ######.

we know that we are in a dogfight and realise that to survive in this division will take some doing. As I have said I think the DR system is flawed but we have what we have so lets just get on with it. I feel the Raiders need DR for this season to stay up and maybe just maybe the new coach will see it like that as well ???

Good luck for the rest of the season and hopefully we will see you in the Championship next term ??????????

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#49 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,502 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:43 PM

Well said Lee.

Posted Image

#50 Furryenzo

Furryenzo
  • Coach
  • 913 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:54 PM

Furry ... all Raiders fans arnt that blinkered mate. you will always get the odd few that spout ######.

we know that we are in a dogfight and realise that to survive in this division will take some doing. As I have said I think the DR system is flawed but we have what we have so lets just get on with it. I feel the Raiders need DR for this season to stay up and maybe just maybe the new coach will see it like that as well ???

Good luck for the rest of the season and hopefully we will see you in the Championship next term ??????????

Defo Lee, its fans like you why I quite like Barrow, just a shame about the other few. 

It is going to be tough this year, and honestly im not sure if our teams will make it, we will both probably need a bit of luck along the way but regardless all the best for the rest of the season!

p.s. im certainly not a massive fan of the D.R system, but if im going to be honest, I think in the current situation with our previous owners and the mess they left us in we wouldnt be here without it! And I.M.O rugby needs the traditional clubs like Swinton (and Barrow), and if a few of my principles need to be broken for it to be that way (hopefully on a temporary basis) then so be it.

Edited by Furryenzo, 24 March 2014 - 02:58 PM.

Im only smiling because `no-one`'s found the bodies yet.

#51 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,502 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:12 PM

Completely agree Furry. I.ve been following Barrow for over 50 years and sometimes wonder where our game has gone. Great traditional Clubs like Barrow, Swinton, Oldham, Keighley and many others have been sacrificed in the name of 'expansion' and 'Sky'. I think it's all very sad or am I completely old fashioned.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users