Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Robbie Savage- Football and Rugby

The atmosphere

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Vikingstorm

Vikingstorm
  • Coach
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:45 PM

I do enjoy Five live .

Robbie was today describing the difference between Rugby and Football saying that Football was almost tribal in its rivalry and in comparison Rugby was Boring with everyone shaking hands and taking photographs

He could not possibly have been talking about Rugby League which has more passion and rivalry than any sport I know

[QUOTE]“THE enemy should be in no doubt that we are his Nemesis and that we are bringing about his rightful destruction. There are many regional commanders who have stains on their souls and they are stoking the fires of Hell for Saddam. As they die they will know their deeds have brought them to this place. Show them no pity. But those who do not wish to go on that journey, we will not send. As for the others, I expect you to rock their world.

#2 meast

meast
  • Players
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:05 PM

this is the same football where every game in the top flight you see tourists taking photo's of opposition players taking throw ins?

#3 Shipley Ram

Shipley Ram
  • Coach
  • 274 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:12 PM

How the hell has savage got a job on the radio.

RUGBY LEAGUE IS MY RELIGION.
CROWN FLATT IS MY CHURCH.

#4 northamptoncougar

northamptoncougar
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:14 PM

A blonde ##### with no ability managed to work out that he's got to try be controversial every week to keep a job

#5 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,312 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:10 AM

"He's just a skinny Eorl Crabtree!"

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino, 23 March 2014 - 07:11 AM.

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#6 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,285 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:28 AM

He was describing his experience at England Vs. Wales in the Six Nations, and then using that to pronounce on all Rugby.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#7 bluewhite10

bluewhite10
  • Workington
  • 285 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:29 AM

Face for the radio..

bluewhitearmy

#8 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,149 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:20 AM

I do enjoy Five live .

Robbie was today describing the difference between Rugby and Football saying that Football was almost tribal in its rivalry and in comparison Rugby was Boring with everyone shaking hands and taking photographs

He could not possibly have been talking about Rugby League which has more passion and rivalry than any sport I know

I'd say there's a lot more 'rivalry' across soccer than across rugby in terms of what Savage is no doubt thinking of.

And they're welcome to it.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#9 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:26 AM

Sorry but soccer beats rugby league in every aspect of that statement.

#10 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,148 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:10 AM

I do enjoy Five live .

He can never have been to a Fev - Cas game is all I can say

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#11 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,071 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:03 AM

I wish we had a Savage equivalent in our game. On the 606 phone-in, he takes on all-comers and challenges even  the most one-eyed chippie downtrodden  ref-hating soccer fans. Imagine the fun he'd have with Leigh and  Fev fans!!

#12 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:22 PM

I am like a lot of people on here I take an interest in association football through the media Last live game I saw was boxing day 1978 at ER.However I have mates who are passionate football fans and they tell me since the start of the FA prem it has evolved into a pale imitation of what it used to be 30 -40 years ago.They tell me the tv people are trying to manufacture somekind of atmosphere.At O T its all Japanese tourists asking to have their pics taken under one of the Munich clocks.Has any of the soccer watchers on here noticed this?

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#13 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,149 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:50 PM

He can never have been to a Fev - Cas game is all I can say

Do the fans have to be segregated and is there fighting before, during and after the game - along with an alcohol ban, major police presence, road closures etc?

If someone walked down the street in a Fev area wearing a Cas shirt how likely would they be to be stabbed?

- Severus, July 2012

#14 TBC

TBC
  • Coach
  • 752 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:23 PM

Do the fans have to be segregated and is there fighting before, during and after the game - along with an alcohol ban, major police presence, road closures etc?

If someone walked down the street in a Fev area wearing a Cas shirt how likely would they be to be stabbed?

And there we have the differnce.

RL has passion verging on hatred. But realising that sport is a glorious insignificance.

#15 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 547 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:29 PM

Thats not passion and rivalry though, it's any excuse for violence wrapped up in a football scarf!

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#16 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,149 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:29 PM

And there we have the differnce.

RL has passion verging on hatred. But realising that sport is a glorious insignificance.

That's my point.  When someone like Savage is praising rivalry he's praising a culture in which, at professional level, can be much, much darker than anything we have in league.

Edited by gingerjon, 23 March 2014 - 04:30 PM.

- Severus, July 2012

#17 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,149 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:31 PM

Thats not passion and rivalry though, it's any excuse for violence wrapped up in a football scarf!

Indeed.  But it's a part of the world that Savage is praising.

(And I'm not tarring all soccerball fans, incidentally, before anyone suggests I am).

- Severus, July 2012

#18 CiderWire

CiderWire
  • Players
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:52 PM

I am like a lot of people on here I take an interest in association football through the media Last live game I saw was boxing day 1978 at ER.However I have mates who are passionate football fans and they tell me since the start of the FA prem it has evolved into a pale imitation of what it used to be 30 -40 years ago.They tell me the tv people are trying to manufacture somekind of atmosphere.At O T its all Japanese tourists asking to have their pics taken under one of the Munich clocks.Has any of the soccer watchers on here noticed this?

I was a keen follower of MUFC as a yoof (when it cost 10 bob to get in!). The atmosphere at the games was electric and there were plenty of occasions when the noise in the ground was akin to standing next to a Harrier on a full power ground run - your whole body resonated. They were good days.

I last went to watch them play Chelski a couple of years back, with my son, whom I had regailed of the great days when United were sh1t3 but the crowd and atmosphere was a pure adrenalin rush and told him this day would be something to remember all his life. Anyhoo, to say we left that game slightly disappointed with the decibel levels is an understatement! 74,000 people watching a match through the lens of an I-phone!   These are bad days.

A better atmosphere is to be had at an RL ground with 10,000 trully passionate fans any day of the week. Fans who appreciate the efforts of both sets of players!

#19 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 689 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:59 PM

How the hell has savage got a job on the radio.

How the hell did he play top level football for so long,average at best same as Steve Claridge.
And now according to the BBC they are experts

#20 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:30 PM

Is this robbie savage the elite athlete that couldn't make it up that mountain chris moyles and cheryl cole climbed? I think abramovich made it further than him!

I would like to see him actually attend a derby match before making damaging off the cuff statements!

Edited by yipyee, 23 March 2014 - 10:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users