Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Robbie Savage- Football and Rugby

The atmosphere

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Vikingstorm

Vikingstorm
  • Coach
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:38 AM

And there we have the differnce.

RL has passion verging on hatred. But realising that sport is a glorious insignificance.

Here is the Difference....I hate Warrington Fans, but I would die next to them
[QUOTE]“THE enemy should be in no doubt that we are his Nemesis and that we are bringing about his rightful destruction. There are many regional commanders who have stains on their souls and they are stoking the fires of Hell for Saddam. As they die they will know their deeds have brought them to this place. Show them no pity. But those who do not wish to go on that journey, we will not send. As for the others, I expect you to rock their world.

#22 MR51CUK

MR51CUK
  • Players
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:10 AM

In his defence Robbie is a league fan.
He's been to a 6 nations game and compared it to soccer.
His mistake is he called it rugby, no need to slate him for that.

#23 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:06 AM

Not sure how you measure passion, true football has an ugly side, but in my experiences thats very much contained to a minority. 

One noticable difference for me is football fans willingness to put in the leg work to follow there club, played alot of midweek fixtures at the DW this season and its noticeable how many fans make the trip when we'd be finding excuses not to because the M62 is a bit of a bind of similar.

#24 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:43 AM

What the hell does Robbie Savage know about Rugby League or Union, the blokes an over privileged buffoon who stole a career as a footballer and is doing the same as a pundit.

#25 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:27 AM

He was describing his experience at England Vs. Wales in the Six Nations, and then using that to pronounce on all Rugby.

Correct, he and Joey Barton were interviewed at half time at Twickers during the England v  Wales game. He has been on Five Live for many years now as a pundit and is obviously basing his views on his his experiences on RU rather than 'proper' rugby !

#26 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:18 AM

Ah! The ritual but unjustified slating of soccer, soccer fans, soccer players, soccer pundits merely because it is more popular and more successful than our code. Jealous inverted snobbery, pure and simple. 

#27 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:28 PM

Ah! The ritual but unjustified slating of soccer, soccer fans, soccer players, soccer pundits merely because it is more popular and more successful than our code. Jealous inverted snobbery, pure and simple.

Rubbish!

#28 Gerri Monside

Gerri Monside
  • Coach
  • 320 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:55 PM

Later in the same piece, on of his co-commentators / pundits from the 5live stable texted in with something along the lines of "If you think there's more passion in football than rugby you should come to a Hull derby". He may have his eyes openened a little there.
Also think it's important to look at the context of his statement, which came after someone calling for video technology to be used more. This was in the light of Keiran Gibbs mistakenly being sent off in the Arsenal Chelsea game. Savage's point was that the atmosphere at football was "too tribal" and he was actually qquite apologetic for that.
In his defence he's also bigged up RL on occaision. During the RLWC he described YaYa Toure as "steaming through like Same Burgess" - which was nice......

Edited by Gerri Monside, 25 March 2014 - 12:56 PM.

It's an easy kick for the lad but, as we say in Rugby League, there's no easy kicks.

@IanLancaster65

#29 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:06 PM

The OP mentioned his comment comparing Football and the match at Twickenham. We know he's aware of (and very much appreciates) Rugby League, but as a Welshman, his natural instinct would be to call RU 'Rugby'.

And that's all there is to this non-story.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#30 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:31 PM

Rubbish!

I acknowledge your superior expertise in that area. I am still right, of course.  

Edited by JohnM, 25 March 2014 - 01:33 PM.

#31 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:49 PM

I don't do that
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#32 Vikingstorm

Vikingstorm
  • Coach
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:25 PM

I went to a Sale game once and a Herd of Wilderbeast could have passed through the Crowd without anybody noticing.....

[QUOTE]“THE enemy should be in no doubt that we are his Nemesis and that we are bringing about his rightful destruction. There are many regional commanders who have stains on their souls and they are stoking the fires of Hell for Saddam. As they die they will know their deeds have brought them to this place. Show them no pity. But those who do not wish to go on that journey, we will not send. As for the others, I expect you to rock their world.

#33 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,081 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:37 PM

But you have liked a post saying that soccer is more passionate than RL, suggesting you agree with that, so you having that view makes you just as bad as people who take the opposing view doesn't it?

Or is it just if they take an opposing view to you they get criticised?

#34 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:46 PM

I acknowledge your superior expertise in that area. I am still right, of course.

Poppycock !

#35 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:22 PM

Can't say. I haven't seen you with you pants down...yet.

#36 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 789 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:18 PM

John M its time you retired again,you are embarassing yourself again,i remember your resignation speech in 2006 over uncle Mo it was hilarious,give it up pal

#37 Mr Wind Up

Mr Wind Up
  • Coach
  • 184 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:58 AM

Being Welsh, Robbie probably has no animosity towards either code of rugby. Well certainly not union anyway. Hes probably right in that unions general crowd is nothing like football/RL's. Rugby league and football share a similar type of fanbase, borne from the working class roots of both. 

#38 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:24 AM

Being Welsh, Robbie probably has no animosity towards either code of rugby. Well certainly not union anyway. Hes probably right in that unions general crowd is nothing like football/RL's. Rugby league and football share a similar type of fanbase, borne from the working class roots of both. 

Football was actually borne from the upper classes and only later, on the advent of professionalism, did it become a working class sport. Early winners of the FA Cup include Wanderers, Royal Engineers and Oxford University. There was much warring between the strict amateurs and those wishing to expand the game through monitory reward. One club playing in the Scottish Cup final hired a private detective to see if the opposition had breached the strict amateur rules. 

Out of interest, Glasgow Rangers once reached the English FA Cup semi-finals, while Queen's Park was a dominate force to be reckoned with in the FA Cup and pioneers of the 'passing game' ('Combination Game'). 

I have penned a piece on my website looking at the connections between rugby league and football and more to follow. 

Edited by Saint Billinge, 26 March 2014 - 09:16 AM.

#39 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:41 AM

John M its time you retired again,you are embarassing yourself again,i remember your resignation speech in 2006 over uncle Mo it was hilarious,give it up pal

OMEGA wrote: What the hell does Robbie Savage know about Rugby League or Union, the blokes an over privileged buffoon who stole a career as a footballer and is doing the same as a pundit

How best can I put this?   Lets see. Try this. Are you sitting still?  OK. here goes.  OMEGA is talking  complete rubbish. Even if OMEGA had stated this was his opinion,  rather than a bald assertion, he'd still be wrong.