overrated films

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#81 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 814 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:26 AM

If films are low budget, or end up being cult classics, they can't be really overrated. If you don't like Withnail and I, well, it wasn't meant to be loved by critics or mass audiences so no real surprise there.

The implication being that the film is great but the average punter is too unsophisticated to get the brilliance of it.  Or it could just be overrated.

#82 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,977 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:39 AM

Donnie Darko.

There is something very, very wrong with you.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#83 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,740 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:42 AM

I'm surprised that Gravity and 12 Years a Slave haven't been mentioned. The two big films of the year were vastly overrated even though for both the subject content was my sort of thing.

Whilst Gravity was visually spectacular and an interesting idea but it just got ridiculous in parts. Virtually everyone is killed off early on yet she manages to escape a number of similar crises unscathed. I especially hated the end where they tried to nearly drown her once she had returned to Earth.

Darn it!

I was hoping to be the first to mention "Gravity" but I can't say I'm surprised I'm not, just amazed that you're the first.

Like you say, the basis ad idea for a really good film, so how they managed to put together what it ended up as is remarkable.

(There are one or two influential folk on here that reckon to have enjoyed it though so I'll not say too much... :ph34r: )

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#84 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:13 AM

Donnie Darko.

Great film.

No idea what's going on in it!

That's me.  I'm done.

#85 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:27 AM

I'm surprised that Gravity and 12 Years a Slave haven't been mentioned. The two big films of the year were vastly overrated even though for both the subject content was my sort of thing.

Whilst Gravity was visually spectacular and an interesting idea but it just got ridiculous in parts. Virtually everyone is killed off early on yet she manages to escape a number of similar crises unscathed. I especially hated the end where they tried to nearly drown her once she had returned to Earth.

I read the book of 12 Years a Slave and enjoyed it. The film was actually a pretty faithful retelling of the book, however it was just boring and really slow. I actually didn't find it emotional either as they didn't spend much time at all showing his pre-life and missed out probably the most exciting bit where he attempted an escape.

Other than these I'm not a fan of much Hollywood does. The first Hobbit film was pretty much everything I hate in a film, basically mindless and ridiculous CGI sequences that nobody would ever survive.

Taking 12 Years a Slave first.  I thought it was superb.  I thought it was riveting from start to finish.   And the ending actually had me blinking rapidly in the cinema.  One of the best films I've ever seen.  It reminded me of Come and See (a film that everyone should see once, but noone should want to see twice)

To be fair though, I haven't read the book.

Gravity was quite good fun, but had some annoying dialogue.  Looked nice, although I couldn't get over Sandra Bullock being in zero gravity when her hair wasn't!    For zero gravity realism, Apollo 13 rains on Gravity from a great height.

Interesting that you didn't like the drowning scene.   Of all the bits of the film, that was probably the most realistic!   In 1961 Gus Grissom was almost killed when his Mercury capsule landed in the Atlantic and the escape hatch blew open and water started filling his capsule.    He, sadly, was later killed in the Apollo 1 fire.    Well worth reading the excellent The Right Stuff on this (and watching the slightly less good film).  Anyway, I assumed that the drowning scene was all part of some spiritual rebirth thing.  There's some clunky allegorical nonsense going on but the film isn't good enough to carry it off.

I can't bare any Hobbity ####, so haven't seen the Hobbit film.  Doubt I ever will.  The dire LOTR film was plenty for me.

Edited by Steve May, 26 March 2014 - 09:29 AM.

That's me.  I'm done.

#86 Bigal02

Bigal02
  • Coach
  • 117 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:09 PM

Overrated not Worst.

Anyhoo The Untouchables. Hollywoodized until every sap of realistic value was drained from it. De Niro (whilst still great) would have had Oscar written all over it but the director decided to give the vastly overrated actor (another thread) as much screen time as he wanted. Pah.

The Untouchables didn't even get the end right.  Frank Nitti was reported to have shot himself in the head,(twice), and not thrown off a roof by Elliott Ness.

#87 Bigal02

Bigal02
  • Coach
  • 117 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:17 PM

I may be a Philistine but even though I quite like B&W films, I've never managed to get to the end of Citizen Kane or The Third Man

#88 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,166 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:23 PM

I may be a Philistine but even though I quite like B&W films, I've never managed to get to the end of Citizen Kane or The Third Man

Citizen Kane is a long old watch. I enjoyed it, but if I wasn't in the mood, I know I'd have struggled to finish it.

I do love The Third Man, though - the book (which is funnier in places) and the film.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#89 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,703 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:07 PM

Taking 12 Years a Slave first.  I thought it was superb.  I thought it was riveting from start to finish.   And the ending actually had me blinking rapidly in the cinema.  One of the best films I've ever seen.  It reminded me of Come and See (a film that everyone should see once, but noone should want to see twice)

To be fair though, I haven't read the book.

Gravity was quite good fun, but had some annoying dialogue.  Looked nice, although I couldn't get over Sandra Bullock being in zero gravity when her hair wasn't!    For zero gravity realism, Apollo 13 rains on Gravity from a great height.

Interesting that you didn't like the drowning scene.   Of all the bits of the film, that was probably the most realistic!   In 1961 Gus Grissom was almost killed when his Mercury capsule landed in the Atlantic and the escape hatch blew open and water started filling his capsule.    He, sadly, was later killed in the Apollo 1 fire.    Well worth reading the excellent The Right Stuff on this (and watching the slightly less good film).  Anyway, I assumed that the drowning scene was all part of some spiritual rebirth thing.  There's some clunky allegorical nonsense going on but the film isn't good enough to carry it off.

I can't bare any Hobbity ####, so haven't seen the Hobbit film.  Doubt I ever will.  The dire LOTR film was plenty for me.

Like I said 12 Years a Slave was exactly my sort of subject content. It wasn't over played hollywood nonsense and it didn't take liberties with the book. I just found it dull and unemotional in comparison. If Come and See is the one I think it is (A Soviet film from the 1980's?), I found it a bit weird and ended up switching off!

I like films (and stories) that are basically close to real-life, which I think is one of the main reasons I so dislike action films with ridiculous action sequences. Gravity looked visually stunning and the idea was a great one one. It just seemed to be impossible situation after impossible situation and it was the cumilative effect of these that turned me off. The drowning scene, whilst not necessarily implausible on its own, when allied with the other impossible situations just led to a fatigue effect. I'd have preferred it if the whole film had been about her attempt to get home without extra fires, drowning scenes or scenes like the tangled wires which she would have stood a 1 in a million chance of surviving.  It's like overdoing a film like Castaway by adding in a life or death crocodile fight, deadly insect infestation and a scene where he falls and breaks his back.

#90 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,166 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:38 AM

It's like overdoing a film like Castaway by adding in a life or death crocodile fight, deadly insect infestation and a scene where he falls and breaks his back.

Is that the 'Castaway' starring Tom Hanks or the one where Amanda Donohoe spends most of the film naked?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#91 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:43 AM

the one where Amanda Donohoe spends most of the film naked?

Ah, I remember that film.   Absolutely garbage film.  I must have watched it 20 times or so when I was 15!

That's me.  I'm done.

#92 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,977 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:14 PM

Ah, I remember that film.   Absolutely garbage film.  I must have watched it 20 times or so when I was 15!

Yes.

I loved Channel 4 back then.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#93 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,167 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:46 PM

Yes.

I loved Channel 4 back then.

The Red Triangle - conveniently identifying the entirely inappropriate and totally unsuitable movies you had to watch. Public service broadcasting!

LUNEW.jpg

#94 jamresearchgap

jamresearchgap
  • Players
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:07 AM

12 years a slave - the feeling of time passing was non-existent 

#95 Grollo

Grollo
  • Banned
  • 310 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:53 PM

The Untouchables didn't even get the end right.  Frank Nitti was reported to have shot himself in the head,(twice), and not thrown off a roof by Elliott Ness.

Frank Nitti did commit suicide. But that wouldn't make a good story, would it.

What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you.

#96 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:38 PM

The implication being that the film is great but the average punter is too unsophisticated to get the brilliance of it.  Or it could just be overrated.

Overrated by who? The people who like the film? Just because you don't like a film, doesn't mean it's bad.

There are some cult films that I don't like, or "get" at all. Doesn't mean they don't have some value or are enjoyed by some people.

I mainly object to vast amounts being spent on films that have poor plotlines, bad acting, terrible directing, bloated effects and so on. People will probably still watch them, though.

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#97 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:12 AM

So I caught up on some DVDs. I think films either don't age well or I'm a bit fussy over old filmss

Platoon - a bit of a standard war film, ok at under two hours.

Raging Bull - yawn-fest, fight scenes akin to a dodgy western.

Apocalypse Now - oh my god, over 3 hours of a bloke on a boat going to kill Stevo. Dull, dull, dull.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#98 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 814 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:28 AM

Apocalypse Now - oh my god, over 3 hours of a bloke on a boat going to kill Stevo.

Worthy of 3 hours of anyone's time surely?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users