Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

John Bastian

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#41 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:13 AM

blame it on me lads, I backed you at 1/5 to win the game, you had one man to stop, Paul Cooke any fool can see that and yet it seems from reports you let him play in a dinner jacket - incredible! Your missing Finn though big time.

Posted Image

#42 sentoffagain

sentoffagain
  • Twitter
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:44 AM

true  why  someone  didnt  man  mark  cooky  and  make him  have  to  make  plays  under  pressure is  bad  coaching. he  murdered us at  fev  last season .legs  may  have  gone  but  he is  aproper  rugby  player  who  plays  more  as  it  happens  on  instinct.at  the  moment  we  always  seem  to  be  playing  for  three  tackles in  advance  rather  than       straight running backing  up  the ball carrier and playing  what  one  sees  in front  of you i  honestley  think  most  rugby  players  dont really  understand  the  game  they just  performe  likke  animals  in  a  circus probably  why  we  can't  produce  good  half  backs  any  flair  is  coached  out  of  them  at  an early  age  .rant  over .

#43 Mark H

Mark H
  • Players
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:09 AM

You're right it is early days and I agree that JB should be given time,as said previously,winning is not a devine right you have to earn it.The last thing I want to see at Featherstone and RL in general is the fickle nature of the BOD we see in football,as stability is the key at any club,as long as there is an upward trend of improvement with it.
The problem is,not just at Featherstone,will the big money men coming into the game see it that way or will they want instant success for their investment,I suppose only time will tell on that one,lets hope they have the vision to play the long game,but now these people are being attracted to our sport lets embrace them as they are the people we don't want to see drift away.
As for Featherstone,you only have to look at the total number of replies on this forum to see how much Fev fans have to say for themselves.I think we outnumber other clubs by 4/1 on this fantastic platform for debate and I'm sure disappointment is what sparks us up but I'm also sure we will all stand by the club.

Forza Fev

Edited by Mark H, 24 March 2014 - 07:13 AM.

Forza Fev

#44 dydo

dydo
  • Coach
  • 708 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:28 AM

Well said ,agree with Steve Slaters post 100 %

Edited by dydo, 24 March 2014 - 07:31 AM.

#45 Deano44

Deano44
  • Coach
  • 297 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:41 AM

calling for the coaches head after two narrow defeats ?....whilst I am disappointed like everyone else I am realistic enough to realise that this is a much stronger competition than last season, there are bigger rewards for all teams to aim for as well as the so called lesser clubs fight for survival. Every game has real meaning to each and every team. look at keighley who you would usually class as whipping boys, they were 3 seconds away from beating leigh...... batley beat halifax and then lose to rochdale.....barrow going to sheffield and winning......last year would anyone have expected some of these scores ??
dewsbury last year we sneaked it at the death, doncaster beat us at PO road......its not as if its no feasible that these results happen.
I think the fantastic pre-season that we had raised expectations as it did with me, but reality is that every team we play want to have the scalp of rovers and raise their game accordingly. You could see by the reaction of the doncaster players at the final hooter what that win meant to them.

#46 AlanE

AlanE
  • Coach
  • 417 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:25 AM

Don't forget we have lost to Dewsbury (who got thrashed today) and Donny. On this form how the heck can we compete away at Halifax, Sheffield and Leigh? A quick turn around of form ot we are up for a hard time.

Hi James.

Initially, that might have seemed a shock defeat, but Donny seem to be going well this season.

As for worrying how you will compete at Leigh, amongst other places, I wouldn't worry too much! In our last two league games, we have been lucky to win at Keighley, and were highly flattered by the 13 point margin against Crusaders yesterday. (they were in with an excellent chance of a draw until the last two minutes) Maybe your coach should study the video of those two games? What he will see, is a team that is giving away far too much possession, and that has gone back to largely one man rugby, after a very free-flowing start to the season.

I guess the crux of it all, is that standards have improved again, and some of the 'less fancied' teams are going to get amongst the so-called 'favourites.' Looking forward to (hopefully) two more evenly matched games, against you guys!

#47 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,020 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:22 AM

blame it on me lads, I backed you at 1/5 to win the game, you had one man to stop, Paul Cooke any fool can see that and yet it seems from reports you let him play in a dinner jacket - incredible! Your missing Finn though big time

any  fool can see that, you're right. but stopping him is something else. he's spent his whole career being the man to stop. he's had his problems and he doesn't even look like a rugby player, but what he's got between his ears, most players will never have.

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#48 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:53 AM

Hi James.

Initially, that might have seemed a shock defeat, but Donny seem to be going well this season.

As for worrying how you will compete at Leigh, amongst other places, I wouldn't worry too much! In our last two league games, we have been lucky to win at Keighley, and were highly flattered by the 13 point margin against Crusaders yesterday. (they were in with an excellent chance of a draw until the last two minutes) Maybe your coach should study the video of those two games? What he will see, is a team that is giving away far too much possession, and that has gone back to largely one man rugby, after a very free-flowing start to the season.

I guess the crux of it all, is that standards have improved again, and some of the 'less fancied' teams are going to get amongst the so-called 'favourites.' Looking forward to (hopefully) two more evenly matched games, against you guys!

Exactly, this competition get stronger and more evenly matched every year.  We have no divine right to win every game and it shows a massive streak of arrogance to think that we do.

We're 5 games in to a long season and we've lost narrowly to two decent teams, we need to chill out a bit. 

Look at 'fax and Sheffield, not looking too rosy there either.  Leigh have been quite lucky to scrape a win in the last two games too.

#49 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:12 AM

any  fool can see that, you're right. but stopping him is something else. he's spent his whole career being the man to stop. he's had his problems and he doesn't even look like a rugby player, but what he's got between his ears, most players will never have.

that's correct old rover, but surely your coach should have devised a game plan to counteract Cooke, that's what he gets paid for.Its not rocket science to put a man on him and close him down and give him less room to work on.I  actually believe hes still good enough to play SL and looking at Hull,s result y,day I bet they rue the day he left them.

Posted Image

#50 ROVERS FOREVER

ROVERS FOREVER
  • Coach
  • 204 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:40 PM

Jesus christ! We lost 2 games last year playing poor and look what happened! We won the league. It is far too early to be pointing fingers yet. We have to give him this year at least to show us what he is made of. Ok if we arent in top 4 i can understand us been angry. Doncaster played well and baring in mind they are a team who have been together for a while now so the chemistry is going to be better than ours. Need time to gel it doesnt happen over night. Get your Glory supporter heads out of your a**** and support your team through thick and thin.

#51 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:09 PM

A year? Unfortuneatly we havent got that amount of time to give! Too much at stake

As you mentioned dont make the top 2 and that 500k and its a disaster and he wont be here anyway if we dont get there so might not even make a year regardless

Dont win well against swinton and lose in the cup and that might be curtains

Doncaster been together ages? They had dual reg from hull and at least 3 close season signings playing for them yesterday

Edited by elppaxr2i, 24 March 2014 - 01:10 PM.

#52 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,020 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:03 PM

A year? Unfortuneatly we havent got that amount of time to give! Too much at stake

As you mentioned dont make the top 2 and that 500k and its a disaster and he wont be here anyway if we dont get there so might not even make a year regardless

Doncaster been together ages? They had dual reg from hull and at least 3 close season signings playing for them yesterday

so they had s/l players playing for them?

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#53 dydo

dydo
  • Coach
  • 708 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:22 PM

I know Jay pitts and liam kent are still at hull fc with first team experience and played yesterday for donny and ryan wilson was at hull fc when my youngest son was there but i think hes permanantly at donny now

Edited by dydo, 24 March 2014 - 02:30 PM.

#54 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:43 PM

Jay pitts scored one of their tries

#55 saddleworth

saddleworth
  • Coach
  • 220 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:37 PM

true  why  someone  didnt  man  mark  cooky  and  make him  have  to  make  plays  under  pressure is  bad  coaching. he  murdered us at  fev  last season .legs  may  have  gone  but  he is  aproper  rugby  player  who  plays  more  as  it  happens  on  instinct.at  the  moment  we  always  seem  to  be  playing  for  three  tackles in  advance  rather  than       straight running backing  up  the ball carrier and playing  what  one  sees  in front  of you i  honestley  think  most  rugby  players  dont really  understand  the  game  they just  performe  likke  animals  in  a  circus probably  why  we  can't  produce  good  half  backs  any  flair  is  coached  out  of  them  at  an early  age  .rant  over .

I am afraid that you are correct when you state that players perform "like animals". No where is this more pronounced than in soccer. Every team play to a set pattern. No individual flair or skill. "do as you are instructed".. Never forget Sir Matt Busby:s statement." I let em go out on the park to enjoy themselves. They know what to do". As for your comments about Cookie, surely the captain of the day should have selected him out as being a marked man. Simples.

#56 saddleworth

saddleworth
  • Coach
  • 220 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:41 PM

Jesus christ! We lost 2 games last year playing poor and look what happened! We won the league. It is far too early to be pointing fingers yet. We have to give him this year at least to show us what he is made of. Ok if we arent in top 4 i can understand us been angry. Doncaster played well and baring in mind they are a team who have been together for a while now so the chemistry is going to be better than ours. Need time to gel it doesnt happen over night. Get your Glory supporter heads out of your a**** and support your team through thick and thin.

Expect to loose some of them, Rov for Ever, but it is the manner in which we loose that is the rub.

#57 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,820 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:27 PM

Its not the fact we have lost 2 games thats the problem its all the other stuff im hearing that bothers me, Players dont like / respect him and the worst thing is they dont believe in what hes telling them to do on the field. . I know 1 of the Donny assistants They knew exactly how we would play, worked on a game to combat it, When our game was thwarted we were clueless. Prima-donners some of our players were described as. We have 3 times there playing budget, full time conditioner, Stats man, 1/2 million pound centre of excellence, full time coach, most of our players are on 3 times the money there players are on. Yet we were out coached, out enthused, by a team that looked better drilled, fitter and better coached. I feel for Mark Cambell and the board they have given this regime all they have asked for. paul Cooke played well but dont fall into the trap of thinking he was the difference alone, it was an embarrasing, shambolic performance and for the 1st time for a long time i feel like i dont want to sit through the game this Sunday. Having said all this i applaud our board for giving a young English novice coach a chance in this vital season, other clubs would of either gone for an Aussie or one of the English coach's from the Championship coach merry go round, if it hasnt worked, it hasnt worked no shame just move on

#58 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:50 AM

Answers when we finish third or forth with no 500k what will happen then ????

Feisal will need to stump up an extra £400k.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#59 sentoffagain

sentoffagain
  • Twitter
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:25 AM

proper  cash  or  just  paper  shares  against  the  assets  of  our  club.i  thought  the  idea of  bringing  in  john bastian  was  tocreate  a  passage  for  the  best  young  amatuer  talent  in  the  area  to  progress  to  first  team  level.this  will  take  at  least  three to  four  years  to  impliment.better  to  go  down  this  route  than  bring  in  fringe  super  league  players  other  teams  dont   want.if  kids  want  to  play  proffesional  rugby  league  they  should  be  able  to play  in  the  championship  youth  is  the  key  to  the  future.

#60 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:20 PM

Poor Man

He will be the greatest thing since sliced bread come next week !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users