Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

DR K and Lenigan Interviews on Radio Manchester Now

Could be controvertial

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:23 PM

About to be played on Radio Manchester interviews with 2 outspoken chairmen having a go at the RFL.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#2 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:55 PM

Ralph Rimmer now on live phoning in to reply on behalf of the RFL.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#3 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,110 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:00 PM

Any chance of someone doing a nice summary of the main points?!

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#4 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:20 PM

Dr. K says game hasn't moved on in 10 years, need to change the people at the top to get fresh ideas and a better direction for the sport.

IL said that committing to an 8 year TV deal in this current media climate, especially when you only see the benefits in 3-4 years is silly.

#5 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,720 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:39 PM

Those who listened will have heard my text argument with Jack and Phil Kinsella, but I really didn't think Koukash said a great deal at all beyond 'change is needed, I want more money in the game'. Well we all do, but I'm not hearing much about how we do. Lenegan landed a full house on Koukash Bingo: we need more like him in the game, he's shaken things up and is a breath of fresh air.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#6 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:28 PM

I think many agree changes need to happen at the top. But who exactly does Dr Koukash etc want to put in to replace the likes of Wood and Rimmer? And a number of problems within the game are due to the people who run the clubs thinking short term and make the votes. That is something that Dr Koukash doesnt seem to have understood yet. The clubs have a lot of power and are as much to blame as the people Koukash wants out

#7 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:33 PM

I think many agree changes need to happen at the top. But who exactly does Dr Koukash etc want to put in to replace the likes of Wood and Rimmer? And a number of problems within the game are due to the people who run the clubs thinking short term and make the votes. That is something that Dr Koukash doesnt seem to have understood yet. The clubs have a lot of power and are as much to blame as the people Koukash wants out

But on the TV deal the chairmen were only given 2 hours by Woods to consider the deal. He was forcing their hand.

Woods knew that clubs with poor finances would just say yes, with no consideration for the game as a whole.

Also they were asked individually and not allowed to get together to discuss it.

Lenigan said also that the new structure would actually mean Wigan made more money but he was still dead set against it.

Edited by Padge, 23 March 2014 - 07:37 PM.

#8 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:36 PM

Don't forget that Dr K has just had to fork out a grand in fines because Nigel Wood won't tolerate people expressing an opinion contrary to the corporate speil, especially if an f bomb is dropped into the mix.  So I would imagine we won't be hearing/reading anymore interesting stuff from Dr K.  He's certainly been very quiet on Twitter since his fine.

What a shame.  I think he's been great news for rugby league.

#9 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,156 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:47 PM

Lenigan said also that the new structure would actually mean Wigan made more money but he was still dead set against it.

In terms of the new structure and the first KPMG "Jeopardy" series of relegation battles to see which two go down, before this weekends games Wakey, HKR and Les Cats had amassed 5 competition points between them. Time for the fans to rally to three "meaningful games"

HKR a four pointer and Wakey and the other "Cats" home games, to perhaps snatch a valuable win?

All three games attendances down on last years. Total to date from 14 "jeopardy" matches this year, are averaging 5383. Last year they averaged 6418.

I think KPMG/RFL should be told....

Edited by The Parksider, 23 March 2014 - 08:48 PM.

#10 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:20 PM

In terms of the new structure and the first KPMG "Jeopardy" series of relegation battles to see which two go down, before this weekends games Wakey, HKR and Les Cats had amassed 5 competition points between them. Time for the fans to rally to three "meaningful games"

HKR a four pointer and Wakey and the other "Cats" home games, to perhaps snatch a valuable win?

All three games attendances down on last years. Total to date from 14 "jeopardy" matches this year, are averaging 5383. Last year they averaged 6418.

Interesting stats.

#11 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:46 PM

What kind of crazy fixture planning had FC and KR at home on the same day.

The same goes for Haven and Town Are they deliberately trying to drive attendances down.

Decent attendance at Doncaster though for a top of the table clash given the poor attendances at the Keepmote last year.

#12 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:02 PM

What kind of crazy fixture planning had FC and KR at home on the same day.

The same goes for Haven and Town Are they deliberately trying to drive attendances down.

Decent attendance at Doncaster though for a top of the table clash given the poor attendances at the Keepmote last year.

We ar constantly told black and white will never watch red and white and vice verse, so it doesn't matter.

Equally all the Wakefield MBC teams could play on the same day and it won't affect any attendance by one.

Unless someone is telling lies.

#13 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:14 PM

But on the TV deal the chairmen were only given 2 hours by Woods to consider the deal. He was forcing their hand.

Woods knew that clubs with poor finances would just say yes, with no consideration for the game as a whole.

Also they were asked individually and not allowed to get together to discuss it.

this two hour to make your mind up is rubbish, clubs have had week to decide if they wanted the deal or not.

#14 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:16 PM

this two hour to make your mind up is rubbish, clubs have had week to decide if they wanted the deal or not.

That's not what has been quoted.

I'll bow if you find different quotes.

#15 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:31 PM

We ar constantly told black and white will never watch red and white and vice verse, so it doesn't matter.

Equally all the Wakefield MBC teams could play on the same day and it won't affect any attendance by one.

Unless someone is telling lies.

I can only speak for myself but if I lived in Hull or West Cumbria or Calderdale and my team of choice was at a venue far away and my finances or other factors prevented me from travelling, I would go to one of these neighbouring games and so contribute to the attendance. I would do the same thing as regards Wigan and Leigh also.

#16 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:39 PM

I can only speak for myself but if I lived in Hull or West Cumbria or Calderdale and my team of choice was at a venue far away and my finances or other factors prevented me from travelling, I would go to one of these neighbouring games and so contribute to the attendance. I would do the same thing as regards Wigan and Leigh also.

But that is not we are told.

So as Keighley supporter if your closest home game was Bradford you would go and watch Bradford?

#17 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:08 PM

But that is not we are told.

So as Keighley supporter if your closest home game was Bradford you would go and watch Bradford?

Only this season to watch them crash and burn. The situation for me here is different as I am of the opinion that the Bulls actively colluded to deny Keighley a SL place at the birth of SL and almost destroyed the Keighley club in the process. Some wounds are just too deep.

I did though, at one point, live in Thorne and was a Dons supporter. If they were in Cumbria of deepest Lancashire, I would take myself off to Cas if they were at home.

I do have knowledge though of a group of friends who lived in Bingley, roughly equi distant from Keighley and Bradford who split their time between the two clubs as the two were rarely both home at the same time.

I have a cousin who lived in Cutsyke who used to split his games between Fev and Cas.

#18 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:29 PM

Was the cutting of the U20s voted for by the clubs? Was the poor management that saw difficulties at Wakefield, Halifax, Bradford, London, Castleford, Salford, Swinton, Widnes Keighley etc since 2000 the fault of the RFL? I am far from a fan of the RFL especially Wood and Rimmer but many of the problems within the game are the fault or result of the clubs, who often have voted for things thinking of only short term and themselves. Its OK people saying get rid of Wood, Rimmer etc at the RFL. But the clubs will still have the power to vote things through and keep making dumb decisions. The RFL needs a change with fresh ideas as the good Doctor says. But you need to change the system as much as the people for me. You cant just point the finger of blame at the RFL and certain people. For me the clubs and how they have so much power is as much to blame for the way things are. The clubs have lied and wasted millions of pounds from Sky. The clubs were happy to bring in licences and have voted to keep changing things with help from the RFL. As said I would love to see the back of certain people at the RFL but why do you replace them with and will it really change much when the clubs have so much power?

#19 sentoffagain

sentoffagain
  • Twitter
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:53 PM

come  back  maurice  all  is  forgiven.  only  jokeing.

#20 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:30 AM

come  back  maurice  all  is  forgiven.  only  jokeing.

I should bloody well hope so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users