Jump to content

Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express


- - - - -

Tigers' Unbeaten Start Halted By Red Devils

  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Tigers News

Tigers News
  • Coach
  • 413 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:39 PM


Castleford Tigers suffered their first defeat of the First Utility Super League season after a narrow 23-16 loss to Salford Red Devils at the AJ Bell Stadium on Sunday.

It was a tight, scrappy game for large parts of the afternoon, but a second half brace from Andrew Dixon meant the home side just came out on top to pick up their first victory in three matches.

Salford started the brighter of the two sides, and Martin Gleeson's early try was added to by Greg Johnson inside the opening 20 minutes to make it 10-0 to the hosts.

Castleford then started to grow into the game and Justin Carney pulled a try back for the Tigers. Marc Sneyd showed good pace on the left before finding Shenton, who offloaded brilliantly to gift the winger his fifth try of the campaign.

Daryl Powell's side probed thereafter with Shenton and fellow centre Jake Webster making breaks, but both couldn't quite find the keys to draw Castleford level.

However, it was Salford who scored minutes into the second half after the home side regained the ball from kick-off, with Chase feeding another good ball to Dixon, who stumbled over the whitewash.

Both sides continued to make mistakes, but the game turned in Salford's favour on the hour mark. Referee James Child sinbinned Adam Milner for impeding a Salford player as the Red Devils approached the try line, and seconds later Dixon exploited the space to score his second of the game.

Milner's yellow card saw Daryl Clark re-join the action though and his explosive, alert run set him free, before Weller Hauraki crashed over to put just two tries between the teams.

The Tigers were seemingly back to their best at last, and with ten minutes remaining, Luke Dorn scored a try from the halfway line and it was Salford who were looking like they had a man disadvantage, not Castleford.

Further chances came and went, but Powell's men ran out of steam. Chase eventually had the last say against his former employers, scoring a drop-goal to put daylight between both sides, and inflict the Tigers with their first loss since 2013.

The Tigers' are back in action on Thursday evening with a visit to London Broncos. Tickets are available from the club shop in Carlton Lanes, by calling 01977 555 336 or online here

CASTLEFORD TRIES: Carney, Hauraki, Dorn


SALFORD TRIES: Gleeson, Johnson, Dixon (2)

SALFORD GOALS: Mullaney (3)


Castleford: Dorn, Owen, Channing, Shenton, Carney, Sneyd, Finn, Lynch, Clark, Huby, Holmes, Hauraki, Millington SUBS: Webster, Milner, Massey, Mariano

Salford: Mullaney, Johnson, Gleeson, Sa'u, Meli, Chase, Smith, Morley, Lee, Tasi, Hansen, Dixon, Puletua SUBS: Fages, A.Walne, J.Walne, McPherson

Referee: James Child

Attendance: 5,823 

View the full article

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users