Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Storm v Newcastle - R3 Game - Alex McKinnon Injury News & Discussion ... follow link

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,845 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:57 PM

Newcastle makes the trip south winless and without its playmakers in Jarrod Mullen and Darrius Boyd (hamstrings) – making the Novocastrians even more reliant on their experienced forward rotation.

Willie Mason, Kade Snowden, Beau Scott and Jeremy Smith will carry much of the workload at AAMI Park as coach Wayne Bennett looks for the quartet to lead the way with their combined 719 games of NRL experience.

However they will face a stern test against a Melbourne forward pack that has impressed in the opening two rounds, led by Jesse Bromwich who has averaged 131 metres and 23 tackles a game this season.

Are Newcastle a good side that's been a bit unlucky in Rounds 1 and 2, or will they struggle against Storm who'll have the home fans with them, including Bourbon Rat?

If our experience of the 2014 games so far is anything to go by then it's not a case of who goes into this game as favourites, it's more who turns up on the day and hits there straps.

On paper Storm will start favourites.

Storm though will want revenge for hteir defeat in the semi-finals last season at the Novocastrians hands.

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#2 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:37 PM

http://www.melbourne...ia_bellamy.html Interesting rumours coming out of Newcastle- Owner being voted out, players and staff owed money etc, A few players missing from injury etc. I expect the Knights to be tough as ever and give the Storm a good physical game and look to use the backs against the Storms inexperienced players. Hopefully the Storm will run out winners and hopefully by a few more points as the first two games!!

#3 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 595 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:29 AM

Great game ! both teams wat it bad , some brilliant defence.

#4 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,845 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:02 AM

Nasty injury just before half time.

Of all foul play that lifting and forcing down is probably the most dangerous.

Hope the guy is OK - it was very worrying to see him down like that..

#5 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,845 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:10 AM

2nd half started - back to the TV.

#6 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 595 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:40 AM

The game was ruined a bit for me by the horror accidental injury to Mckinnon.

Cameron Smith lobbying the Reffs to not be penalised for that tackle was completely removed from the gravity of the situation. It's disingenuine to use a ' I don't want to see that happen to players ' as an opening line.

Still I admire Smith as a footballer , I just think he should have kept his mouth shut.

#7 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 595 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:53 AM

Very good win for Melbourne.

The big three are still the best combination in the Game. I can't see anyone challenging them for some time to come.

Must be amazing being a storm supporter.

#8 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,845 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:56 AM

Another good result for Storm although they haven't consistently hit their straps yet.

Good to see Cooper Cronk fit and at his best.

Cam Smith steadied the ship well today.

Congratulations Young on your first NRL try..

#9 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,845 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:01 AM

I hope Alex McKinnon isn't too badly injured. His contact with the ground did look horrific as you say Mt Smart.
Last we heard he was stretchered and on his way to hospital in Melbourne. The commentator refused to speculate on his injury waiting for an official announcement from Knights if and when it comes.

Edited by G Las D, 24 March 2014 - 10:46 AM.

#10 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,845 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:05 AM

As a Storm fan it's just good to get three wins from three outings. Bellyache won't be happy though.
The defense wants some work on it.
All the same it's the mark of a good team when you are not 100% but still win.
How good would was Young Tonumaipea's effort to almost score a second try in that corner... but for that hand just in touch!

#11 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,845 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:11 PM

Hope you enjoyed the game Bourbon Rat.

You'll have been concerned for Alex McKinnon's well being. Is there any more news?

Anything else memorable or funny about your AAMI Park adventure?

#12 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,436 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:11 PM

As a Storm fan its brilliant as we keep getting written off but Bellamy somehow brings in some player nobody wants like Rose or some unknown Bromwich Brothers and gets the best out of them. Each year he does it and while the big 3 get the headlines if it wasnt for the hard work the lesser players do then The Storm would not be so successful. Bellamy has built a culture where you work hard and you are part of a family and give everything for that family. Each member of the Coaching  Staff is encouraged to spend time with another club in another sport in the off season. You can see the influence of AFL with Billy slater and the wingers and Cronks kicking skills. Bellamy has spent time with Man United, red Bull, Miami Heat, Denver Broncos etc watching how they do things like player meeting and training and recovery. The success of Melbourne Storm is no fluke but down to real hard work of everybody and how they have bought into the culture of the Storm.

I am lucky a mate of mine is assistant to Bellamy and I spent a few hours with him while he was coaching the U20s and Fringe players last year and he showed me around AAMI Park. The facilities are top notch with swimming pool next to Ice baths and Pressurized weight room so they can change the air pressure so you are like 4000 metrs or something in the air. The video room where each player can look at his personal match review/preview is very impressive. Certainly way above the facilities that Leeds Rhinos have and I have seen also. AAMI for me is perfect for Rugby League as you are close to the action and good atmosphere without being lost like in Sydney. 

#13 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:14 PM

looked really bad that. Just watched it with my little lad and had to forward through that bit. Explaining bust noses is one thing but that looked awful. Really hope he's ok. Soured what was a great game

#14 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,845 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:23 PM

I am lucky a mate of mine is assistant to Bellamy and I spent a few hours with him while he was coaching the U20s and Fringe players last year and he showed me around AAMI Park. The facilities are top notch with swimming pool next to Ice baths and Pressurized weight room so they can change the air pressure so you are like 4000 metrs or something in the air. The video room where each player can look at his personal match review/preview is very impressive. Certainly way above the facilities that Leeds Rhinos have and I have seen also. AAMI for me is perfect for Rugby League as you are close to the action and good atmosphere without being lost like in Sydney.

AAMI Park looks fantastic on TV. Via the internet and Bourbon Rat I was able to follow its building progress online.
I know Rhinos is a top class profession club with a highly professional backroom and admin staff. Your comments on Storm's professionalism and facilities then are impressive.
Bellamy's system have worked year after year. We see forwards come and go and while nobody is an exact match for somebody else, it's testament to Storm that changes in personnel are hardly noticed.
It's not just forwards either
Widdop was developed at Storm, as he leaves another promising stand-off is brought through and given his chance - with support and advice from the best.
Likewise centres and wingers ...

#15 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:32 PM

Scans confirm Alex McKinnon has a fracture at C4 & C5. His spinal cord is not severed; doctors unsure about level of spinal cord compromise.

#16 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,845 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:47 AM

The news on Alex does give great cause for concern.

The injury is described as severe.

This is extremely distressing and my thoughts are with Alex, his family and friends at this time

#17 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:26 AM

Monday night was a tough contest with little given by either side.

Not many Knights fans in the corner next to the rat pack,but quite vocal.

The injury suffered by Alex McKinnon took the gloss off.

I like every other RL fan wishes him & full recovery.

It seems the NRL is waiting to set a date for Jordan Mcleans hearing

http://www.melbourne... ... erral.html

Their aim being to give Alex & his family space & privacy ?

Judging by some of the rabid comments coming out on 'social media' aimed at Jordan

A referral may be what's needed to see the tackle more clearly.

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite

and furthermore always carry a small snake - W C Fields

#18 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 727 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:36 AM

Still I admire Smith as a footballer , I just think he should have kept his mouth shut.

Absolutely agree. How many times did the ref have to tell him to wait until the injured player was dealt with until they'd talk about it further, but Smith wouldn't drop it. Very poor conduct I thought.

Good game apart from that, awful discipline by the Knights though.
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#19 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,845 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

On Monday night scan results for Alex McKinnon confirmed a dislocation at C4 and C5.

McKinnon had emergency surgery early on Tuesday morning to stabilise his neck, which consisted of a disc removal at C4 and C5 and anterior fusion.

Alex had additional scans on Tuesday afternoon, which confirmed a devastating spinal injury.

Alex remains in hospital in intensive care and may require further surgery to stabilise his spine.

He has movement in his right arm and the uncertainty remains in regeneration, with a variable prognosis.

The doctors explained regeneration and recovery could be up to two years.

Family and Club officials remain with Alex in hospital. The Club requests Alex and his family's privacy is respected at this time.

#20 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 548 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:13 PM

I've just got around to watching this game.

I agree with Brandy Alexander's assessment that McKinnon tucked his head in believing he was being spun over further than he actually was.  I don't believe there was any deliberate intent to hurt the player by any of Storm guys, although it was an illegal tackle.

My fingers are crossed that the diagnosis is positive for Alex in the next few days/weeks.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users