League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Storm v Newcastle - R3 Game - Alex McKinnon Injury News & Discussion ... follow link

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 358 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:23 PM

What was the attendance,there looked to be a lot more empty seats than normal on TV.AAMI park does look like a great stadium,what is the capacity ?

#22 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 707 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:45 PM

Horrific injury for the lad, he seemed to be struggling to breath whilst lying prone on the floor.
Hope he makes a full and speedy recovery

#23 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:09 AM

Davo5

Aami Pk was designed to seat 25 thousand but the A league had a dummy spit about needing 32 thou to qualify for 'world games' ?

This of course means the seats are a tad squashy when there's a large crowd,(mainly Warriors,Manly, Broncos games & finals)

Here's the 'official' seating plan for Storm games,(the seating changes for finals/internationals as the NRL has control)

The east side has the corporate dining/drinking areas up top,so the telecast cameras are set up on the west side,which is usually fuller than the east ? My group are all old style terrace rats,so we're down on the wall either side of ailse 37.You'll notice the section allocated for 'away fans' is next to us :tongue:

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite

and furthermore always carry a small snake - W C Fields

#24 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,868 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:39 AM

BourbonRatAamiPark_zps2c8163e5.jpg

That about right BR?

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#25 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,868 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:43 AM

I see NRL have stood Jordan Maclean down from this weekend's game as he's awaiting the outcome of his judiciary hearing and isn't therefore able to play.

This is complicated by the delay to his hearing out of consideration for Alex M and his family I expect.

#26 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,868 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:23 AM

Steve Mortimer reckons  terrible accidents such as Alex's could be avoided by a rule change.

What he has suggested is pretty dramatic:

Scrap the 10 metre rule - Click Here

Such a tragic accident has shocked the RL community to the core.

Thankfully such serious accidents are relatively rare.

Is this proposal over reaction?

The more news of Alex that comes out, the more upsetting it gets - he's in intensive care in an induced coma following his operation.

#27 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

Steve Mortimer reckons  terrible accidents such as Alex's could be avoided by a rule change.

What he has suggested is pretty dramatic:

Scrap the 10 metre rule - Click Here

Such a tragic accident has shocked the RL community to the core.

Thankfully such serious accidents are relatively rare.

Is this proposal over reaction?

The more news of Alex that comes out, the more upsetting it gets - he's in intensive care in an induced coma following his operation.

There's a thread on the main forum about the call for a change to the 10 metre rule.

Roy Masters seems to think the rule against the cannonball tackle led to the injury.......................

http://www.smh.com.a...0325-hvmkn.html

#28 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,868 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:49 PM

Nobody can accuse the NRL of being complacent. If anything some complain that they change the rules too often.

Two good reasons to change rules:

- to help prevent injury any more than is possible in a full body contact sport

- to try to improve the game for either players or the viewing public.

I've looked at what Ray Masters has said.

I can follow his line of thought but am not fully convinced by his argument

It's a tough, risky sport, nobody denies that.

What happened to Alex was a tragic accident which does make me reflect our game, its methods and objectives in today's highly competitive and pressured set up..

Roy Masters, as I understand it, is steeped in our game having himself been in coaching.

When the dust has settled and hopefully we have some kind of positive news of Alex there should always be room to listen to the voices of reason when trying to make RL as safe as is possible, certainly taking on board analysis of injuries and the effects of rules, especially new rules, when it is clear what their effect has been.

Yes, taking one course can have unexpected consequences.

IMO the cannonball rule Masters refers to is one that was right to be brought in.

There are other rules that try to protect players from landing on their head/neck.

Whatever rules there are can't completely rule out serious injury due to accident when there's a field full of powerfully strong blokes playing head to head.

To somehow condone the cannonball tackle as perhaps the lesser of two evils doesn't help or move our game forward.

To be sure I'd be in favour of any rule that lessened the risk of injury, especially serious ones.

Any serious and well reasoned idea anyone of experience and understanding of our game brings to the managers and rule-makers of RL must be heard at the highest level.

#29 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,868 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:18 PM

It has been  ruled that Jordan McLean can play ahead of a judiciary hearing into the tackle that injured Alex McKinnon.

#30 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,868 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:04 PM

Newcastle as a community has a big heart and it has seen an outpouring of emotion and support for Alex, still in an induced coma in a Melbourne hospital.

Our thoughts are with Alex and his family - here's the response to the tragic accident in Newcastle.

561308-f14cec00-b6f2-11e3-9580-78f49dffd

#31 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:35 AM

Some news on Twitter to say that Alex McKinnon will be quadraplegic.  That isn't necessarily the final word as I've heard of other cases when doctors have given such prognosis and the person has gone on to regain movement in limbs but how devastating that news must be to Alex and his family.  All because of one tackle.

Edited by Saintslass, 31 March 2014 - 08:36 AM.

#32 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,868 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:48 AM

Some news on Twitter to say that Alex McKinnon will be quadraplegic.  That isn't necessarily the final word as I've heard of other cases when doctors have given such prognosis and the person has gone on to regain movement in limbs but how devastating that news must be to Alex and his family.  All because of one tackle.

Oh no, that's so sad if true.

I hope it's not.

Let's hope the official news when it comes eventually  is towards the more positive aspect of your post Saintslass

#33 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:08 AM

hmm ? Now the news service that dropped that,(Channel 9) are backpedalling

"Unconfirmed report that Alex McKinnon Could become a quadraplegic"

Considering the serious nature what they had in their previous rush to post :fie:

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite

and furthermore always carry a small snake - W C Fields

#34 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,868 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:31 AM

The show that follows the Titans game in Oz will be covering what seems like sad news regarding Alex's future.
They've just trailed the programme without giving the details.

#35 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,868 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:36 AM

Telegraph.au does use the paraplegic word.

(edit: factually incorrect - used word quadriplegic)

Edited by G Las D, 01 April 2014 - 08:19 AM.
to correct the post

#36 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,305 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:06 AM

Telegraph.au does use the paraplegic word.

At that level he will be quadriplegic. The Telegraph have used the wrong term.

Posted Image

#37 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,868 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:33 AM

No Gav, it was me who made the error.. Now I check back I see they did use the word quadriplegic.

My apologies.

Edited by G Las D, 31 March 2014 - 10:34 AM.

#38 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,305 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:56 AM

No problem. Absolutely devastated for the lad. He will get through this though.

Posted Image

#39 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,868 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:15 AM

That is a truly inspiring blog Gav.

Can I ask everyone on here to make sure you read it.

#40 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,445 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:13 PM

Gutted for the lad and his family but also the Storm players involved as they in my opinion will be gutted as well. But life changes rather than it being over and am sure people with more knowledge will confirm that.  But I am also sure the League community will do its best for Alex and his family both short, medium and long term. You see many similar tackles and no injury. Alex seemed to have his head in the wrong place thats all rather than it being a dangerous tackle. Rugby League is a tough physical sport that 99.9% of the time is a safe sport. But due to the way it is, the small 0.1% will see players seriously hurt. I personally dont think any rule changes are needed and want the media often headed by Ex League players like Matty Johns, Matt Geyer etc to keep out of it and stop creating hysteria like they did recently with the head damage scenario. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users