Photo
- - - - -

Storm v Newcastle - R3 Game - Alex McKinnon Injury News & Discussion ... follow link

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,042 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:16 AM

Please read Gav's blog here or above in Gav's post:

C  L  I  C  K   T O  G  A  V  '  S   B  L  O  G

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#42 kiwityke

kiwityke
  • Coach
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:35 PM

Let's hope that NRL will make the best decision on rule changes.

Hopefully too this is the last we will hear from the "Bring back the Biff" Brigade

#43 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,865 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:16 AM

Gav's blog is a cracker, well worth putting on the main forum as few will see it on here.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#44 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:05 AM

7 game ban for McLean.

In my mind this seems harsh compared with the bans imposed for previous similar incidents. I understand the outcome is tragically different but there have been worse tackles than that before.

I will be happy if this is the start of much tougher punishments for lifting tackles in general, I can agree with it then, but if the next one doesn't get a similar ban then to me its wrong.

#45 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,581 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:15 AM

Very poor decision and I presume we will see a load of people now getting 7 match bans, because I saw a number of similar tackles across various games the past 2 weeks. The Decision is based on injury and fear of the media instead of what actually happened. Its a accident gone wrong and I am afraid Alex Mckinnon has a large part to play in his injury rather than Mclean or the Bromwich Brothers. I am all for punishing dangerous tackles and preventing injury. But I fail to understand this decision and how they can justify saying its worth 7 match ban. The NRL have made a right mess of this and made Mclean a Scapegoat. The NRL at the moment are pushing fans away with decisions and how its running things. And this decision has been rightly criticized by many people. 

#46 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 507 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:27 AM

It was a tragic accident,but 7 matches for the kid,no way,I am sure McLean was in bits before this decision,Christ knows how he feels now.There has been worse lifting tackles in nearly every NRL match I've watched this season that have gone unpunished,If there is any consistency a lot of players are gonna be sitting out large chunks of the remaining season from now on.

#47 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:35 AM

There have been far far worse lifting tackles with much less severe punishments. They have graded this on the injury and not the tackle which is wrong in my eyes. Like I said, if they want to eradicate it then as long as all tackles like this get 7 weeks then fine, but Id be surprised if that's the case.

#48 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:00 PM

The NRL were on a hiding to nothing.

It's a terrible tragedy for all concerned.

The NRL were faced with a choice of applying standard practice ( which would have seen a light penalty or no penalty ) or protecting the image of the game.

For every reaonable argument that it was a common place tackle that lead to the tradgedy , there are parents who have kids playing Rugby league and financial backers who demand the NRL take a strong line versus the accepted past practice of judging an incident in isolation of the injuries sustained.

The potential damage to the sports profile is a real variable in weighing up whether a ' fair and reasonable outcome for the player ' is bigger than the game itself.

It was a one in four hundred game type freak occurance.

Will the NRL change the way the game is officiated ? Will they review the role of wrestling in the sport ? 

Count on it.

The Punching has been removed from the game , the Cannon tackling outlawed........three man Lifts will go. 

Edited by mt smart, 02 April 2014 - 02:18 PM.

#49 Jbb10

Jbb10
  • Players
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:06 PM

Ban lifting all together

#50 kiwityke

kiwityke
  • Coach
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:26 AM

How about a ban on the "trainers" who introduce the dubious practices, e.g. Chicken wing, Crusher, spear, cannon?

#51 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:12 AM

The Newcastle Knights view

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite

and furthermore always carry a small snake - W C Fields

#52 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 718 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:56 AM

FWIW, I don't think the Melbourne players did much wrong, this type of tackle happens every game without criticism.

My view is that McKinnon seemed to tuck his head the wrong way on going to ground, which I think worsened the situation greatly - I don't know if this was due to coaching or just instinct that made him move his head to the left.

Either way it's just an awful tragedy and I feel so sorry for him, and wish him all the best and the best recovery possible.

#53 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,042 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:04 AM

McLean was slugged with a seven-match suspension for the incident but the NRL revealed on Thursday the tackle was a grade two dangerous throw which carries 325 demerit points - a three-week ban.

A further 400 points were allocated after consideration by the panel on a range of factors including the injury suffered by McKinnon.

So that makes it clear that the judiciary judges not only on the offence but on the outcome.

The same tackle could have meant a much lesser penalty if the player on the receiving end had just been able to get up and carry on - yet the action of the offense is the same.

So when fans look for and ask for consistency from refs we will have to factor in this variable.

Presumably then the same goes for the shoulder charge and the cannonball tackle - not so serious if the victim gets up and carries on, whatever the intention or action of the offender.

#54 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,042 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:54 AM

Alex's life goes on.

He's been transferred out of Melbourne hospital

ALEX McKinnon has been moved to a Sydney hospital from Melbourne a day after announcing his engagement to long-term partner Teigan Power.

The Newcastle Knights released a statement on the transfer on Tuesday afternoon.

McKinnon has been in the Alfred Hospital in Melbourne since fracturing his C4 and C5 vertebrae in a tackle against the Melbourne Storm two weeks ago.

News of the transfer comes the day after McKinnon announced his engagement to his long-term partner Teigan Power — and vowed to walk her down the aisle.

The young backrower has captured the hearts and minds of the entire rugby league community as he recovers from the devastating neck injuries.

From his hospital bed, McKinnon took to social media to share a photo of himself and his partner with an accompanying message saying the couple are engaged.

Words and a picture can be found here - click

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users