Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Another Win But...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,442 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:01 AM

Not a great day due to the amount of injuries picked up, like the walking wounded in the 2nd half, off top of me head Micky Haley, Thomas Coyle, Andy Ballard, Stu Kain, John Oakes,Lee Maples and Dave March all picked up some sort of injury and from a half time dominance 34-0 we actually lost the 2nd half 14-20 due to 2 late Oxford tries who were far better than last week. The most important man in the Club this week will be Ryan Carmody the physio as he attempts to sort out the injuries before the Skolars game next sunday.Plus points today a very solid 1st half with Watson and Maples looking sharp on their side and Grimmer getting back to his best, Ballard again kicking goals off the touchline and 2 good tries before going off at half time. The 2nd half was a hard slog but good tries from Maples and an 8 pointer from Marchy - the 1st ive seen given in a long time sealed a decent win. The set up and ground at Oxford is 1st class with a great surface and 2 very picturesque stands with a marvellous clubhouse and good luck to them.

Posted Image

#2 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 874 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:10 AM

In many ways a similar sort of game to last week, Oxford slow out of the blocks and looking out of their depth in the first half before turning round and showing they're not actually a bad team when they get their hands on the ball. Certainly the full-back Morris and winger Crabtree wouldn't look out of place in most C1 sides. In contrast the forwards were the strong point of our performance, Oxford struggling to contain the pack for most of the game.

But yes the injury situation must be causing a worry. I reckon we must have been down to the only fit 13 we had for the last twenty, Haley and Mapals both looked to tweak hamstrings, Ballard twisted an ankle, Clarke came off clutching his leg, Coyle clutching his shoulder.

An enjoyable day yesterday though, even with an hour spent in standing traffic on the M40 nearly causing me to miss kick off (good job they delayed it!) ... as KOL says, nice ground and nice set-up.

#3 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:27 AM

It's a good job we've got a big squad-- and a goalkicker like Ballard.

Comparing this seasons squad to last seasons can anyone tell me what happened to DAVID CLAYTON and LUKE HELLIWELL?

#4 Gazmeister

Gazmeister
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:35 PM

I made the journey yesterday in the car and set off at 11:15 and got there are 14:15 and never saw a queue – strangely!

I though Hunslet started very patiently and were probably told not to try and score on every set, hence taking a while to get on the score board.  Thought Watson had a great game and broke the line a few times and sent Maples dashing down the wing for his trademark tries.  The defence on that side was unpenetratable for 60 minutes until Watson had to go on to the opposite wing to replace Ballard who went off injured.  Oakes went to centre inside of Maples and then Oxford scored three down that wing.  Lessons learned, Oakes is not a centre and that started Oxford’s fight back.  Broughton is fast for his size and might have been a better option retrospectively.

Pack did well all game and Hayley went off injured early which caused us some issues in the exchanges.  Broughton probably the better of the performers but Clarke was strong until going off – Davies always causes the opposition problems.

Grimmer and Coyle are still getting caught with the ball in hand in the plays.  Not sure whether they are doing their own thing and not following the set pieces, but they should be spraying the ball around not getting caught with it all the time.  Ansell will probably come in next week for Coyle.

First half was clinical again from Hunslet, injuries exposed us in the middle and on the right wing in the second.  Apart from that it could have been another 60 points on the board I think.

My prediction was Oxford 10 – 38 Hunslet before the game.  I thought the 20 points Oxford scored made them look better than the game suggested but they are a physical team – hence quite a few skirmishes.

#5 Neverumind3

Neverumind3
  • Players
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:54 PM

With all the injuries Why don't we play jimmy Watson at prop, he can play any position better than everyone else anyway, you need to crawl out of your lads ######. but in all seriousness he did have a great game yesterday, and saved a certain try from the kick off with a great ankle tap on there full back I think it was, i also thought big brooke broughton had a great game and they where both great down that right hand flank. also im glad we have finally got a decent goal kicker in ballard he was knockin them from all over and missed probably one of the easy ones he scored two good tries and hope his injuiry isnt too bad.

Good to go down there and get a good win it was rapped up before half time again and well done to Oxford for winning the second half. I think it was grimmer who missed the tackle on the centre and not Oakes and the other two tries were long distant effort so can't really blame Oakes for the tries in the centre

I can't believe all the injuries we are getting a little bit like leeds last year but I'd rather get them at this time of the year rather than the important stuff come September/October

#6 james cunny

james cunny

maximus aurelius

• Coach
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:55 PM

Oaksey was injured he only stayed on because we had no fit subs not impressed at all with Oxfords tactics in second half definitely went out to rough us up the knees in back after Marchy scored was shocking didn't blame Marchy for reacting to it
Hunslet Hawks Champions 2010

#7 Neverumind3

Neverumind3
  • Players
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:10 PM

Mal meninga this week

#8 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 434 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:54 PM

Other players family/mates post or look at this forum. However through respect for their players fellow professionals & team mates, they let the fans make judgements on the players rather than try & impose their opinions on others. Players take credit & critism when it's due & sometimes unfairly.
I think gaz is doing injustice to the lad Watson, being talked up as a superstar it will only make his performances be more scrutinised than they should.
He's still young & learning the game, let him play without the unfair high expectation on the lad.

#9 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:18 AM

With all the injuries Why don't we play jimmy Watson at prop, he can play any position better than everyone else anyway, you need to crawl out of your lads ######. but in all seriousness he did have a great game yesterday, and saved a certain try from the kick off with a great ankle tap on there full back I think it was, i also thought big brooke broughton had a great game and they where both great down that right hand flank. also im glad we have finally got a decent goal kicker in ballard he was knockin them from all over and missed probably one of the easy ones he scored two good tries and hope his injuiry isnt too bad.

Good to go down there and get a good win it was rapped up before half time again and well done to Oxford for winning the second half. I think it was grimmer who missed the tackle on the centre and not Oakes and the other two tries were long distant effort so can't really blame Oakes for the tries in the centre

I can't believe all the injuries we are getting a little bit like leeds last year but I'd rather get them at this time of the year rather than the important stuff come September/October

If he does play prop , will he get charged for 2 seats in the car tho!......... :sclerosis:

#10 funkygibbon

funkygibbon
  • Players
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:59 PM

WELL DONE TO DAVID MARCH ANDY BALLARD AND JIMMY WATSON IN TEAM OF THE WEEK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users