Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hunslet v Skolars

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 457 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:47 PM

Pretty sure it was fans who said no dual reg not the club.

Also can all the people moaning about these 2 please name the 17 you would pick? From the injury list you'll probably struggle to name 17 never mind pick a good team selection.

Oh and pretty sure Richie Moore was the best player in all those end of season games, wasn't he a Leeds player?

What forwards are injured? Only Haley & Clarke mentioned

#42 Scanners

Scanners
  • Players
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:52 PM

I always thought the whole purpose of a 'squad' was to cover injuries like we have at the minute. I wonder what the likes of Cook,Canterbury,Clough etc think about tonight's announcement.

I presume that Mr Bailey won't be available next week vs Workington in the Challenge Cup as Brian McDermott won't want him to be cup tied. If no one recovers from injury over the next week or so, we'll have to call on one our 'fringe' players who hasn't had any game time since the end of January to fill a spot left by the DR guys.

In my opinion next weeks game against Workington is more important than this week. If we lost to London it wouldn't be the end of the world, I'm convinced we'll still make the play offs and be around the top of the league come the end of the season but a win against Workington and a favourable draw in the next round could give the club a nice little earner.

Why not give the likes of Cook and Canterbury a game this week, giving them a chance to prove themselves as well a bit of match fitness in case they are needed the week after.  

#43 noname6

noname6
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:02 PM

What forwards are injured? Only Haley & Clarke mentioned

so you think oakes/broughton won't be moved to centre, and tebb/march won't be moved to scrum half? Plus stenchion & Houston are hopefully back if you read the preview but with both being injured last week there will be no guarantee they'll be fit so your 2 becomes 6 very quickly

#44 sgt pepper

sgt pepper
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:06 PM

Is this for real??

Thought the club stated at start of the season the squad is that good, we wouldnt need to use any DR players? More mixed messages AGAIN

Whats the point of having a squad and sign players if they board or coaching staff have no confidence in their ability? What must they be thinking. You couldnt blame them if they walked away.

As for our clueless coach, didnt he learn from the back end of last season that we play better when we field our own players who want to play for the shirt, rather than being told they have to play.

Were not hunslet anymore, were clearly a feeder club and thank you to all the muppets for making that happen. Your jobs done. Well done :-)

YES WELL DONE HIST

#45 Sampson for Knighthood

Sampson for Knighthood
  • Coach
  • 184 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:22 PM

so you think oakes/broughton won't be moved to centre, and tebb/march won't be moved to scrum half? Plus stenchion & Houston are hopefully back if you read the preview but with both being injured last week there will be no guarantee they'll be fit so your 2 becomes 6 very quickly

Surely ansell at number 7 or have the coaching staff have no confidence in him. either?

F T Q

Celtic FC - SPL winners 2012/13

#46 noname6

noname6
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:29 PM

Surely ansell at number 7 or have the coaching staff have no confidence in him. either?

I thought grimmer picked up an injury last week so was thinking Ansell 6 with march or tebb 7 but was actually Dave march injured. however that's still a forward down if he's not fit

#47 Gazmeister

Gazmeister
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:02 AM

I would be more concerned if Luke Briscoe comes. I am not a big fan of his. I don't rate him and he won't increase the quality.

Nobody seems to know where he plays best. Because in reality he can play anywhere but not very well.

Think that would be a shame if he comes before Cooke gets a shot.

#48 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 923 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:05 AM

Here's one possible line-up of players not listed as injured that could be selected without turning to dual reg ... I've left also left Marchy out  as well, seeing as there seems to be a question mark over him:

Kain
Watson
Cook
Maun
Akaidere
Grimshaw
Ansell
Houston
Tebb
Stenchion
Oakes
Broughton
Mackay

Canterbury
Davies
Reed
Lyons

Over to you, dear readers, to consider whether this team would be good enough to beat the Skolars ...

#49 maccca-6-

maccca-6-
  • Coach
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:29 AM

Here's one possible line-up of players not listed as injured that could be selected without turning to dual reg ... I've left also left Marchy out as well, seeing as there seems to be a question mark over him:

Kain
Watson
Cook
Maun
Akaidere
Grimshaw
Ansell
Houston
Tebb
Stenchion
Oakes
Broughton
Mackay

Canterbury
Davies
Reed
Lyons

Over to you, dear readers, to consider whether this team would be good enough to beat the Skolars ...

Looks like a strong side to me but what do I no. I
hunslet hawks champions 2010

#50 Gazmeister

Gazmeister
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:29 AM

It would be good enough, but Maun is out too

#51 noname6

noname6
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:31 AM

Maun is out - see preview
Houston & Stenchion - both hopefully back
Akaidere & Canterbury - both injured I thought?

So just 5 positions to have cover for

#52 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 923 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:47 AM

Maun is out - see preview
Houston & Stenchion - both hopefully back
Akaidere & Canterbury - both injured I thought?

So just 5 positions to have cover for

The official club release mentions Hood, Clarke, T.Coyle, J.Coyle, Haley, Brickwood, Wilson, Mapals and Ballard as injured. Looks like Maun has been a recent addition to the list, but there's nothing to suggest the other four players you mention aren't available.

You'd think the club would have made a point of mentioning ALL the unavailable players if they wanted an "excuse" to use DR ...

#53 suzzy

suzzy
  • Coach
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:05 AM

Playing someone who is obviously disliked with a vengeance is not that  good an idea especially with all the tension over D/R.  Winning is not the be and end all on Sunday winning the grand final is so in my opinion being an outsider as it where I would not have considered him, surely they have fringe players at Leeds to do a job if D/R is the only answer to injuries. 

chappy

#54 gabby

gabby
  • Coach
  • 764 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:15 AM

I was told that if the game was to be played on Thursday, Hunslet couldn't field a team. Now I don't know who is injured exactly but we didn't have 17 fit men yesterday {Thursday]! So do we play with 15 / 14 /? whatever men and get beat or use D/R and I'm not sure if playing short handed could bring a fine from the R.L.?
It is far better to remain silent and be thought a fool
than to open your mouth and prove that you are.

#55 pudsey hawk

pudsey hawk
  • Coach
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:24 PM

Getting 3 points is everything.York are top and they use dual reg so let's do what we have to.not a big fan of  Bailey but I will support him in an hunslet shirt

#56 Mystic Meg

Mystic Meg
  • Coach
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:51 PM

One point to consider, is that if we insist on only playing Hunslet squad members, and we pick up two or three more injuries on Sunday, we may finish up fielding more DR players in the next game than our own.

Personally I won't feel comfortable seeing Bailey in a Hawks shirt, but promotion is essential this year for the club's continued progression.

I believe that four teams go down from the Championship this season, and some of those may be big names.....

#57 Neverumind3

Neverumind3
  • Players
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:55 PM

Great post Pusey, lets just get behind our team...yes we might have bailey in our team but he's playin for us not the rhinos he's going to be puttin his body on the line in a hawks shirt on Sunday..I don't think clarkson will be playing he's just been put in the rhinos squad for tonight's game

#58 Hunslet2012

Hunslet2012
  • Coach
  • 506 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:58 PM

Chris Clarkson playing cause Mitch Achurch injured tonight so down to 1 dual reg

#59 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:29 PM

Depending on game time tonight,Clarkson could still play on Sunday.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#60 Progman

Progman
  • Coach
  • 393 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:38 PM

So what do we do ask one off our players that wasn't getting picked to play because the rhinos have changed their minds