TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Bradford Bulls takeover complete

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#101 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:41 PM

At "this time" the survival of SL has come about thanks to £200,000,000 of SKY money. Rich investors are salary capped. It is SKY that are indespensable. So you are so wide of the mark trying to disagree with me as much as you can, that we should not exchange any more on this or we will bore people more than we do.

Back on topic the withdrawal of the SKY money made matters worse, hopefully the increase in the SKY money will make the Bulls competitive again.

How did Salford, Wakefield, twice, Crusaders and Bradford once do when they were only reliant on Sky money ?

#102 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,576 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:51 PM

Blimey Dave you told me off for "banging on" so I left it. Now I see your banging on. I suggest you stick to the debate.

I see no "lesson" as far as Bradford are concerned, the heavy reduction in crowds once the trophies dried up could easily have led to a frugal board cutting their cloth and stopping buying players, but where would that have led? Bottom of the table anyway.  Halifax avoided relegation 2003 by cutting their cloth, then their own throats and IIRC spending the few quid they had left on begging buckets. This well run club didn't survive in SL and nearly didn't survive at all apart from Charity.

I don't see how you have a "strong club" to support. You have Mr. Moran's £Millions to support you. You may interpret that as "well run" but I certainly don't. So I'm strongly with Derwent on this.

I have never known anybody talk so much rubbish and be so clueless as yourself. You go around trying to make your point stick on something you know next to nothing about!

If Halifax would have gone on to keep paying fulltime wages and not cut the cloth they would have gone bust for the end of the season. Nigel Wood and his friends, had badly managed the club. This mismanagement saw the club run up debts of a million pounds or so and upset many fans and sponsors of the club. The club didnt belong in SL as it needed to rebuild itself. It didnt have the support of the RFL like Bradford has had. It rightly made the decision to play at a level and pay at a level it could afford. The fact that crowds went down in Halifax is due to a number of things. The problems at Halifax was often the result of decisions of the Club when Nigel Wood was CEO. The move down to The Shay, The Stupid "Blue Sox" Moniker, The ignorance and arrogance of Nigel Wood and others in dealing with fans and supporters etc, pushed many away and from which the club has struggled.

In 2003 when Fax was relegated, was probably the best the club had been run for many a year under the late Stephen Pearson and co. If it wasnt for Stephen Pearson and co the club would simply of not survived. The club took the correct decision and rebuild outside of SL. The problem was the club didnt expect to see the route to SL that had been in operationvia Promotion on the field changed. This again stopped Fax from progressing and getting back to SL like the old days. The club wasnt helped by Barrie John Mather at the RFL who stopped the club running an academy and from running scholarships because they was not in SL. Featherstone and Sheffield also suffered from this. 

Its my opinion that Bradford could and should have rebuilt outside of SL and come back to SL when they are ready instead of the mess thats been allowed to fester. The club would have gone backwards but sometimes you need to do that and sort things out to go forwards.

#103 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:07 PM

I have never known anybody talk so much rubbish and be so clueless as yourself.

Halifax didnt belong in SL as it needed to rebuild itself. Its my opinion that Bradford could and should have rebuilt outside of SL and come back to SL when they are ready instead of the mess thats been allowed to fester. The club would have gone backwards but sometimes you need to do that and sort things out to go forwards.

Having a go at me in the way you do isn't a very good debating point as it avoids the real debate and causes antagonism.

If Halifax needed to rebuild itself as a club in 2003 then where is it now over ten years later? As a club they compete OK in the top reaches of the Championship. There's little junior development of note as Fartown and Bradford will have scouts round the Fax amateur clubs. The finances were looked at in 2011 during the licensing application and they were deemed to be inadequate. As for the fanbase it stood at 1707 last season. Isn't that the worst since 1978?

I'm astounded that you insist that somehow the Bulls should follow the same path. Not in a million years Lizzy.

#104 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,576 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:54 AM

So ill informed its embarrassing! If you really believe the Bullsh?? about how thorough finances were looked at viewed honestly in 2011 then that shows how clueless you are. Bradford and Salford were classed as OK. Where was they 12 months down the line? Little junior development? Fax U20s has a number of the Calderdale College team that yesterday won the College final 50-6 against the previously unbeaten Hopwood Hall 50-6. As a club they do compete in the championship-but its a bit difficult when the normal way of winning things on a pitch is not there over the opinions of people who dont exactly have a good record of judging how well clubs are actually doing off the field. The fanbase is not good, but thats partly down to the club and partly because people are fed up with Rugby League. Also the cost is a major problem as many cant afford to pay over 30 Pounds for 2 hours entertainment. You have your opinion and I have mine but dont try and base your opinions on something you know next to nothing about. 

#105 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:24 PM

So ill informed its embarrassing! If you really believe the Bullsh?? about how thorough finances were looked at viewed honestly in 2011 then that shows how clueless you are. Bradford and Salford were classed as OK. Where was they 12 months down the line? Little junior development? Fax U20s has a number of the Calderdale College team that yesterday won the College final 50-6 against the previously unbeaten Hopwood Hall 50-6. As a club they do compete in the championship-but its a bit difficult when the normal way of winning things on a pitch is not there over the opinions of people who dont exactly have a good record of judging how well clubs are actually doing off the field. The fanbase is not good, but thats partly down to the club and partly because people are fed up with Rugby League. Also the cost is a major problem as many cant afford to pay over 30 Pounds for 2 hours entertainment. You have your opinion and I have mine but dont try and base your opinions on something you know next to nothing about. 

Don't let facts get in the way of a good 'ol theory.

#106 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:44 PM

Relegation is “Plan Z”, says new Bradford Bulls chairman
http://www.totalrl.c...bulls-chairman/

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#107 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:56 PM

You have your opinion and I have mine but dont try and base your opinions on something you know next to nothing about. 

Lizzy. All I need to know is that relegation for the Bulls would mean less SKY money, the loss of top players, and the reduction of crowds.

No I do not know the fine details of Halifax's demise, and I certainly applaud them deciding to cut spending heavily and take the consequences if that was necessary which you say it was. But I do know those consequences led to many years in the wilderness, declining crowds and a published allegation from the RFL the club were not financed well enough for SL.

The new relaxed structure allows the way back, and I hope you get a crack at it, but nothing you have said convinces me, anyone who has been in charge of the Bulls recently, the gentleman in charge now and Martyn Sadler in a editorial about SL relegation that accepting relegation through slashing costs, and giving up on the season is a good thing to do because it can allow them to "Re-build".

We agree to disagree.

#108 whapen10

whapen10
  • Players
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:01 PM

hello, i know i'm knew here (even though i've been lurking for years) but i wanted to make an observation about "ill-informed". it is true that the calderdale college side contains a number of players currently with fax but to class this as fax's junior development is just disingenuous - or ill informed. all bar one of two of those players were 'developed' through super league clubs junior systems and picked up by fax only when they were let go. i know it may seem like a small point and perhaps even a little off-topic but it does tend to call into question the rest of your argument when you make assertions which are so clearly lacking in substance. 

sorry to be so unconstructive with my first post i'll try to do better in future.

#109 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,837 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:15 AM

Fax already  has a very good stadium, and is only seven miles from Bradford.

If the club is in such fine fettle, it should be targetting the Bulls' place in Superleague. If the Bulls go down, we fans will accept it and rebuild. So far so good.

Lounge Room Lizard will then theoretically have no further reason to attack the Bulls. Everyone knows that this will never be the case; he will be on here every week lambasting us for not deserting our club to follow his.  It will, of course, be our club's fault if his club joins Superleague and once again hits the financial buffers.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#110 bamfordsbeans

bamfordsbeans
  • Coach
  • 238 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:52 AM

Lounge Room Lizard is correct in his assertion that ambitious championship clubs have been severely handicapped in the last few years in not only being barred from progressing in the league structure but in not being encouraged in junior development.Quite a number of Halifax based juniors have ended up at Bradford and huddersfield and I.m sure a similar scenario for Featherstone and leigh.
Decisions like these cannot be rectified overnight but the new structure at least gives some hope.

#111 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:48 AM

Relegation is “Plan Z”, says new Bradford Bulls chairman
http://www.totalrl.c...bulls-chairman/

I know a new chairman would want to be Bullish (no pun intended) but I think relegation needs to be plan B, if plan A goes wrong.

Being a sceptic on the subject of Bradford would lead me to believe the other 24 plans involve practices that would be a detriment to the club and fans.

#112 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:55 AM

Lounge Room Lizard is correct in his assertion that ambitious championship clubs have been severely handicapped in the last few years in not only being barred from progressing in the league structure but in not being encouraged in junior development.Quite a number of Halifax based juniors have ended up at Bradford and huddersfield and I.m sure a similar scenario for Featherstone and leigh.
Decisions like these cannot be rectified overnight but the new structure at least gives some hope.

I think that right Mr. Beans, but you may consider the reality that there isn't hordes of talented RL kids out there enough to stock three Superleague clubs within a spit of each other, and certainly the best kids want to be in the Superleague system.

What happens when everything is left to fate is some clubs find themselves in SL doing well others crash and burn. It could easily have been Fartown not dropping ultra lucky on Davey and Bradford collapsing earlier to leave Halifax with the opportunity to be top dogs. Then you may be ruing the fact that all the best talent goes to Halifax.

As SL decreases in size and as all clubs are determined to preserve their identity and continue their own paths there's less room for the successful and more room for the unsuccessful. I can see why Bradford are desperate not to get on the wrong side of that divide.

Will the structure give some hope? I don't think it changes much in terms of how finances work. We will see.

#113 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,576 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:22 AM

If the club is in such fine fettle, it should be targetting the Bulls' place in Superleague. If the Bulls go down, we fans will accept it and rebuild. So far so good.

Lounge Room Lizard will then theoretically have no further reason to attack the Bulls. Everyone knows that this will never be the case; he will be on here every week lambasting us for not deserting our club to follow his.  It will, of course, be our club's fault if his club joins Superleague and once again hits the financial buffers.

Sorry if this is a bit long or people dont understand what I am saying but here goes.  Why would I expect or want Bradford fans todesert the Bulls to follow Fax or any other team? The problems at Halifax are the result of poor management from people at the club. The club is very lucky to still exist. The decisions from the RFL over the years have not helped. At the end of the day Halifax didnt deserve or earn the right to be in SL. The same can be said of Bradford or any other club thats got itself in deep trouble. Painful as it was, the club has benefitted greatly by rebuilding outside of SL and is in a much better state than in 2003 when it was relegated. I see no point in having clubs pretending they should be in SL when they have not earned it and bring nothing but problems to the table. I dont see how Bradford for example have earned the right to be in SL the past 2 years and the lies and deceit just make it worse. I personally dont see the point of having clubs that are in a mess over a long period of time staying in SL at the expense of say Featherstone who are doing things properly. What Bradford or any other club did in Sl 5-10 years ago is irrelevant for me. Its the here and now that is important and what they bring. Featherstone and Sheffield may or may not struggle in SL. If they are thinking mid to long term then they will budget for a relegation and if they stay up then its a bonus. The problems often in RL is the short term thinking rather than the mid to long term thinking. I just feel Championship clubs have been hindered to a degree by SL clubs and the RFL by this short term thinking. Would Fax, Fev etc struggle in SL? Maybe but least they have earned the right to be there. The license era for me is one where lies and deceit reigned as clubs like Bradford, Wakefield, Crusaders, London, Cas, Salford did anything to stay in SL. Other Championship clubs were not treated fairly and I fail to see how Bradford, Crusaders, Wakefield, Salford were all considered good enough for SL and yet all had severe problems which were ignored or overlooked. Friends of mine were left deeply out of pocket at clubs like Crusaders due to the lies and deceit. I fail to see how these clubs can be classed OK and yet Fax for example were one month considered good enough but then 3 months later were classed as not good enough and lambasted for the finances. I know fans who follow various clubs others feel the same about this 

The leadership of SL and the RFL has created a very poor enviroment where there is no stability, unity or even positive future to look forward to. Clubs are happy to vote on short term decisions and damage the future. Clubs are willing to put token effort in for the future and would rather lie, use deceit and put all hope in Short term success. The leadership at the top is missing and the game instead of sticking with a mid to long term plan would rather think short term and keep changing things because certain people are not happy. Changes made/voted on with no real thought about what and how the changes will actually improve the game for everybody not just select few. I currently dont want my club in SL because I dont think its in its bests interests to be there. SL is seen as some last hope of survival by clubs and fans when it should not be. The Championships both have alot to offer but many dont want to be there and see clubs relegated in to it. I would suggest the Championship offer far more stability to a club than SL. I would also suggest a club has more chance to sort itself out and plan properly for the future than in Sl where short term thinking is in abundance. Crowds would drop for any club in Sl droipping down. But it also it could be a massive way forward for Bradford and/or London to regroup and plan for the mid to long term future in SL. Somebody coming in at Bradford, London etc  and throwing money around is not the answer to the clubs future or sorting its problems out. You need a framework of where you want to be heading in 5 or 10 years and how you will go about it and not overstretch yourself. The problem is because SL/RFL have no idea on where they are going, then its tough for clubs who are looking to plan mid to long term to do it. If Bradford or London etc knew the new structures coming in will be the same in 5 or 10 years then they could plan for that. But frankly I cant see that and I doubt the clubs can either. And so clubs keep this short term thinking and hoping and begging to be/stay in SL

Edited by Lounge Room Lizard, 05 April 2014 - 11:23 AM.

#114 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:52 PM

Sorry if this is a bit long or people dont understand what I am saying but here goes.  Why would I expect or want Bradford fans todesert the Bulls to follow Fax or any other team? The problems at Halifax are the result of poor management from people at the club. The club is very lucky to still exist. The decisions from the RFL over the years have not helped. At the end of the day Halifax didnt deserve or earn the right to be in SL. The same can be said of Bradford or any other club thats got itself in deep trouble. Painful as it was, the club has benefitted greatly by rebuilding outside of SL and is in a much better state than in 2003 when it was relegated. I see no point in having clubs pretending they should be in SL when they have not earned it and bring nothing but problems to the table. I dont see how Bradford for example have earned the right to be in SL the past 2 years and the lies and deceit just make it worse. I personally dont see the point of having clubs that are in a mess over a long period of time staying in SL at the expense of say Featherstone who are doing things properly. What Bradford or any other club did in Sl 5-10 years ago is irrelevant for me. Its the here and now that is important and what they bring. Featherstone and Sheffield may or may not struggle in SL. If they are thinking mid to long term then they will budget for a relegation and if they stay up then its a bonus. The problems often in RL is the short term thinking rather than the mid to long term thinking. I just feel Championship clubs have been hindered to a degree by SL clubs and the RFL by this short term thinking. Would Fax, Fev etc struggle in SL? Maybe but least they have earned the right to be there. The license era for me is one where lies and deceit reigned as clubs like Bradford, Wakefield, Crusaders, London, Cas, Salford did anything to stay in SL. Other Championship clubs were not treated fairly and I fail to see how Bradford, Crusaders, Wakefield, Salford were all considered good enough for SL and yet all had severe problems which were ignored or overlooked. Friends of mine were left deeply out of pocket at clubs like Crusaders due to the lies and deceit. I fail to see how these clubs can be classed OK and yet Fax for example were one month considered good enough but then 3 months later were classed as not good enough and lambasted for the finances. I know fans who follow various clubs others feel the same about this 

The leadership of SL and the RFL has created a very poor enviroment where there is no stability, unity or even positive future to look forward to. Clubs are happy to vote on short term decisions and damage the future. Clubs are willing to put token effort in for the future and would rather lie, use deceit and put all hope in Short term success. The leadership at the top is missing and the game instead of sticking with a mid to long term plan would rather think short term and keep changing things because certain people are not happy. Changes made/voted on with no real thought about what and how the changes will actually improve the game for everybody not just select few. I currently dont want my club in SL because I dont think its in its bests interests to be there. SL is seen as some last hope of survival by clubs and fans when it should not be. The Championships both have alot to offer but many dont want to be there and see clubs relegated in to it. I would suggest the Championship offer far more stability to a club than SL. I would also suggest a club has more chance to sort itself out and plan properly for the future than in Sl where short term thinking is in abundance. Crowds would drop for any club in Sl droipping down. But it also it could be a massive way forward for Bradford and/or London to regroup and plan for the mid to long term future in SL. Somebody coming in at Bradford, London etc  and throwing money around is not the answer to the clubs future or sorting its problems out. You need a framework of where you want to be heading in 5 or 10 years and how you will go about it and not overstretch yourself. The problem is because SL/RFL have no idea on where they are going, then its tough for clubs who are looking to plan mid to long term to do it. If Bradford or London etc knew the new structures coming in will be the same in 5 or 10 years then they could plan for that. But frankly I cant see that and I doubt the clubs can either. And so clubs keep this short term thinking and hoping and begging to be/stay in SL

No reason for you to apologise for a long post. There's nothing in the rules about lengths of posts. As for understanding you, I've never had any problem. Post away, great stuff......

I don't agree for one second that going into the Championship should ever be a policy decision. I think that it may well be an inevitability of clubs "cutting their cloth", a laudable policy, so they run up no more debt. But to give up on £millions of SKY money, to give up on most of your supporters, and to stop providing the profile your sponsors want to invest in is madness if it is a deliberate act. By the very nature of deliberately knocking down the SKY money, fan base and sponsor base those very same elements then have to be built back up again.

For Bradford I'd agree they should spend to what they have got to a point but if Mr. Green wishes to inject capital (he'll never see back and knows that) to add three or four good players why should he not do that? Which would be better - to escape relegation and start again in SL next year, or to just accept the drop. Those are as we say plans "A" and "Z".

You suggest the Championships offer "stability" but how do they?. The Championships have seen falling crowds for years that destabilise the clubs into dual registration, their better players are picked off by SL which destabilises the team, their SL neighbours offer much better deals to local advertisers and sponsors. In the end the shrinking of the championships business just leaves a bigger mountain to climb back up?

Where I do agree with you is your separate argument that clubs who don't perform must go, and another be given the chance.

But take care as the record is clear. Bradford were the ninth best team on the pitch in British Rugby League in 2013 and they were the sixth best supported.

Do you think they should have given way to any championship club this year on that record?

Absolutely not. Salford or London should have gone first.

Edited by The Parksider, 05 April 2014 - 03:39 PM.

#115 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:13 PM

Sorry if this is a bit long or people dont understand what I am saying but here goes. Why would I expect or want Bradford fans todesert the Bulls to follow Fax or any other team? The problems at Halifax are the result of poor management from people at the club. The club is very lucky to still exist. The decisions from the RFL over the years have not helped. At the end of the day Halifax didnt deserve or earn the right to be in SL. The same can be said of Bradford or any other club thats got itself in deep trouble. Painful as it was, the club has benefitted greatly by rebuilding outside of SL and is in a much better state than in 2003 when it was relegated. I see no point in having clubs pretending they should be in SL when they have not earned it and bring nothing but problems to the table. I dont see how Bradford for example have earned the right to be in SL the past 2 years and the lies and deceit just make it worse. I personally dont see the point of having clubs that are in a mess over a long period of time staying in SL at the expense of say Featherstone who are doing things properly. What Bradford or any other club did in Sl 5-10 years ago is irrelevant for me. Its the here and now that is important and what they bring. Featherstone and Sheffield may or may not struggle in SL. If they are thinking mid to long term then they will budget for a relegation and if they stay up then its a bonus. The problems often in RL is the short term thinking rather than the mid to long term thinking. I just feel Championship clubs have been hindered to a degree by SL clubs and the RFL by this short term thinking. Would Fax, Fev etc struggle in SL? Maybe but least they have earned the right to be there. The license era for me is one where lies and deceit reigned as clubs like Bradford, Wakefield, Crusaders, London, Cas, Salford did anything to stay in SL. Other Championship clubs were not treated fairly and I fail to see how Bradford, Crusaders, Wakefield, Salford were all considered good enough for SL and yet all had severe problems which were ignored or overlooked. Friends of mine were left deeply out of pocket at clubs like Crusaders due to the lies and deceit. I fail to see how these clubs can be classed OK and yet Fax for example were one month considered good enough but then 3 months later were classed as not good enough and lambasted for the finances. I know fans who follow various clubs others feel the same about this

The leadership of SL and the RFL has created a very poor enviroment where there is no stability, unity or even positive future to look forward to. Clubs are happy to vote on short term decisions and damage the future. Clubs are willing to put token effort in for the future and would rather lie, use deceit and put all hope in Short term success. The leadership at the top is missing and the game instead of sticking with a mid to long term plan would rather think short term and keep changing things because certain people are not happy. Changes made/voted on with no real thought about what and how the changes will actually improve the game for everybody not just select few. I currently dont want my club in SL because I dont think its in its bests interests to be there. SL is seen as some last hope of survival by clubs and fans when it should not be. The Championships both have alot to offer but many dont want to be there and see clubs relegated in to it. I would suggest the Championship offer far more stability to a club than SL. I would also suggest a club has more chance to sort itself out and plan properly for the future than in Sl where short term thinking is in abundance. Crowds would drop for any club in Sl droipping down. But it also it could be a massive way forward for Bradford and/or London to regroup and plan for the mid to long term future in SL. Somebody coming in at Bradford, London etc and throwing money around is not the answer to the clubs future or sorting its problems out. You need a framework of where you want to be heading in 5 or 10 years and how you will go about it and not overstretch yourself. The problem is because SL/RFL have no idea on where they are going, then its tough for clubs who are looking to plan mid to long term to do it. If Bradford or London etc knew the new structures coming in will be the same in 5 or 10 years then they could plan for that. But frankly I cant see that and I doubt the clubs can either. And so clubs keep this short term thinking and hoping and begging to be/stay in SL

Astonishingly ludicrous post, even for you.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#116 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 577 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:31 PM

I know a new chairman would want to be Bullish (no pun intended) but I think relegation needs to be plan B, if plan A goes wrong.

Being a sceptic on the subject of Bradford would lead me to believe the other 24 plans involve practices that would be a detriment to the club and fans.

I'd say plan C myself.

This is bradford we're talking about,plan B is finish 3rd bottom and go into administration again and hope they can get to the start of the next season again

#117 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:44 PM

As a Fev fan, the last thing I would want would be for the Bulls to get relegated, because I think it would do them the world of good at this moment in time. I can remember the club rising like a phoenix from the ashes in the sixties, and the way they bounced back from relegation in 73/74 season. I used to watch Northern in the mid 70's when my brother Ian played, and from past experience I feel they would handle relegation much better than some other clubs. Definitely the last side that Fev would want to face next season.

#118 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:16 PM

I'd say plan C myself.

This is bradford we're talking about,plan B is finish 3rd bottom and go into administration again and hope they can get to the start of the next season again

Expert trolling. If we finish 3rd bottom, why the need to go into admin? We have full Sky money and are all set...! If you are going to attempt a wind up, at least have some grasp on reality

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#119 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:26 PM

As a Fev fan, the last thing I would want would be for the Bulls to get relegated, because I think it would do them the world of good at this moment in time. I can remember the club rising like a phoenix from the ashes in the sixties, and the way they bounced back from relegation in 73/74 season. I used to watch Northern in the mid 70's when my brother Ian played, and from past experience I feel they would handle relegation much better than some other clubs. Definitely the last side that Fev would want to face next season.

Steve, whilst I have no doubt you mean this in an incredibly positive way, that was a totally different era. Yes the club came back in the 70s (as established earlier in the thread, not a relegation in the sense we are talking about now, Northern weren't one of the two worst teams in the top division at the time), but the disparity between the top division and the one immediately below is even greater now than it was back then.

We can argue the toss for ages about why, but just because the club survived a demotion in the 70s doesn't mean they are equiped for relegation 40 years later. The board, the players, the coaching staff have all moved on. Just because a percentage of fans and the ground they play on the same is still there doesn't actually mean anything - as much as people wish otherwise.

Fact is, the business of the sport has changed, as has the way you get promoted. Maybe the past two years has turned me into a hardened cynic, but looking at the situation the club is in at the moment anyone who thinks that - i) the Bulls will stay up or ii) the Bulls will immediately bounce back after a single year in the Championship, just doesn't understand the reality of the situation of the club, or the genuine challenge ahead of the clubs in the Championship from 2015. (In the latter case, I think it's an illusion of hope rather than any real hope, but that's for a whole other thread).

I've said it long before the league restructure came in, and I still believe it now, the second the Bulls step down a league, we won't be back in the top division for years - and we can kiss Odsal goodbye too.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#120 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,522 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:57 PM

I was relegated once.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users