TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

north west

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:22 PM

Is the north west now fully alligned to the summer season or is there still a winter league?
If so which teams are still winter?

#2 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,232 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:57 PM

www.nwcl-win.org

This was the winter league last season but most clubs failed to complete the season and most of the clubs listed there now play summer (or always did), Dalton and Golborne Parkside haven't made the switch though of the surviving clubs.

#3 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:42 PM

Thanks!

Are those 2 joining the summer or folding do you know?

#4 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,232 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:33 PM

Not sure to be honest. If the winter league runs I'd imagine it would have to be on the basis of being in the off season for summer (that's how the lower division worked last season anyway). They might decide to join the Pennine League in winter, though Dalton got knocked back last season for geographical reasons

#5 Defender

Defender
  • Coach
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:37 PM

Yes it is really working! below is the table off the RFL season review of 2013, games postponed due to player unavailability, this is without cancelled fixtures for bank holidays, teams folding, scholarship and other reasons, please also bare in mind a lot of these leagues only play part time April/May to July/August

Whilst player availability is an ever present issue throughout the season, there are large differences between different competitions, demonstrated in the table below:
Fixtures cancelled or postponed due to: “Player Availability”
League Name
Scheduled Fixtures
% of postponed fixtures
National Conference League 645. 3 0.47%
Conference South. 48. 2. 4.17%
Hull & District Youth League. 146. 6. 4.14%
CARLA. 135. 6. 4.44%
London Youth, Junior & Primary. 197. 10. 5.08%
West of England League. 33. 3. 6.06%
Barrow ARL. 79. 5. 6.33%
Yorkshire Juniors. 1,387. 94. 6.78%
Cumbria Men's League. 73. 5. 6.85%
West Cumbria Youth League. 105. 8. 7.62%
North West Counties 14-15's. 739. 82. 11.10%
London & SE Men’s League. 124. 18. 14.52%
East of England League. 53. 8. 15.09%
North East League. 192. 29. 15.10%
Yorkshire Men's League. 266. 43. 16.17%
Midlands League. 112. 19. 16.96%
South West League. 38. 7. 18.42%
Women's League. 180. 34. 18.89%
North West Men's League. 754. 152. 20.16%
North West Youth League. 753. 184. 24.44%
TOTAL. 6,058. 717. 11.84%

#6 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,232 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:07 PM

The Yorkshire Youth Combination and NWCL in the winter have had far worse fixture fulfilment rates than equivalent summer leagues. The Pennine league and Hull leagues appear to have had more games called off than they did a few years ago when (almost) everyone was playing winter so it's more a wider downward trend in the game (although those latter 2 leagues are still relatively healthy)

Edited by bowes, 27 March 2014 - 10:08 PM.

#7 Defender

Defender
  • Coach
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:30 PM

I agree but the Yorkshire Youth management and Barla allowed this league to die, I will not disagree there have definately been plenty of call offs this winter and teams folding, my argument is it was supposed to be so much better if we switched and it ain't. We were a minority sport we are heading to be a micro sport, and will be having more months off on average than we play, I hope RU don't extend their season

#8 Defender

Defender
  • Coach
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:36 PM

Funny thing is we are supposed to be one sport, the RFL do not even put figures in for the 3 leagues you mention, so how can you compare if things are better, I know one league that has submitted fudged figures and they are summer, so I never believe everything I read, just good for debate

#9 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:09 PM

How many called off games are second teams and development teams? I am aware of a large number of new teams in the NW and its not surprising that on occasion numbers drop....

Also how many players have retired early on the back of the switch leaving a short term vacuum?

Finally is it just the pennine league that still plays in the winter?

#10 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,232 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:28 AM

How many called off games are second teams and development teams? I am aware of a large number of new teams in the NW and its not surprising that on occasion numbers drop....

Also how many players have retired early on the back of the switch leaving a short term vacuum?

Finally is it just the pennine league that still plays in the winter?

In winter it is just the Pennine League, Hull league, North West Counties League and Yorkshire Youth Combination although the latter 2 are on last legs with rival summer competitions dominating (particularly at U16 and U17 with the YYC)

#11 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,232 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:31 AM

Funny thing is we are supposed to be one sport, the RFL do not even put figures in for the 3 leagues you mention, so how can you compare if things are better, I know one league that has submitted fudged figures and they are summer, so I never believe everything I read, just good for debate

The RLC used to be notorious for fake scores. A bigger concern now is walkovers being postponed to a later date. I know the Midlands League had a decent record last year though

#12 Defender

Defender
  • Coach
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

Below an e mail from the secretary of the Hull Youth League, is this David Gents collateral damage

Hi All
Unfortunately Holderness have not been able to save the two teams at 13’s and 14’s, so have now folded them both.
If you are approached by any of their players please would you ask them if they owe any subs or have kit to return it asap to Holderness, they can check by calling Janice. Your help will be much appreciated.

For those Clubs that have already transferred a player in, I will be in touch as some have transferred owing kit and subs. Again your help would be appreciated.

Holderness are a good club run by nice people, before the switch to summer they had all age groups up to 18 excluding 17, their oldest age group is now 12

According to the RFL review there are 9 new clubs, and 8 new teams year on year (less these 2 makes 6) Nationwide, if we increase teams by that every year we will be putting on about 150 players every year, they say the average players per team is 26 players up from 23 the year before, seems a bit strange when the youth in Hull can only sign on 22 players per team and 25 in Yorkshire , so the open age must have a lot of players.

Where is the stampede, this is the 3rd year so you would expect the message to have sunk in by now

#13 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:23 PM

Below an e mail from the secretary of the Hull Youth League, is this David Gents collateral damage

Hi All
Unfortunately Holderness have not been able to save the two teams at 13’s and 14’s, so have now folded them both.
If you are approached by any of their players please would you ask them if they owe any subs or have kit to return it asap to Holderness, they can check by calling Janice. Your help will be much appreciated.

For those Clubs that have already transferred a player in, I will be in touch as some have transferred owing kit and subs. Again your help would be appreciated.

Holderness are a good club run by nice people, before the switch to summer they had all age groups up to 18 excluding 17, their oldest age group is now 12

According to the RFL review there are 9 new clubs, and 8 new teams year on year (less these 2 makes 6) Nationwide, if we increase teams by that every year we will be putting on about 150 players every year, they say the average players per team is 26 players up from 23 the year before, seems a bit strange when the youth in Hull can only sign on 22 players per team and 25 in Yorkshire , so the open age must have a lot of players.

If the 12 year olds keep moving up would that not close the gap?

Also what is the main reason why 1 club would loose multiple age groups? It appears a little odd.....

For open age i know my old team had registered players who only played 1-2 games a season....this would bring the average up??

#14 Defender

Defender
  • Coach
  • 109 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:27 AM

I am not saying there were teams at all age groups in the winter but this is where we are at the moment in Hull there has been a reduction and Holderness are not the only ones, NCL requirement a youth section and A team, dockers have no A team and not a full compliment of youth, under 12s is the best age group so only 6 years to wait before the players come into open age that's if teams do not fold in the mean time, a similar story in mini mod but not so many gaps

Beverley. U11, 12, 16
Cottingham. U11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
East Hull. U11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17
Holderness. U11, 12
Hull All Blacks U11, 12
Dockers. U12, 15, 17
Isberg. U12, 13, 14, 16
Victoria. U11, 12
Wyke. U11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Myton. U11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
Norland. U14
Skirlaugh. U11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
West Hull. U11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18

#15 henage

henage
  • Coach
  • 221 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:00 PM

One problem Holderness have had over the years is some clubs play by the rules regarding registrations and who you can sign when teams fold/disband etc . And some clubs ride a coach and horses right through the middle of the rules , making up so called super teams , even at very young age groups . Maybe Hull and District could push an advertising campaign in the Hull area to try and raise the profile of the amateur  game in general , I've never seen any advertising for junior rugby maybe just not looking hard enough . Also lots of parents are over protective and do not want there children put at risk of injury even if they would be more likely to injure themselves walking down the stairs.    

#16 johnmatrix

johnmatrix
  • Players
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:25 PM

yorkshire youth is not a good comp, most yrs teams fail to play many fixtures, but i would suggest that is not because of the administration, more to do with the age groups involved, many sports see a significant reduction in player numbers after 16

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users