Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Future Stadium Developments and Capacity

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Superdave

Superdave
  • Players
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:00 AM

Hi

In another topic Official Rams Updates said (and I apologise for not being able to quote this properly)

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:45 PM

Initially the capacity for the game has been set at 3,500.

Should demand exceed capacity we can increase it by a further 450 for this game but that is primarily for the East Terrace and has significant stewarding implications. However it does mean that we can accommodate 3,950 for this game if need be.

The new terrace has had a capacity of 1,600 set on it by Kirklees but this only comes into effect once the additional turnstiles and toilets have been built or are provided, a segregation fence is put in place between the East Terrace and South Stand and two new exit gates and pathways are provided from the terrace so there is still plenty to do before we can count on this and obviously it won’t be in the short term (i.e. this season). A designated catering outlet would also need to be provided. This would give a total capacity of 5,100. Obviously we only need this in place where crowds are likely to be above 3,500. The potential increase for the Wigan game is a one off and has taken a lot of drawn out discussions and negotiations to get this agreed.

Hope this helps.

Althought these further developments are perhaps a little way off, I was wondering about some the practical issues of "crowd control".

I imagine that the "segregation fence" will have a stewarded gate between the two stands (for safety reasons).  On match days, where the original 3500 approved capacity is not in threat (i.e. most games for the forseeable future), would I be right to presume the "gate" (assumig it exists) would be open and that fans would still be free to move between South and East stands as they can do now, satisfying the "half time end changers" and part time sun seekers (July-August only!).  It would be a shame to find that you had to commit to one end or the other when the attendence is barely above what we get now!

On another point, am I right in thinking the refusal to grant an extension to the current capacity after the completion of the East terrace is primarily based on the assumption that, in inclement weather, all the fans would congregate in the covered South stand area.  I believe I read some posts suggesting plans are to eventually roof the East terrace at some time in the distant future. Has anyone costed roofing the East stand and if that was completed would that extend the capacity without having to have some of the other developments done (segregation fence, turnstiles etc.)? - I just wondered if money would be better saved for a roof than spent fences etc.  I, for one, value that Rugby League venues (in the main) allow the free unsegregated movement around the grounds and I am massively put off of the idea of being corralled into enclosures in my own team's home ground like football fans.

#2 Wilsden Ram

Wilsden Ram
  • Coach
  • 222 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:19 AM

There have never been any plans to roof the Eastern Terrace as the prevailing wind is from the West and the rain would

just blow under any roof and would be of no benefit to anyone sheltering from our Summer Weather.

The proposed Western Terrace does include a roof.

All the requirements for both Eastern Terrace completion and Western Terrace Development have been costed but for now 

the concentration is on completing the North (Seating Replacements and pitch-side Fence), South (Steelwork painting and

other Health and Safety issues) and Eastern (Rear Wall / Fence, Turnstiles, Toilets etc)  sides of the Ground before the

end of this year if possible.

I believe that the special needs discussed this past few days are only for matches such as Wigan, where the segregation of

specific areas of the Ground is required for Health & Safety and Stewarding reasons.

#3 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,979 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

How many gates in excess of 3500 have we had since we moved to this ground?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#4 Superdave

Superdave
  • Players
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:02 PM

There have never been any plans to roof the Eastern Terrace

Fair enough, my mistake.

Well done to everybody involved in the work so far, things do seem much more positive around the place, thanks to a lot of hard work.

#5 YOUNG UN

YOUNG UN
  • Coach
  • 749 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:18 PM

"There have never been any plans to roof the Eastern Terrace as the prevailing wind is from the West and the rain would

just blow under any roof and would be of no benefit to anyone sheltering from our Summer Weather".

I love the ground and think the work that is going on is superb. But I have often wondered why the ground wasn't built the other way ie. The current North stand at the west end? Anybody in the know?

#6 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:43 PM

When we, the members of the then Members' Club, were called upon to vote on issues concerning the new stadium, we agreed that the new pitch would be positioned running in the same direction as the old ground (but wi'out t' Nine 'oil)!

We also voted on giving the new stadium the name Crown Flatt, not New Crown Flatt, just Crown Flatt!
Legs, Dews, Legs.

#7 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:27 AM

Jack Addy told me the positioning of the pitch was at the insistence of Kirklees MDC as the ground looked better from the road, rather than just seeing the back of a stand.

#8 RogerTRam

RogerTRam
  • Coach
  • 210 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:35 AM

Jack Addy told me the positioning of the pitch was at the insistence of Kirklees MDC as the ground looked better from the road, rather than just seeing the back of a stand.

I was told that the ground was orientated that way to satisfy the great and mighty god BOO. Since most of the south stand are devote followers of that faith and celebrate his weekly resurrection with the declaration that its time for Great Boo’s up. I might be wrong and it might have something to do with the location of the pit shafts under the capark grassed areas. 

#9 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:20 PM

The explanation I offered is the correct reason for the pitch position.
Legs, Dews, Legs.

#10 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,979 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:02 AM

The explanation I offered is the correct reason for the pitch position.

Just to be pedantic for a moment CF, the members agreed with the proposition that the pitch would be in the same orientation as Crown Flatt. This is not the same as that being the reason for this positioning, for which there may have been underlying factors of which the members weren't informed.

We may forever be unaware of what the actual reasons were.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users