Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dewsbury v Wigan

Repeat of 1st Wembely Final

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:02 PM

Surprised journalists have not quoted this. Seem to remember there was some footage of this on the web. Can someone find it.

#2 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:30 PM

looks like you will be playing wigan 2 weeks on the trott, 5 wigan players in the jameaters team for tomorrow :tongue:

#3 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,984 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:44 PM

looks like you will be playing wigan 2 weeks on the trott, 5 wigan players in the jameaters team for tomorrow :tongue:

If that is the case then it shows the DR system up for the shambles that it is.

On Sunday Ryan Bailey and Chris Clarkson are due to play for Hunslet - how does this fit in with the original honorable intentions behind the scheme? Such as these simply serve to steadily undermine the status of Championship clubs and might even cause fans to turn away.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#4 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,681 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:28 PM

"There's a green eyed monster to the south of Workington" or was it Katmandu!!! The only reason Haven are not doing exactly the same is because of Saints injury list. I await with interest to see what your comments are when Woods get several from Saints, it will be oh so different then. Not many fans like the DR system but the RFL brought it in and we have to live with it until it's changed, like the bonus points you also don't like. If you want to bury your head in the sand then carry on but don't blame the clubs that are using it to their advantage. We went through all this last season and nothing as changed so accept it and move on.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#5 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,984 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:09 PM

"There's a green eyed monster to the south of Workington" or was it Katmandu!!! The only reason Haven are not doing exactly the same is because of Saints injury list. I await with interest to see what your comments are when Woods get several from Saints, it will be oh so different then. Not many fans like the DR system but the RFL brought it in and we have to live with it until it's changed, like the bonus points you also don't like. If you want to bury your head in the sand then carry on but don't blame the clubs that are using it to their advantage. We went through all this last season and nothing as changed so accept it and move on.

Correction - no club "has to live with it" nor "use it to their advantage". That is an issue of choice; Sheffield have coped without for example.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#6 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,681 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:33 PM

Correction - no club "has to live with it" nor "use it to their advantage". That is an issue of choice; Sheffield have coped without for example.

So, how are you or anyone else going to alter it. The rules are there as long as you are within them then that's for the RFL to sort out if it is deemed unfair. Teams that are partnered with a SL team can use up to 5 players on DR which is what Town are doing. We have 5 players out with injury and suspension from a squad of 22, three of which were only signed from the amateur ranks in the close season.

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#7 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,984 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:08 PM

So, how are you or anyone else going to alter it. The rules are there as long as you are within them then that's for the RFL to sort out if it is deemed unfair. Teams that are partnered with a SL team can use up to 5 players on DR which is what Town are doing. We have 5 players out with injury and suspension from a squad of 22, three of which were only signed from the amateur ranks in the close season.

So you want me to shut up and accept it, is that what you're saying?

Clubs suffered from injuries before DR, as I'm sure you can remember. I expect that any true supporter like you will retain that same warm glow of satisfaction when your team achieves a victory thanks to the presence of five SL players making a fleeting visit. It's the same shirt after all, and that's what counts.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#8 JimbobRam

JimbobRam
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:18 PM

Just let's face clubs love to abuse it workington swinton etc. There doing it to benefit them to keep them in the league there fans must be proud not.

#9 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,329 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:47 PM

Our geographical disadvantage is a factor . It is tough to attract players , as there's lots on their doorstep . I think we should be cut a bit of slack . Most of our own squad is homegrown but it's harder for us to get depth . We barely have 16 fit n ready at present . And no one is denying that the cutthroat nature of this season does focus the mind and make principle play a back seat role to . Both are factors .

Edited by DavidM, 29 March 2014 - 05:49 PM.

#10 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:15 PM

Keith you know my views on DR and i have openly said we should never be playing players like gardner its just wrong, While yourself and town fans who were all dead against DR when it was introduced have all changed your views on it depending on how your club have used it. You go on about developing local talent and only using DR to cover injuries!!!!!

Well you have 2 fit props in mcgoff and rowly but neither are selected because you have drafted in james and dudson like last week....why is this ????? yet your star man a hooker is injured and you don't bring one in

Poor off season recruitment has bitten you big style and now instead of using DR to compliment your squad , they are now not only the back bone of your squad but of your team

Playing DR players u23 and who are trying to break into a SL i have no problem with this is like it was meant to be. 

Hughes 23 SL games last season, James god know how many SL games Dudson the same

My view on it will never change even if my club brought in robey, wellens, amor, etc i would still say it is completely wrong, Just  like i did when we played gardner.

seem your club are quite happy to sell their soul at any cost,in the long term DR as you use it will do you more harm than good

Edited by haven4ever, 29 March 2014 - 06:20 PM.

#11 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:17 PM

Our geographical disadvantage is a factor . It is tough to attract players , as there's lots on their doorstep . I think we should be cut a bit of slack . Most of our own squad is homegrown but it's harder for us to get depth . We barely have 16 fit n ready at present . And no one is denying that the cutthroat nature of this season does focus the mind and make principle play a back seat role to . Both are factors .

use to be home grown not anymore , 9 of your 17 tomorrow are not from cumbria , yes we have have lots of travelling players, but they are our players not DR

#12 Aubrey Boyce

Aubrey Boyce
  • Players
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:40 PM

[quote name="Blind side johnny" post="2907852" timestamp="1396112904"]

Your learning pal forum rules state your not allowed to have ago at anything Workington town do or they jump on you in numbers.

#13 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,329 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:48 PM

I said our own squad , I'm sure I did ? 18 out of 22 Cumbrians and three who live here ? Obviously tomorrow isn't a good example or we wouldn't be having this discussion !! On the recruitment point , no argument from me .

#14 YOUNG UN

YOUNG UN
  • Coach
  • 749 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:49 PM

Don't particularly think, even with 5 DR, you will win tomorrow. Feel the game will be a close encounter but expect the Rams to bounce back. Plus the fact the lads will be playing for a place on Friday night. Enjoy the game

#15 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,329 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:55 PM

Could easy be right chief . We had four last week remember . Everything is hard earned in this league , in this season . Having the players is one thing , but what attitude they come with is something else

Edited by DavidM, 29 March 2014 - 06:57 PM.

#16 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:11 PM

I'd be ashamed of my club and probs consider jacking it in if my club took 5 first choice bulls.. It's making the game a laughing stock tbh. Like what's been said. Kids under 23 trying to make it in superleague I also have no problem with but players like jack Hughes and Gil dudson is abusing the system

#17 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 792 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:40 PM

I don,t know for sure but i would think all 5 have not played more than 10 super league games all together,so whats the fuss,could it be that they are from wigan,never had this when we had the lads from WIDNES?????

#18 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,681 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:34 PM

Clubs suffered from injuries before DR, as I'm sure you can remember. I expect that any true supporter like you will retain that same warm glow of satisfaction when your team achieves a victory thanks to the presence of five SL players making a fleeting visit. It's the same shirt after all, and that's what counts.

BSJ, where have I said that you have to shut up and accept it? Those are your words not mine. I asked you a question which was "so how are you or anyone else going to alter it". It, being the rules as set down by the RFL. Goodness knows there were plenty of people last season trying to get it stopped including myself. In our first match last year we went to Swinton and played against 9 Warrington players (including Paul Wood, Tyrone McCarthy and James Laithwaite all experienced SL players), the other 6 had been on DR then suddenly had signed 12 month contracts with Swinton. Your own team had DR players last season, from the Bulls wasn't it? Have you any this season?

Edited by Keith T, 29 March 2014 - 09:45 PM.

#19 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,681 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:44 PM

Keith you know my views on DR and i have openly said we should never be playing players like gardner its just wrong, While yourself and town fans who were all dead against DR when it was introduced have all changed your views on it depending on how your club have used it. You go on about developing local talent and only using DR to cover injuries!!!!!
Well you have 2 fit props in mcgoff and rowly but neither are selected because you have drafted in james and dudson like last week....why is this ????? yet your star man a hooker is injured and you don't bring one in
Poor off season recruitment has bitten you big style and now instead of using DR to compliment your squad , they are now not only the back bone of your squad but of your team
Playing DR players u23 and who are trying to break into a SL i have no problem with this is like it was meant to be. 
Hughes 23 SL games last season, James god know how many SL games Dudson the same
My view on it will never change even if my club brought in robey, wellens, amor, etc i would still say it is completely wrong, Just  like i did when we played gardner.
seem your club are quite happy to sell their soul at any cost,in the long term DR as you use it will do you more harm than good

As I said H4E, you are backing yourself in to a corner because if Woods gets 4 or 5 Saints players how will you deal with that? Will you boycott the game in protest or will you like all Town fans have had to do go along and support the team/club. You all speak as if the fans have any say in this. How many times during the close season were Town fans asking to know who/if we were signing? To be honest I dislike the system as much as the next person but these are the rules that we have been given despite all last years protests and it is up to each club how they use it.

If it was solely for bringing through young players there would be no problems but when clubs started using players like Paul Wood, Lee Briers, Ade Gardner, Adrian Morley, Kylie Leuleuai and others and nothing was done about it then it opened the door for others. Last year we were with Widnes and used young players and no-one was shouting then when others were using the names I have just mentioned!!!

#20 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:11 PM

I'd be ashamed of my club and probs consider jacking it in if my club took 5 first choice bulls.. It's making the game a laughing stock tbh. Like what's been said. Kids under 23 trying to make it in superleague I also have no problem with but players like jack Hughes and Gil dudson is abusing the system

Well said DTID. It stinks to hgh heaven.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users