Who should be fullback for England?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 JM2010

JM2010
  • Coach
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:18 PM

Watching Saints vs Leeds has got me thinking about who should play fullback in 4N between Hardaker, Lomax and Tomkins. Also should the 2 that miss out still be included in the 17?

#2 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 734 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:22 PM

Tomkins. Next!
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#3 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,112 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:41 PM

All 3 are outstanding but completely different games. I like Tomkins because of the structure he can give to the three quarters. Not a bad selection problem though for the England coach.

#4 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:46 AM

All 3 are outstanding but completely different games. I like Tomkins because of the structure he can give to the three quarters. Not a bad selection problem though for the England coach.

Correct, he can give structure to the 3/4s, but the England coach doesn't seem aware of this.

#5 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,142 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:51 PM

tomkins .............move along 

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#6 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:12 AM

I don't understand why we have to assume the England fullback is going to be Tomkins, at least not once McNamara has relinquished the head coach role.  I'm not saying Lomax should be the next England fullback, just in case anyone accuses me of bias, but rather that we need to keep an open mind.  Australia can afford to use exactly the same spine year in, year out because they have been stand out players in their competition.  Tomkins is no longer in our competition, we don't know how he will go in the NRL, or indeed if a fresh face in the fullback position (and not only that position) would be the difference between coming third and coming top.

#7 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:45 AM

I don't know if he's quite the player as these others being discussed but Grix at Huddersfield has looked the complete full back every time I've watched him play.

#8 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,142 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:28 PM

apart from tomkins you can't look further than zak hardaker 

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#9 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:53 PM

apart from tomkins you can't look further than zak hardaker 

Zak Hardaker was nowhere on Friday night.  He was immobilised by Wellens.  If Wellens can keep him quiet, what hope has he against Australia?

#10 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,112 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:13 PM

Zak Hardaker was nowhere on Friday night. He was immobilised by Wellens. If Wellens can keep him quiet, what hope has he against Australia?

Ryan Hall did literally nothing on Friday night. If he can't score against a depleted Saints side what hope does he have against Australia.

#11 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,710 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:16 AM

Ryan Hall did literally nothing on Friday night. If he can't score against a depleted Saints side what hope does he have against Australia.

I've just had to take another look at the thread title again.Its about England fullback whats it got to do with Ryan Hall.Any way right now I would have Tomkins.I wouldn't read too much into what certain Leeds players didn't do against a depleted Saints team though its only one game,you never know they might get even worse

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#12 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,123 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:46 AM

I've just had to take another look at the thread title again.Its about England fullback whats it got to do with Ryan Hall.Any way right now I would have Tomkins.I wouldn't read too much into what certain Leeds players didn't do against a depleted Saints team though its only one game,you never know they might get even worse

I think he was using Hall to illustrate that one quiet game doesn't make you a bad player.
People called Romans they go the house

#13 bamfordsbeans

bamfordsbeans
  • Coach
  • 174 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:51 AM

Its a long time to the 4 nations -lets see who performs over the season.Do we even know when we are playing yet?

#14 The Scott

The Scott
  • Banned
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:00 AM

Zak Hardaker an England full back. Hahahahaha. You've got to laugh.

Shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Lomax.

Edited by The Scott, 01 April 2014 - 12:14 PM.

#15 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,333 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:09 AM

Zak Hardaker an full back. Hahahahaha. You've got to laugh.

Shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Lomax.

Wow,Saints beat Leeds,Hardaker has a poor game and all of a sudden he should be nowhere near the England setup.Time you got a little perspective.Lomax is wasted at fullback,I thought he was better suited to playing at scrum half.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 01 April 2014 - 07:52 AM.

Got 1500 bass drum lugging,bug eyed monkeys!

#16 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:12 AM

Ryan Hall did plenty, especially given that he hardly had any ball, it's just that what he did, didn't quite come off. 

#17 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,503 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:13 AM

Its a long time to the 4 nations -lets see who performs over the season.Do we even know when we are playing yet?

That was my point really. 

#18 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,066 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:48 AM

We could do a lot worse than consider Sam in the halves with Widdop, and Hardaker (or whoever) at 1.

#19 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,112 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:41 AM

I think he was using Hall to illustrate that one quiet game doesn't make you a bad player.

+1

#20 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,112 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:43 AM

Ryan Hall did plenty, especially given that he hardly had any ball, it's just that what he did, didn't quite come off.

Plenty is an exaggeration IMO. He did okay but didn't do much. I was just using the point that although Hall wasn't world class against Saints it doesn't make him a bad player. As we have seen with Hall he can score wonder tries against Aus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users