Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Who should be fullback for England?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,752 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:03 PM

What did you write on your original post before it was edited?go on tell us

Zak Hardaker an England full back. Hahahahaha. You've got to laugh.

Shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Lomax.

Zak Hardaker an England full back. Hahahahaha. You've got to laugh.

Shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Lomax.

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#22 The Scott

The Scott
  • Banned
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:36 PM

What did you write on your original post before it was edited?go on tell us

I missed out 'England'.

#23 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,592 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:40 PM

Plenty is an exaggeration IMO. He did okay but didn't do much. I was just using the point that although Hall wasn't world class against Saints it doesn't make him a bad player. As we have seen with Hall he can score wonder tries against Aus.

I didn't say Hardaker was a bad player just that Wellens - who is at the end of his career now - kept him quiet.  The game was play off intensity and nip and tuck to the final minute.  It is in those kind of games where we would expect someone destined for international honours to be doing something surely?

#24 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,482 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:56 PM

I didn't say Hardaker was a bad player just that Wellens - who is at the end of his career now - kept him quiet.  The game was play off intensity and nip and tuck to the final minute.  It is in those kind of games where we would expect someone destined for international honours to be doing something surely?

As with every sport,some days it happens yet on others is doesn't.As you say Wellens kept him quiet,could that be due to the extra years of experience Wellens has over Hardaker.I'm sure Wellens was kept quiet by more experienced players in his younger days.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#25 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,029 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:13 PM

That said, Wellens had a superb game - better than he's looked for a while. I'm just glad we're asking "which of these guys should be England FB?" and not "why don't we have an international-class FB?"

Looking at it with the glass half full, it's a nice problem to have.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#26 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,592 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:17 PM

As with every sport,some days it happens yet on others is doesn't.As you say Wellens kept him quiet,could that be due to the extra years of experience Wellens has over Hardaker.I'm sure Wellens was kept quiet by more experienced players in his younger days.

Again, I'm not suggesting that.  But if people want Hardaker as an England fullback based upon his performances so far, which surely that is what they are saying given that is all they have to go on, then it is in games such as Friday night that he should be making a difference.

Edited by Saintslass, 01 April 2014 - 03:18 PM.

#27 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,592 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:17 PM

That said, Wellens had a superb game - better than he's looked for a while. I'm just glad we're asking "which of these guys should be England FB?" and not "why don't we have an international-class FB?"

Looking at it with the glass half full, it's a nice problem to have.

Absolutely.  It makes a refreshing change!

#28 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,482 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:34 PM

Again, I'm not suggesting that.  But if people want Hardaker as an England fullback based upon his performances so far, which surely that is what they are saying given that is all they have to go on, then it is in games such as Friday night that he should be making a difference.

A player has an average game and shouldn't be considered for international honours,is that the point you are trying to make,even players like Sam Tomkins etc have underperformed in "big"  games,if we used your criteria no players would ever get selected.

#29 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,752 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:34 PM

A player has an average game and shouldn't be considered for international honours,is that the point you are trying to make,even players like Sam Tomkins etc have underperformed in "big" games,if we used your criteria no players would ever get selected.

The point is Terry some who is nothing to do with Leeds that has the best backline in the League.GH said possibly our strongest squad not best backline.so please do not scoff at leeds players when they get beat they did not claim to be best in SL nor did fans or the club.Goodluck to Saints backline Probably the best in sL
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#30 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,592 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:55 PM

A player has an average game and shouldn't be considered for international honours,is that the point you are trying to make,even players like Sam Tomkins etc have underperformed in "big"  games,if we used your criteria no players would ever get selected.

No.  What I am saying is that it is in games such as the one on Friday night that an (as yet potential) international fullback should be having a good game.  He should rise in the 'big' games.  Whether Hardaker just had a poor game on Friday I couldn't possibly say as I don't watch him often enough in the intense games.  Like everyone on here I only have limited access to players who play for other teams so that is all I can comment on.  Bearing that in mind I would have expected him to 'play up' rather than have a poor game.

Edited by Saintslass, 01 April 2014 - 04:56 PM.

#31 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,482 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:11 PM

No.  What I am saying is that it is in games such as the one on Friday night that an (as yet potential) international fullback should be having a good game.  He should rise in the 'big' games.  Whether Hardaker just had a poor game on Friday I couldn't possibly say as I don't watch him often enough in the intense games.  Like everyone on here I only have limited access to players who play for other teams so that is all I can comment on.  Bearing that in mind I would have expected him to 'play up' rather than have a poor game.

Ok,how many Saints players have failed to "rise" in big games and had poor games when it matters.As I said these things happen in every sport and to expect players to be on the top of their game for every single game during a season is impossible.

#32 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:19 PM

We are starting to develop some real quality at full back (and on the wing!) in the UK at the moment; it is great to see. The likes of Tomkins, Shaul, Hardaker, and Lomax are really talented players and will ensure competition for the England No1 jersey continues for the long term future. For what it is worth, Tomkins rightly holds the claim to the jersey at the moment but that shouldn't mean it is solely his; in my opinion, Lomax is his biggest rival at present as he brings similar qualities as Tomkins in terms of his ability to play as a third pivot, something which I don't think Hardaker and Shaul are able to do as well. However, the point is, it is great to see competition for places and let's hope it continues throughout the England side and not just at full back.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#33 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,592 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:49 PM

Ok,how many Saints players have failed to "rise" in big games and had poor games when it matters.As I said these things happen in every sport and to expect players to be on the top of their game for every single game during a season is impossible.

I'm not talking about Saints players or Leeds players.  This thread is about potential England fullbacks.  I would never expect any player to play at the top of their game every match, although some do, but I would expect a potential international to play at the top of their game when they needed to, such as in an intense game where it was nip and tuck all the way through. 

That's all I'm saying on the matter as I feel like I've repeated myself a few times already.

Edited by Saintslass, 01 April 2014 - 06:50 PM.

#34 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,482 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:04 PM

You obviously haven't understood the point being made to you,never mind.

#35 JM2010

JM2010
  • Coach
  • 157 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:10 PM

If Tomkins/Lomax played fullback should the other play in the halves?

#36 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,482 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:17 PM

If Tomkins/Lomax played fullback should the other play in the halves?

I'd play Lomax at 7.

#37 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:47 PM

I'd play Lomax at 7.

Lomax isn't a scrum half... he's a fullback or nothing when it comes to the international game.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#38 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,482 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:51 PM

Lomax isn't a scrum half... he's a fullback or nothing when it comes to the international game.

Didn't he start at Saints as a 7?

#39 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,799 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:07 PM

There are some very forgiving folk on here. Hardaker had an opportunity in the World Cup that all of us would have dreamed of and threw it away by acting like a complete helmet. For that reason alone I wouldn't let him anywhere near a shirt until he's proved he's got his head screwed on. I rather suspect many of these Leeds fans weren't quite so quick to offer Long or Hock a second chance, and rightly not.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#40 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:08 PM

We could do a lot worse than consider Sam in the halves with Widdop, and Hardaker (or whoever) at 1.

I'd be more than happy with this
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users